Sitrep - NAWEIR

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
naweir
Future Soldier

Sitrep - NAWEIR

Post by naweir »

Rangers,

I recently graduated from OSUT at Fort Lost in the Woods as a Combat Engineer. BCT was not even remotely hard other than being older, the younger guys had a tendency to not want to be team players, therefore screwing the team. I graduated yesterday and am currently sitting in a hotel as I opted to not take leave and try to go straight to work for my unit.

During AIT we got to work with C4, Bangalores, and a few other fireworks. I also got some breaching/room clearance work with our manual tools and smaller charges like water impulse and donuts. Watching a door get smooth blown across a room as you stack to clear it is a fucking rush to say the least. Even if it was just sim....

I just tried to become the best at my current MOS as possible and stay out of trouble. I was not the best soldier in our company in my opinion, but my DS mentioned he thought I could have equally been considered for Honor Grad which was humbling because he reamed us consistently. To hear him say that was a big enough deal to me because as much of an asshole as he tried to be, he was my favorite as well.

As you all may remember I struggled with PT prior to shipping. I was able to pass my final test with the following:

43 pushups
70 situps
13:58 2 mile

total score = 249 in the 27-32 year age group.

My goal was to get better which I did, and to complete my 2 mile in under 14 minutes which I also did, albeit barely so. I am not sure what my unit is as my current orders only show as having me going through replacement here on base. I was told I would get my official assignment sometime during that process.

I did not get any schools during OSUT, but no one else did either. The reasoning they gave was something to do with Airborne not picking up again until February and them not wanting a bunch of hold overs to go along with all our profile weirdos. I know my new home has an SF group that if I can get assigned to as "support" apparently it will grant me access to the fun stuff. I had spoken with a E-6 that is assigned to them as a support prior to arriving and he mentioned that most 12Bs do not want to jump out of planes which seems pretty lazy if you ask me. I am going to try to learn and get used to the pace here and maybe I will get my shot that way once I also express interest in going. I also do not have a Ranger Batt here according to what I have been told and read into.

Thank you for the work and service you all have given here. I will continue to get better as running where I am is supposedly a suckfest. We will see how the snow is later this year. Have a great holiday gentlemen and look forward to possibly getting back to business here.
12B

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member

Return to “Letters from School”