SITREP-Cody

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
cody890
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP-Cody

Post by cody890 »

Rangers, I am now sitting at the hotel and tomorrow I will begin the journey of earning my place as a Soldier and a Ranger. I want to thank all of the Rangers on this site for giving us the knowledge we need to prepare for this challenge. I will work hard to improve in all aspects and live the Ranger Creed throughout my training. I will post another SITREP as soon as possible.
11x Opt. 40 DEP
Ship Date 20160920

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP-Cody

Post by Jim »

cody890 wrote:Rangers, I am now sitting at the hotel and tomorrow I will begin the journey of earning my place as a Soldier and a Ranger. I want to thank all of the Rangers on this site for giving us the knowledge we need to prepare for this challenge. I will work hard to improve in all aspects and live the Ranger Creed throughout my training. I will post another SITREP as soon as possible.
Cody, by now you should have all the tools you need to do well in OSUT, BAC, and RASP. Seek out and work with as many mentees as you can locate. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cody890
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by cody890 »

Rangers, I am currently on Christmas leave and spending time with friends and family in my hometown. I am still in OSUT, C Co. 2/19, and I only have a couple weeks left when I go back, one week of that will be the last FTX and then I will be getting all my equipment cleaned up, turned in, and prepare for graduation. BCT is just like everyone said it would be from the research I had done on this site. You meet some of the best highly motivated people with goals similar to your own and you also meet quite a few shitbags. The goal is to always stick with the highly motivated and push on keeping that goal of making it to the regiment. I am in the same platoon as Daniel, another mentee from this site and we work well together, he is highly motivated and wants it as bad as anyone else. Unfortunately he injured his hip and has to get recycled in BCT. He keeps a good attitude and I am sure he will press on and hopefully I will meet back up with him in RASP. There is also quite a bit of other motivated opt 40s and 18xs that I will continue to stick with through Airborne School and RASP.

PT in BCT is a joke for the most part, some of the smokings and field training that we did were difficult at times, which is good, but you really have to work extra in your own time to improve. In my company we do two a days sometimes which helps but in the bay on my personal time I would get with a battle buddy and do some push up and core workouts or run stairs with weight for extra PT. While I am on Christmas break I will be continuing my workouts and reviewing my tasks from the task list. One thing I need to improve on is my rucking, the 12 mile was very doable but the pace in basic is slow and with breaks I know I will need to improve before the 12 mile in RASP so I am rucking while on break and when I go back I will continue to ruck if possible and do workouts to strengthen my legs and lower back. My latest PT test from APFT 5 is as follows:
PU – 71
SU – 81
2 Mile – 13:29
Score – 289
I am confident that with extra work while in my last stages of OSUT and in Airborne School I can get on the extended scale APFT scoring and improve my rucking.

I will post another SITREP after BCT is complete.
11x Opt. 40 DEP
Ship Date 20160920

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, Cody. You can expect to be welcomed back to Mother Benning with a PT test. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cody890
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by cody890 »

Roger Ranger Jim.
11x Opt. 40 DEP
Ship Date 20160920

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cody890 wrote:Roger Ranger Jim.
So how was your welcome back to Mother Benning? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cody890
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by cody890 »

Ranger Jim, my welcome back was good, had a couple smokings to get us back into the rhythm of things haha. I am currently in Airborne hold, I leave tomorrow to the Airborne barracks and start school Monday. I do PT in the morning with my group then I do extra in the afternoons. I am also having a problem with my knee, unsure what it is and I'm not going to go to sick call because I am afraid they will put me on profile and hold me back. The pain is in the back of my Tibia right below my knee and moves down toward my ankle. Unsure what it is but it flares up more from the impact of running not so much rucking or squats. I have been taking ibuprofen in holdover to help me keep training but I know I can't have it in RASP, hopefully with that and streching it will clear up in Airborne. I take a PT test on Monday and will check in then.
11x Opt. 40 DEP
Ship Date 20160920

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Cody, please let us know how the PT test went. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cody890
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by cody890 »

Ranger lunch, I have been icing it and foam rolling the muscles around my knee, it helps and I think it will get me through Airborne but I will take your advice and probably get it checked out before RASP either in pre RASP or I have heard from other mentees that they have not been getting picked up until a few days after they graduate Airborne I may do it within those few days.
11x Opt. 40 DEP
Ship Date 20160920

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Cody, are you in BAC? When will you graduate and begin RASP? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Lunch wrote:I dunno- maybe I would take that approach if I was so certain that RASP won't be a problem for a bad-ass like me. But I'm not, and I wasn't. Thinking that self-treatment will "get you through" Airborne does not sound like someone who is going to smoke Airborne school and own it; it sounds like someone who's planning on getting by and graduating.

Guess I don't understand why you would rather take the chance of being a med hold just before you start RASP, instead of during Airborne school. Your reasons, your choice, I suppose.
100% agree with Ranger Lunch. Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about. Or don't, and learn the hard way.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cody890
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by cody890 »

Roger Ranger Lunch and Ranger Cams, when I reread my first response to Ranger Lunch's advice and then his response to what I said after he had told me his recommendations I understand that I should not have that kind of poor "get me through" attitude and just get it taken care of. I have lowered my mileage on running and slowly building back up and my knee has not been bothering me, if I run into this problem again I will get it taken care of quickly to be able and take on my challenges with 100% effort. 50+1 pushups for falling into that kind of mentality.

Ranger Jim, I am currently in BAC going into jump week next week, I am nervous and excited at the same time. I will graduate next Friday and meet with the RASP Liaison then as well, most of the other mentees have been getting picked up and taken to RASP the following Monday or Tuesday after they graduate so I assume that I will be the same. I am spending this weekend training and getting my stuff ready to go to RASP, I will probably store some stuff at Commandos for free that is not on the packing list for RASP and only take what I need.
11x Opt. 40 DEP
Ship Date 20160920

Return to “Letters from School”