SITREP- Avonte

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Re: SITREP- Avonte

Post by avontepayne10 »

Rangers yesterday we took our class up PT test. I didn’t do as good as I was hoping and quite honestly I’m pretty disappointed but still hopeful that I made the cut for the next class. I got

PU- 56
SU- 88
2mi- 13:25

We had about 30-40 people get dropped today because they failed the PT test. I plan on letting you guys know if I classed up or not when they tell us
11X OPT 40 - Ship date July 9 2019
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Avonte. Any news? I think you mentioned in the Discord that you thought you will end up waiting for a bit which gives you a chance to get in better shape, nothing wrong with that. Check in when you can!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Post by avontepayne10 »

Ranger Disinfertention, yeah so for whatever reason I didn’t make the class up roster which was kind of weird. There were guys who had lower pt scores than I did but still classed up. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I had a psych interview less than 24 hours before the roster got put out so I’m still just trying to figure out when I’ll know for sure that I can stop worrying about that. But in the end it will benefit me in the long run because I’ll have an extra 5-6 weeks to get my pushups and run scores a lot higher.
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Post by avontepayne10 »

To all the Rangers today I was dropped from the Pre-Rasp course due to my background screening. It sucks but it still isn’t the end. I had a 1 on 1 conversation with the 1SGT and he told me that he wanted me to come back in a year, I was told that if I can be successful at my regular unit in for a year and be a good soldier at my unit then they said that when I came back then next time I did my screening they would see that and then allow me to go through selection to Regiment. This absolutely isn’t the end and I plan on coming back one year on the dot.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Avonte,

This is something new they are doing so I can't really relate to it. As you said, it's not the end. I'll update your rank. Please check in with us and let us know where you get orders to go to. There are some good practices when arriving to your unit that can help set you up for success if you do want to return. Just understand that typically the shortest time on station you can do is about 2 years but each experience is different.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Post by avontepayne10 »

Ranger Disinfertention, I’m not too sure how long it will be until I get a chance to come back. When I spoke to the First Sergent he told me the best thing I should do is when I get to my unit to tell my team leader that I want to be the best soldier I can possibly be. I also want to try to get a slot into ranger school at my unit. I figure if I get my ranger tab that would be the best way to prove I can be successful in the regular army. If I can get my tab that means when I come back to selection and I get screened again they will see that I have been successful and will actually allow me to go through RASP 1. I don’t remember where I read it on the site but one time someone said something that stuck with me “you didn’t volunteer to join Regiment because you thought it would be easy.” The road isn’t over it’s just a little longer than I expected.
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Post by avontepayne10 »

Rangers, I got my orders today to 25th ID Schofield Barracks Hawaii, when I get there my main 2 goals will be to get my EIB and get a chance to go to Ranger School
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

avontepayne10 wrote: December 4th, 2019, 4:23 pm Rangers, I got my orders today to 25th ID Schofield Barracks Hawaii, when I get there my main 2 goals will be to get my EIB and get a chance to go to Ranger School
Excellent place to get your first duty station. There are a number of Ranger leaders who go out there. Learn, get better, come back and do it!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Post by avontepayne10 »

Ranger Disinfertention that’s good to know. I’ll get to my actual squad on Friday but not sure when I will meet my leaders I’ll update when that time comes, Yesterday was kind of a wake up call when 3 of my friends that I graduated with were part of the QRF response to the embassy attacks and got deployed on NYE. Even though I’m in a Regular Line unit and part of PACCOM there’s still that possibility of escalation before I get a chance to go back to RASP so I have definitely been making sure I’m in shape and increasing my mileage on my runs as well.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

avontepayne10 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 10:58 pm Ranger Disinfertention that’s good to know. I’ll get to my actual squad on Friday but not sure when I will meet my leaders I’ll update when that time comes, Yesterday was kind of a wake up call when 3 of my friends that I graduated with were part of the QRF response to the embassy attacks and got deployed on NYE. Even though I’m in a Regular Line unit and part of PACCOM there’s still that possibility of escalation before I get a chance to go back to RASP so I have definitely been making sure I’m in shape and increasing my mileage on my runs as well.
Even though it doesn't always seem it... the only job of the greater Army is to be prepared to fight the nations wars... whatever or where-ever that may end up being. It is easy to lose that focus sometimes...

When you get your first counseling be sure to lay out your goals when asked or just do it anyway. Need to keep your TL and SL informed on your plans and what you hope to do in the military.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

avontepayne10 wrote: January 1st, 2020, 10:58 pm Ranger Disinfertention that’s good to know. I’ll get to my actual squad on Friday but not sure when I will meet my leaders I’ll update when that time comes, Yesterday was kind of a wake up call when 3 of my friends that I graduated with were part of the QRF response to the embassy attacks and got deployed on NYE. Even though I’m in a Regular Line unit and part of PACCOM there’s still that possibility of escalation before I get a chance to go back to RASP so I have definitely been making sure I’m in shape and increasing my mileage on my runs as well.
I spent a month TDY on Oahu a long time ago, would be interested to hear about your thoughts on living in Hawaii full time.

Kick ass out there and let us know how you're doing.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Post by avontepayne10 »

Rangers IntelToad and Disinfertention

My unit is a very good unit. Train extremely hard and since I’m in a light infantry unit we ruck a lot. My SL also assigned me to be a SAW gunner which definitely caught me off guard. Normally that spot is for the second in command on the fireteam not the youngest and lowest rank in the entire platoon, so obviously I was pretty excited. My TL and SL are planning on sending me to Air Assault School next month. And my buddy who is also in my fireteam who got psych dropped as well will be going to Ranger School in around May or so. It’s kind of frustrating because even though I know more about our MOS and perform better in situational exercises like battle drills and knowing what to do when shit happens, they like him better because he is considered the more “squared away” private because I have a lot of little fuck ups such as bringing a red pen with me one day, or not realizing I didn’t have a US Army nametape on my uniform like a dumbass. They also like how when NCO’s talk to him he gets nervous and uncomfortable but when they ask me questions, and I just kind of.... don’t I guess. It’s hard to explain cause it’s not me being disrespectful or combative like I have an attitude, to them it’s just as if I don’t necessarily “fear” their rank because I don’t really hesitate or change my tone of voice when they ask me questions. I think it’s dumb but I guess it kind of makes sense. But if they will send him to Ranger School then I know I just have to be patient and wait a little longer before they send me as well. We also have our EIB coming up in September that I really really want to get as well. It’s definitely looking like I’ll be able to have my EIB, Air Assault wings, and possible chance at a Ranger tab before the end of the year, definitely looking forward to the opportunities to come.

As for living in Hawaii full time, expensive as hell but the weather is nice when it’s not rainy season. And something that people don’t mention is the Island just smells nice all the time. Go outside and the smell is just really good. And Schofield Barracks is only like 10-20 miles from Honolulu so I enjoy it overall.
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Sounds like you're settling in and doing well. After a month there, I started getting "island fever" because you could only go so far on Oahu until you hit ocean. Snorkeling and scuba was awesome there.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Thanks for checking in with us. I have indirect knowledge of EIB out across the Army and for some reason it tends to be "harder" or maybe less people care. Regiment has always been watched over closely for their EIB lanes (at least when I was in) because they had such a high success rate compared to the rest of the Army. Amazing what a force can do when everyone wants to train to pass and has a common goal as an organization.

I wouldn't over think the Ranger school stuff. Just use the time to continue to be better at your profession and take it just like you said - a chance to obtain your EIB primarily. Perhaps they think your lack of fear or whatever you project is actually cockiness. Either way, I wouldn't change anything. If it comes up, explain yourself. If it doesn't, being yourself is the best thing to do most days.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
avontepayne10
Infantryman

Post by avontepayne10 »

Rangers IntelToad and Disinfertention, we took an APFT today

65 pushups
81 sit-ups
13:23 2 mile

My grader was my PSG who just got dropped from Ranger School and just came back last Friday. First time I actually spoke to him was today. He is all about Ranger Regiment and is determined to get his tab and send anyone and everyone to get their tab as well. Also nobody got in his line to get graded so I just said “fuck it” and got in his. After the pushups and sit ups portion he asked me what I got on my last pt test and I told him what I got in pre rasp. He said he wants to hurry up and get me to E-3 so I can go to Ranger School so I’m definitely going to be preparing myself for that.

Return to “Letters from School”