SITREP - Patrick

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
cobrast1ng
Embryo

SITREP - Patrick

Post by cobrast1ng »

Good Afternoon Rangers,

Last time I posted was in 2014 before I shipped. During my training I had been focused on the day to day and the mission at hand. After reading the entries of others posting their progress, I found it really uplifting to read the fine details of everyones experience and where they are at in their journey. One thing that really touched me were the motivating words shared, serving as a reminder to not lose sight of ones true aspirations. To give you an update on where I am and have been, here is a summary:

BCT
I shipped for basic in Oct 2014, where we were all delighted to spend Halloween. We even got to have a "halloween party," dressed as soldiers! Basic training was an interesting experience. It wasn't as hard as one would think, and everything really is on cruise control. Overall it was an enjoyable experience, mostly made by the people you meet and the friends you make. Of course, there is a fair share of stupid that goes on, but reminding myself how I'm going to be serving in a unit where said stupid ceases to exist serves as a positive motivation. My most memorable experience would be throwing the live grenades. Hearing that boom from afar really got the adrenaline pumping and it was just awesome. I was nervous at first and recall my Drill Sergeant saying to me, "shit just got real huh, you ready?" before handing me the grenades, and man was I glad to chuck them as far as I could before ducking!

AIT
Fast forward to AIT. Where in BCT Drill Sergeants only threatened to PCS us to the drill pad, this became a reality here. Quite frankly, I appreciated the strictness they bestowed upon us. Failing a room inspection over a single eyelash hidden away, or having even the most minute droplet of water in the latrine area, was grounds for failure. After the course I understood why attention to detail mattered so much. The course work was tough at times, but doing the hands on training was both fun and challenging. Upon graduating I developed a greater sense of pride and meaning in what it means to be in my field, and strive to live by the values I was taught by my instructors. Something that seems to be lost or never developed by many...
During AIT, a 75th recruiter briefed interested individuals. I thought, given my above average PT score this was my chance I was told about! However, my PSG was able to get me a language slot. On the counsel of my instructors, this was not an everyday opportunity I should pass up.

DLI
I have been at DLI now since June 2015. I did Spanish in HS, but a Cat IV is a whole other story, and it was really rough at the start. It was tough to soak in the fact that many people drop out during the first semester,that a number of students just fail out, and that if you actually make it to the end it's on average a 60% pass rate on the DLPT. Well, I have survived until now, and did well enough to earn a slot to go on immersion in the Arab world. It's mentally taxing, and it is easy to lose motivation. A lot of people feel how DLI makes one feel stupid, and incapable. During my Unit 4 (of 9 graded monthly tests), I failed the modality of listening with a C- (where a B- is already considered unsatisfactory). It was the first and last time I had received such a grade since then. At the time it had shut me down so hard, but my brother and the people around me were quick to remind me that one setback can't be allowed to define you. Even until now, I still feel on edge, but know that it isn't the end of the world and I must keep driving on.

I have been fortunate to have excellent leadership. My team leader came from SOF, and my squad leader is a tabbed infantryman. Both offer invaluable guidance and support. On a positive note, RASP is finally within close reach following IET. I had gotten in contact again with the 75th recruiters and have been forwarded a packet. I have the support of my chain of command, have majority of all the paperwork complete, and will acquire letters of recommendation from my 1SG and CDR in short time. I am optimistic that this is all coming to light, and fortunately RASP overrides a regular Airborne packet since an Airborne slot is already included once accepted so I shouldn't have to worry about a separate packet for that.

At the moment PT wise I am at 85 pu, 90 su, and 13:24 2-mile.
Last edited by cobrast1ng on May 2nd, 2017, 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: SITREP - Patrick

Post by cams »

Excellent sitrep young man. Keep working hard and driving forward. Good things will follow.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Great job so far, keep us updated.

After wrestling with the Russian language, I respect for anyone that can learn a foreign language that includes a new alphabet. It ain't easy.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IntelToad wrote:Great job so far, keep us updated.

After wrestling with the Russian language, I respect for anyone that can learn a foreign language that includes a new alphabet. It ain't easy.
Certainly agree with those comments. I was an advisor to the Saudi Arabian National Guard (SANG), and was absolutely dependent on my IT for everyday tasks. However, almost all the officers in SANG speak English. Attending CONUS military training is regarded as a gateway to success.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Rangers,

I now enter Semester 3 of my course at DLI. It has been a turbulent climb, and the weather has calmed a bit-so to speak. Just three more simulation proficiency tests, then the big DLPT in November. I am optimistic that my immersion next month should benefit me well in the language.

Happy to say, I finalized my RASP application packet and submitted it yesterday. I was advised that I shall find out the results anywhere from one to four months from now. I gave that packet all I had, received letters of rec from my 1SG and CDR, etc; the only thing is now is to wait and hope there is an open slot for me come the new year.

Until then, I am driving on with the mission, and continuing to stay strong in mind and body. Beginning 6 week Pre-RASP workout plan that was included with packet as well.
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Rangers,

Two years ago I had joined this forum, amped, and ready for the Army. I was disheartened when I was stripped of my Option 40 reservation as a result of a waiver for glasses. Two years later, I have remained strong, stayed on track, and prepared myself to grasp opportunity when it presented itself. While I didn't come in with an option 40, I went the old fashioned route of applying and going through the steps.
I am happy to report that my application has been accepted and approved. Received the welcome letter, and packing list information for the moment, and should be receiving a start date for ABN and RASP in the coming weeks.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

That's outstanding. Great job so far young man. I'm confident you'll make it through this goal as well and find a new home in The Regiment.

You fucking motivate me.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cobrast1ng wrote:Rangers,
I am happy to report that my application has been accepted and approved. Received the welcome letter, and packing list information for the moment, and should be receiving a start date for ABN and RASP in the coming weeks.
So, Patrick, you have been accepted to attend BAC and RASP. Correct? What's your report date?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Ranger Jim,

Yes that is correct. I am still waiting for the dates to show up on the ATRRS, but it could be anytime as soon as January of the new year. I have been checking online every day for any updates, but according to the welcome e-mail it said orders from HRC may take up to 4-6 weeks so it shouldn't be too much longer now. Will post as soon as they come in.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cobrast1ng wrote:Ranger Jim,

Yes that is correct. I am still waiting for the dates to show up on the ATRRS, but it could be anytime as soon as January of the new year. I have been checking online every day for any updates, but according to the welcome e-mail it said orders from HRC may take up to 4-6 weeks so it shouldn't be too much longer now. Will post as soon as they come in.
Thanks for the SITREP. Please keep us updated on your progress. In the meantime have you been reading the letters from school thread to give you insight about BAC and RASP? Please memorize the Ranger Creed and start living by these standards. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Jim wrote: Thanks for the SITREP. Please keep us updated on your progress. In the meantime have you been reading the letters from school thread to give you insight about BAC and RASP? Please memorize the Ranger Creed and start living by these standards. Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim

Yes I periodically check in and read others' experiences on here to gain further insight and have found it to be quite helpful. I have the Ranger Creed down pat, and often recite it when I need guidance and need to set myself straight. Not gonna lie, sometimes on the weekends I am burnt and wake up wanting to stay in bed, but all I have to do is say "what would a ranger do?" to quickly get myself up. As for update on dates, alas I still haven't gotten them yet. I have inquired and inquired, but I do not know what the issue is. After block leave I will inquire again, but fortunately I have an extension at the DLI so am not pressed for time just yet. My battle recently was accepted as well, but because he didn't get dates soon enough, branch had to cut him orders upon finishing the course here. (Though, his 1SG went to talk to the recruiters on post and supposedly he'll get to go after 6 months at his new duty station...). Anyway, in the mean time I am still working to sharpen my mind and body. So far I have finished Back in the Fight-what an inspiring read-and now I am reading Sua Sponte. Just the last two weeks my former Squad Leader was personally training me and giving me insight from his experiences at Ranger School. We are almost done, but have been going page by page out of the Ranger Handbook.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Patrick, Please continue to update us on your progress. We look forward to sharing your success. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Rangers,

At long last my time to train has come. I made it through DLI and look forward to being of use to the Regiment using my target language. The S-3 shop at my unit and the HRC have been without a doubt critical for me to continue this follow on training and I can't thank them enough. I am on the ship list to depart for ABN to start at the end of this month. After which I'll be a hold (pre-rasp I think?) before I start RASP in May. Things have really fallen into place and in the past two years, more so than any other period, I've learned to hone my focus and not take anything for granted.

Lately I have been training as best as I could. I realize not being an 11B I may not have a leg up in tactical type training, and thus have been learning as much as I could via textbooks and FMs. I even set out to design my own land nav course scaling my own topographical maps and such for practice, as land nav is one of the things I am concerned about.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Patrick, please continue to update us on your progress. You will find BAC is not very challenging. RASP, on the other hand, will kick your ass. What is your report date? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
cobrast1ng
Embryo

Post by cobrast1ng »

Finally have access to a computer! At Airborne right now and it is going great. At first-in all honestly-the thought of jumping from a plane was trippy as hell. Well now I am more and more excited...Don't get me wrong though, that natural fear still lingers but hey, worst case scenario, my family will get a hefty payday from my life insurance!

I start RASP in May. For what ever reason, my unit is flying me back home, only to fly me back four weeks later instead of just keeping me here. I guess IET soldiers stay as they have no where else to go; as for myself, I guess I don't get to partake in pre-rasp. It is unfortunate as I expected to and I heard it is good preparation. I will just have to continue to train and work hard on my own time back at my unit.

Return to “Letters from School”