SITREP- Sully2490

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Sully2490
Ranger

SITREP- Sully2490

Post by Sully2490 »

Rangers I arrived at the hotel 30 minutes ago. It's weird leaving home at first but I am more than ready to start the pipeline. My recruiter told me not to even think about RASP and just focus on being the best soldier I can, and take it day by day. I know my excitement will be crushed while at the 30th AG, but I will never forget why I am there. Myself along with the other Mentees will keep each other motivated and push each other to be the best soldiers humanly possible. Thank you Rangers for this invaluable resource and plethora of knowledge you have provided us DEPshits.
B co 3/75
"Quit following me you pasty teabag"
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread member

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP- Sully2490

Post by Jim »

Sully2490 wrote:Rangers I arrived at the hotel 30 minutes ago. It's weird leaving home at first but I am more than ready to start the pipeline. My recruiter told me not to even think about RASP and just focus on being the best soldier I can, and take it day by day. I know my excitement will be crushed while at the 30th AG, but I will never forget why I am there. Myself along with the other Mentees will keep each other motivated and push each other to be the best soldiers humanly possible. Thank you Rangers for this invaluable resource and plethora of knowledge you have provided us DEPshits.
I expect great things from you and all the mentees. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Sully2490
Ranger

Post by Sully2490 »

Rangers, I am proud to tell you today myself along with several other Mentees turn green today. We are waiting to head down for the ceremony. We did our APFT4 this past Monday my scores are as follows: PU- 66 SU- 69 2 MILE- 13:27. Every apft I improve and get better. The only thing on this test was I got 4 less situps than my last apft. My overall score was a 273, I still need a lot of work, my final apft is in a week I'm shooting for no less than a 280. After I complete osut I will be on leave until I have to report to airborne in January. I will continue to bust my ass and learn as there is always room for improvement. A note to all future soldiers, do not be the guy with an option 40 who doesn't know anything about Rangers and their history. I can't tell you how many people thought they were going to Ranger School or just had no idea what a Ranger was. I will uplate as much as I can as my training allows. We graduate OSUT December 16th.
B co 3/75

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, Sean. We expect great things form our mentees. How is your brother doing?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Sully2490
Ranger

Post by Sully2490 »

Ranger Jim, my brother is doing well although he is usually busy talking to his girlfriend. We get our blue cords tomorrow and graduate Friday. I am extremely proud to be an infantryman. My platoon won honor platoon. According to our drill sergeants our company has the highest success rate of RASP graduates out of all other companies on sand hill. My drill sergeant has taught us a lot of useful information and really drilled some in with smoking's. The next step is to go home for 20 days then report to airborne hold January 4th. While on family weekend I met up with a Ranger from 3rd batt who is from my town and got to talk to him about RASP for a little bit. I am growing more and more confident and ready for what's ahead. Yet I must stay focused on each 50m target, which right now is passing airborne.
B co 3/75

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Good SITREP, enjoy your graduation you've earned it.

Keep in mind, and this is very important, your first day back from leave you'll most likely have to take a PT test, so don't go getting fat and lazy over the holiday.

Keep working out everyday because BAC PT is very easy, they're there to teach you how to fall out of an aircraft, not to teach you PT, it's expected at that point as a soldier you'll be mature enough to do it on your own.

But then the real fun begins, you'll be thrown headfirst into RASP smokings of the like you've never seen yet. Guys will quit the very first day, several probably, and the next day, and the next. The weaker you are the more it will hurt.

Smoke yourself daily up til then, seriously. Sweat, puke, grunt and groan. You'll appreciate it when they start dropping all around you and you can still fight on to the objective.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I agree with everything Ranger Cams told you. RASP will make you see just how much you are willing to do to earn your scroll. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Sully2490
Ranger

Post by Sully2490 »

Roger, Ranger Cams, Ranger Jim.
B co 3/75

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Sully2490 wrote:Roger, Ranger Cams, Ranger Jim.
Sean, Please keep us updated on how you and your brother are progressing. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Sully2490
Ranger

Post by Sully2490 »

Rangers, apologies for lack of activity lately. My brother and I graduated Airborne this past friday. We get picked up to go to pre RASP on tuesday morning. Burns is starting RASP tomorrow. Almost everyone from my basic training company who is already in pre RASP quit except for my friends. Apparently we will be in pre RASP for 6 weeks. That sucks but it is what it is, just more time to prepare and have the pussies quit and just leave those of us that want to be there. Airborne school was ridiculously easy. Jumping out of planes was exhilarating, I was nervous before every jump but once out its a few seconds of chaos then complete serenity followed by the "oh shit" realization that the ground comes up fast. Im growing more confident daily in my ability to make it through. I did all of my jumps from the c17, there were batt boys on every jump aswell so that was a bit motivating. The highlight of Airborne was having my friend from 3rd Battalion pin my blood wings at the Ranger Memorial. One thing he told my brother and I was when we get to regiment go to Ranger School as soon as possible because alot of his buddies are getting RFS'd for not going to school. I also have advice to all DEPshits and guys in OSUT or Airborne to go to the PX by dunkin donuts next to Airborne school to go to the ups store inside and buy the RASP 1 study guide, that on top of information provided on this site will set all of y'all up for success, good luck gents. Also to guys going to airborne do not be going out to auburn or columbus and drink you wont get away with it, you stick out like a sore thumb, it is not worth getting dropped for. Lastly stay away from quitters they are a cancer.
B co 3/75

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Good SITREP. Waiting sucks but as you said it's just more time to prepare. Keep moving forward.

You're getting closer to moving from the practice squad to the starting line up in the greatest show on earth.

You may not realize it now, but what you do in the next two months will affect you for the rest of your life, make it worth living every day with that Scroll proudly scarred into your heart.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Sully2490
Ranger

Post by Sully2490 »

Roger Ranger Cams.
First day of Pre-Rasp is done. Got smoked quite a bit. About 21 people quit when we first got here. It's definitely different than osut especially mentally. Because people know it is volunteer they just quit because they don't want to try. From everything the Rangers tell us, RASP and Pre RASP, are meant to build you up to the standard. It is awesome being around Rangers all the time, although they think we are all retarded, we are lucky to have this opportunity to be set up for success by guys with as much experience and combat experience as them. Burns is doing good he is moving onto day 3. My brother and I somehow ended up bunk mates, we are trying to dodge any unnecessary attetion due to the fact we are twins. Ill update everytime I have the opportunity.
B co 3/75

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Sean, good SITREP. Please continue to updated uss on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good Sitrep, Sean . . .stay focused and always do your best.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776

Sully2490
Ranger

Post by Sully2490 »

Roger, Ranger Jim and Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV. Starting today we have to constantly have a 40lb rucksack on during the duty day, its good to see Regiment is taking Pre-RASP more seriously and actually trying to prep us for RASP. We will only be allowed to take rucks off when instructed to. To all mentees, learn the creed, or else you will get used to smokings followed by an mre instead of hot chow. It amazes me how some people can not do simple tasks, such as take your inspectable items out of your pocket. The PT here is pretty solid, last friday We ran 5 miles, my time was atrocious 38:18. I know for a fact I can run faster, I just have to learn to pace myself better and utilize the latrine before hand haha. We did chinups after to simulate doing them after the run on the RFT I did a quick 11 then got down. I will be running more on my off time to get my times down. Running is by far one of my most hated pt events, but I guess I just have to do it till I start to love it. The biggest thing I see guys recycled for especially in week 7 is failing pt or the history/standards tests, I will utilize my time here to ensure I do not fail any of those events. Seeing some of the guys making it far and getting recycled, makes me more confident in my abilities to make it through, they all provide good insight except for the shitheads.
B co 3/75

Return to “Letters from School”