SITREP- Will

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Rednovember
Ranger

SITREP- Will

Post by Rednovember »

Rangers, in less than two weeks I depart for Fort Benning to get started.

I am very grateful for the resources I've had access to through this site. And the people that I've had the privilege of meeting during my few months in the DEP. Thank you, Rangers, who have taken the time to mentor us mentees. I believe I have a significant leg up going in as a candidate for the Ranger Regiment. I will continue to train and study Ranger history until then as well.

I'll post on here from the MEPS hotel on the 4th.
11x Option 40
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP- Will

Post by Jim »

Will, look forward to seeing your progress. Please post regular SITREPs as you move through the training cycles. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Roger, Ranger Jim. I will post as often as I can.

Rangers, I found out today that my ship date will be pushed back to the 6th, instead of the 5th like it had originally been scheduled, due to Labor Day.
11x Option 40
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good luck, Will . . .Stay focused on you goal & continue your PT on your off time. We look forward to your updates.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Roger, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV.
11x Option 40
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Rangers, I am en route to the MEPS hotel with my family. I've gotten all my ducks in a row to prepare for this. Tomorrow is the day I leave for Ft. Benning. I feel prepared, and will train hard to improve. Hopefully I'll be able to link up with a few mentees in basic. Thanks again Rangers, especially Ranger Disinfertention for his guidance, and to Ranger IntelToad for his map class. I will post updates when I can.
11x Option 40
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Hello, Rangers.
I am currently on our Thanksgiving family pass. We are set to graduate December 15th.

Basic/ OSUT has been about what I expected it to be. 30th AG was incredibly boring. It was like Lord of the Flies, pretty chaotic, nobody had any idea what was going on. I think a lot of people thought they were going to start training as soon as they arrived here.

The first 2 weeks at basic were a transition, to say the least, I.e. getting smoked for the smallest things. Ever since red phase ended, it's been fairly lax, which surprised me. I thought the discipline would be enforced more, rather than just the occasional slap on the wrist.

The AIT portion has been cool, we've been learning the basics of clearing buildings, and several of the battle drills.

FTX starts Monday, so we are just about wrapped up with training. My PT score is right above a 280 at the moment, I just need more push ups and sit ups to exceed that 300 score.

My advice to anyone who's going this route is to get a road guard vest as soon as possible and get to the front of formations on road marches and such, the pace is much better and you won't get the slinky effect that being in the middle of a formation brings. Also, carry a SAW or 240, it will suck at times, but it'll make you stronger. And, get in the alpha group for ability group runs.

While I've been here, I've been fortunate to become friends with a few guys who are really focused that also have option 40's. We should have a strong RASP class whenever we get there.

I would say unequivocally that the people you hang around will be one of the biggest factors of your success, as many guys here don't take this seriously. Also, don't listen to the PNN (private news network) because it's usually wrong.

I will post another update in a few weeks.
11x Option 40
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Will, great update. Confirming something for those keeping a low signature: Find good folks, stick close to them and help each other.

I am proud of what you are doing and look forward to our next meeting!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Will, please post frequently so we can share your achievements. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Hello Rangers and mentees, hope everyone had a good Christmas. Apologize for my lack of updates.
I am currently about 10 days into my holiday block leave. We graduated on December 15th. It was good to be done with OSUT, but I didn't feel like I earned the blue cord. I guess by Army standards, I did.
Our company had an NCO who was a former E-6 and served/deployed with 2/75, had been out for several years, but had somehow not been placed as an AIT insert. What a high- caliber individual. It was incredible to have a Ranger with us so early on in training. Some of our training, particularly the basics of patrolling, and clearing buildings, the drill sgts would sometimes just step back and let him run it. He would critique movements down to the smallest detail. I definitely benefited from his guidance.
Leave has been great so far, I am definitely a more patient person than before I left! (Probably far better at cleaning as well) Also realizing how much I took for granted, even a good night's rest, or a home cooked meal.
I am making sure I am not squandering this time off, as physical training is being conducted about every day (running, rucking, weights, calisthenics).
Will be reporting to Airborne holdover upon return, but have no idea at this point how long I will be there. Our Sgt. who does all the orders was still finalizing paperwork on graduation day and we didn't get to check in to holdover.

Arch51 and I have linked up already, as he is on leave as well. We both have the same excitement for what the future holds, in terms of training and so forth. I cannot stress the importance of keeping good company!
Excited to return to Ft. Benning on 1/3 to get back on it.
11x Option 40
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Great sitrep!

It's a tremendous advantage you and Arch have linked up. If you two can use the Buddy System to push each other and improve every chance you guys get, even better.

Keep us posted!

RLTW!
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Hey Will,

I had a Gulf War vet in my OSUT. He was out for several years for an injury and got himself re qualified for service. Same concept as what you got, real asset to have someone like that around that you can take pointers from.

Enjoy your time off and hopefully I can run into you and Kenny this weekend.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Roger, Ranger Centermass.
Roger, Ranger Disinfertention, I also hope we can link up in the next few days. I know Kenny is pulling hard for that as well.
11x Option 40
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Rangers, I have processed into airborne school on 1/10 and am settled in here. Glad to be off Sand Hill!

Our class will not start until 1/16, so we have a few days off. Not squandering this time whatsoever. Have already worked out at the Murphy gym, which by the way is incredible, and did a fast 5 mile. I can see how easy it is to get off course from one’s goal in a place like this with so much liberty to screw around off post or what have you.

One of the other mentees from this site, Boomer, has been training with us too. He seems to be pretty squared away.

Overall, I know I’m in the right place. Enjoying life here so far, but am anticipating the challenges ahead. Staying focused on my goal.
11x Option 40
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Hey Will,

Great to hear from you. Finding Boomer is great news. Continue to rally folks with similar mindsets and especially anyone going to RASP after jump school. Jump school may be tough only in how slow the runs are and silly some of the training is. There is value in it so just have fun.

Is there still a Smoothie King in the gym? We used to judge all the students and butter bars who would hang out over there sipping smoothies but not work out. I'd like to think I've grown up a bit since then.

Tell Boomer to post an update!
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Letters from School”