SITREP - Connor

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
BlueLiner
Ranger

Re: SITREP - Connor

Post by BlueLiner » January 19th, 2019, 5:36 pm

SITREP 2019019

Rangers, I’ve successfully completed the SIMS portion of training, I’ve learned some cool stuff along the way. We did some simulated missions SOF oriented which was neat. I’m going back on day shift Tuesday so ill be able to go to the gym after school which is nice, and the running in the morning for day shift PT is far better than night shift, I’m going to see if they still run that Ranger PT program. I’m scheduled to do my first real flight on Tuesday so I’m excited as all hell. This final portion of training, flight line, is 4 weeks so after then I’ll be graduating. It really flew by and I’m ready to keep training, flight line isn’t as intense as SIMS was so I can start studying for RASP again. I’m doing my Ranger Physical now so I’ll most likely be on hold for a month or two while they try and find me a slot to Benning, I knew guys who had airborne/Ranger contracts and got held over for upwards of 3 months or so, it wouldn’t be a bad thing because that’s more time to build strength and use the altitude to get my run ready. Took a PT test the other day, got a 269, 60 PU 77 SU and a 13:58 2 miler for my EOC. I’m gonna start working out more and watching what I eat, build strength and cut weight.

I’m looking forward to graduating and getting to the end goal.

-Connor
RASP class 07-19
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop

xray
Ranger

Post by xray » January 20th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Awesome, sounds like you are being smart and staying focused. I wouldn't be so concerned with losing weight, rather more of what you eat and continuing with smart PT.
By now you should have a basic foundation and continue to improve while focusing on your take in front of you.
A co. 2/75 93-96
RS 08-94

BlueLiner
Ranger

Post by BlueLiner » January 20th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Roger, Ranger xray. I’m going on a 4 mile ruck tomorrow so that should be interesting. Gonna finish up my Ranger Physical as well to get my slot started.
RASP class 07-19

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » January 29th, 2019, 5:04 am

Hey Connor. Keep working on your PT, especially your pushups. You have to imagine that whoever grades you isn't going to like all of your pushups so stay focused on improving your form.

Hope you get to do your first live flight today. Check back in with us and let us know how it went.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

BlueLiner
Ranger

Post by BlueLiner » February 15th, 2019, 10:42 pm

SITREP 20190215
AIT After Action Review (What 15W AIT is like and what to expect)

Rangers, yesterday I graduated AIT and joined the ranks of the Army’s UAS Operators, by far one of the coolest experiences I’ve had so far in my life. I met a lot of new friends, met instructors with lots of wisdom to share, and flew UAS which was amazing. Currently, I’m on hold status until further notice as RASP slots for 15W/15E are backed up, and people have told me the wait could be 2 to 6 months till I get to Mother Benning. I’m embracing this long wait time as more opportunities to better myself physically and mentally, preparing myself for what’s coming.

As the title of this SITREP says, I’m going to give an explanation as what to expect at 15W AIT here in sunny Ft Huachuca, because there isn’t much posted about it on here as well as the internet, save for what mission types we run down range.

To 15W/Option 40 hopefulls reading this, this is what to expect on your time here.

THE TRANSITION FROM BCT TO AIT.
Congrats, you’ve passed basic and now you’re on your way to AIT, a land filled with academics, movie nights, PT, and death by power point. AIT will be a wave of freedom in your eyes coming from the restricted environment of BCT land, but don’t let this go to your head, for there are many distractions here that can lead you down the wrong path. For example, don’t eat junk food 24/7, just because you didn’t have those luxuries in basic doesn’t mean you should start pounding candy and fast food every night because it will fuck your PT harder than you could ever imagine, I’ve seen dudes up here with good PT scores nogo their tests because all they constantly do is eat fake food and sit on their ass being lazy sacks of shit, don’t be that guy. Workout when you have free time, the schoolhouse will wear you out during the day but maintain motivation to workout after, it pays off. Next, maintain your military bearing. The Cadre here will treat you like an adult if you act accordingly, if you act like a child then they’ll treat you like one, right place, right time, right uniform, and you’ll be good. Finally, don’t drink alcohol, I’ve seen people get seriously fucked for that up here, article 15s, UCMJ, you name it. It’s not worth it, let the shitbags shitbag and keep yourself on the right path.

PHASE 1: COMMON CORE USO AND UGS.

In this portion of training, you will go through 4 weeks of Unmanned Scout Operations (USO), and Unmanned Ground School (UGS). In USO you will learn the fundamentals of the mission mindset and concepts of UAS, how they’re applied, etc. This lets you grasp the idea of why and how we use UAVs downrange. In UGS you’ll learn FAA material, learning how aircraft work and the sciences behind it, such as weather, how airports work and they’re symbols and jargon, and how to navigate with an aviation map. Common Core gets your toes wet for what’s coming next, because you’ll be in the deep end cone phase 2, sink or swim. Study an hour every night and you’ll be fine, it’s not hard if you apply yourself, don’t be those guys who didn’t give a fuck and recycle 2 times to only get MOS transferred, I’ve seen it happen countless times. DONT BE THAT GUY.

Phase 2: SIMS AND FLIGHTLINE

After completion of UGS, you’ll be platformed in which UAV you’ll fly, either the Shadow or Grey Eagle, if you’re an Option 40 you can only go Shadow, if not then you’re eligible to go both. So SIMS is the simulator portion of training, you’ll work with subject matter experts who’ve had combat experience flying downrange, listen to them and take heed to every tip they give you, the stories they tell you, all of it. Soak it up like a sponge because it only makes you better. SIMS is the most difficult portion of training, in 4 weeks of Shadow SIMS you’ll have 100+ simulator hours flying which is a lot for that time frame. You’ll learn how to start the aircraft, talk to crew chiefs, mission controllers, ATC, etc. You’ll learn techniques on how to fly the AV in patterns to support your payload operator, and you’ll learn how to work the payload. You’ll also learn how to deal with emergencies, they’ll give you a system limitation sheet at the end of UGS, STUDY THIS SHEET EVERY NIGHT, you’ll be constantly evaluated on it, and if you fuck up majorly you’ll get recycled for that portion of training, don’t be that guy. Once you get out of the SIM house and down to flightline, life is pretty easy, flying the real thing is stressful at first, but it’s fun and you get over it eventually, it becomes second nature almost. Not much to say about it really, just don’t be a shitbag and respect the instructors and you’ll be fine.

I’ll post another SITREP in a few weeks, really excited to be one step closer to getting to Regiment.

-BL.
RASP class 07-19

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » February 16th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Think you left some really great things for others to pick up on Conner. This is very worthy of it's own sticky and we'll find a spot for it. Thanks for writing it up, as as far as I read, cleanly.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

Lunch
Ranger

Post by Lunch » February 17th, 2019, 7:43 am

That was a squared away and well written overview BL. Very interesting read for a pre-drone era soldier; I remember how badass I though 4-wheeler ATV's were the first time I saw one...
Aco 3/75 1988-1990
HHC 2/11 1990-1992
Aco 2/3 SFG(A), ODA 345,346 1993-1996
HSC 2/3 SFG(A) CE 1996-1997

My pain is self-chosen

BlueLiner
Ranger

Post by BlueLiner » February 17th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Roger, Ranger Lunch and Ranger Disinfertention.

This school was truly unique, it’s shown me wonderous machines that prove our advantage overseas.
RASP class 07-19

BlueLiner
Ranger

Post by BlueLiner » March 8th, 2019, 2:12 pm

SITREP 20190308

Rangers, today I got my orders for RASP. I’m set to leave here and head down to Georgia next week, I’m excited to finally get this ball rolling. Looking forward to the training ahead.
RASP class 07-19

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV » March 9th, 2019, 6:13 am

Ok, Troop...time to get it done. Remember what Ranger Jim use to say, Never, Never quit!

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » March 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Take advantage of your time there before you class up. Try to give yourself every advantage you can.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

BlueLiner
Ranger

Post by BlueLiner » April 2nd, 2019, 3:39 pm

SITREP 20190402

Rangers, thought I’d give a quick update since I’ve been here at PRE-RASP for a few weeks. PRE RASP has changed a lot from what I’ve read about it on the forum, stuff is different in the sense that we’re given more free time to do productive things like workout and study during the afternoon. The PT in the mornings have been great, we do PU/SU/CU ladders on some days and go running on others. In terms of running, the Huachuca effect is a real thing, so all the running and stuff I did in AIT is really paying off here. We do ruck runs as well which are good. Only negative things I’ve encountered here are some negative nancies and a case of bronchitis I got over the past weekend, but I’m getting better and should be good to go for the class up PT test coming up soon.

I’ll update again as to my situation after the PT test.
-BL
RASP class 07-19

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention » April 5th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Surprised you run into people with shitty attitudes there but I guess they are everywhere... You know the drill. Keep with a good group of folks and it will set you up as best as can be expected.

Hope you get over the sickness quickly. Make sure you take whatever meds you need and get fully healed. Don't walk in half-assed to RASP... that doesn't work out well for anyone.
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09 - 04

BlueLiner
Ranger

Post by BlueLiner » May 9th, 2019, 4:44 pm

SITREP 20190509

Rangers, thought I’d post a quick update cause it’s been a hot minute since my last one. I started RASP a month ago and just got back from Cole Range today, so I’m halfway done. The course so far has been an interesting one, and Ranger Jim’s words of “Never, Never Quit” are literally the keys to success. When you’re sucking on that ruck at 2 in the morning, remember why you’re there.
RASP class 07-19

BlueLiner
Ranger

Post by BlueLiner » June 7th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Rangers, I am happy to report that I have graduated RASP 1 with class 7-19. I want to thank all of you for the mentoring, and the knowledge I’ve gained from this website. I’m looking forward to starting my journey as a Ranger and earning my beret every day

-BL
RASP class 07-19

Return to “Letters from School”