Just finished Ground Week

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Re: Just finished Ground Week

Post by romaniak96 »

Thank you, Ranger Cams.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please keep us up-dated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Post by romaniak96 »

Hello Rangers,

Quick SITREP, I've been asking for some signs from the man above on what route to take next and I got 2 emails today from SF recruiters and one recruiter just so happened to walk into the Legal Assistance Office I work at today. I plan on going in a month or two. A quick assessment of where I'm at physically. I kind of took a week off last week due to personal reasons but I kicked off Saturday with a 90 minute morning workout with strength calisthenics (Body weight +45 lb pullups, 5 reps; Body weight Chin Ups + 65 lbs, 5 reps, super setted with dips at the same weight and amount of reps immediately after) Don't really keep track of sets, just try to keep going until I can't do 5 reps straight and then I'll rest as little as possible and try to complete the 5 reps. Just keep going until I get a solid workout in. Any time in between the sets I'm doing crunches for 2 minutes. That same night I went on a solid 6 mile ruck with 50 lbs, didn't time it or anything, just told myself I wanted to jog the whole thing, no walking, which I did. Felt really good afterwards. As far as swimming goes, last time I went about a week ago (I plan on going tomorrow) I could breast stroke the entire length of the pool in one breath which I was kinda proud about. Definitely enjoy swimming and will keep improving. Today I plan on doing a strength workout after work and tonight I'll go on like a 8-12 mile run. I'll keep you guys updated on anything new! God Bless.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Good SITREP. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Keep working towards bettering yourself and your career.

Maybe because I'm getting older, but I would advise caution when doing too much added weight on pull-ups and dips, as well as ruck running.

Good majority of the Rangers here have either shoulder injuries/surgeries to repair rotator cuffs and also knee injuries/replacements and a lifetime of pain to go with it because we were young and head strong and didn't think we could be hurt.

Work hard, but work smart. You get a torn rotator cuff or junk knees it'll be a quick halt to your advancement.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Post by romaniak96 »

Roger that Ranger Cams.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Post by romaniak96 »

Roger that Ranger Lunch. Tomorrow I'll be meeting with an SF recruiter to get this ball rolling.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Post by romaniak96 »

Quick SITREP,
So I sat down with the SF recruiters and we've began the process of putting together my packet. I've already scheduled all the appointments to get my physical done, I have to take a PT test, which they take place every Tuesday. I'm thinking I'll take that on the 21st since I wanna knock out all these appointments that can be walk-in in the morning, next week. I'm going to up my ruck weight to 65-70 lbs, focus really hard on stretching and making sure my body is strong. The class date I'm looking at is 29 March, SFAS 5-17.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Post by romaniak96 »

Roger Ranger Lunch, i did a 6 miler around Fort Bragg with 70 lbs and averaged 13:52 per mile which was on paved roads...I'm going to try and get on some sandy roads though. My goal is to be able to do a 18 miler, 15:00 pace at least with a 70 lb ruck prior to leaving.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

romaniak96 wrote:Roger Ranger Lunch, i did a 6 miler around Fort Bragg with 70 lbs and averaged 13:52 per mile which was on paved roads...I'm going to try and get on some sandy roads though. My goal is to be able to do a 18 miler, 15:00 pace at least with a 70 lb ruck prior to leaving.
Please be careful. The EIB standard for the 12 mile ruck / equipment march is 2.5 hours. Don't risk long-term injuries that will haunt you all your life. I speak from experience.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Post by romaniak96 »

Roger Ranger Jim, I'm just trying to find that fine line of pushing myself to reach my max capabilities so I can be the best I can be and ALSO avoiding injury down the road...I understand everybody is built differently and I do want to be able to run and play with my grand kids when that time comes along so I'm trying to be smart about it.

Ran 7 miles barefoot in loose sand at Wrightsville Beach on Sunday at a 9:00 mile pace so my feet have been pretty destroyed aka mutilated this week and calves were jacked up as well (in a good way) but i ended up running 5 miles the next day for PT (35 minutes) Tuesday: Usual strength workout I do as I described before. Wednesday: 4 mile ruck for PT in the morning...at first I was saying i was gonna take it easy...put 55 lbs in the ruck....put some moleskin on my feet..it was 2 miles out in formation (16:30 pace walking) and 2 miles back release and i ended up gettin back in 22 minutes with a few other highspeed females...these JAG Corps officers are some great runners btw, A LOT of them run marathons, even ultras, etc., so its awesome being able to pt with them. But yeah, I've been soaking my feet in Epsom Salts, putting some Peroxide on them once a day, and just carrying on. Today we did Sports PT and I got a decent workout in as well as having some fun. I'll get back to training on my own either tonight, if not, for sure tomorrow. Do I regret running that 7 miles on Sunday? Not at all, good training on having intestinal fortitude and a great damn work out.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
romaniak96
Soon to be suspended

Post by romaniak96 »

Dear Rangers,

Holding off on SF for the time being. The next date I have in mind is October 29. I don't think I reached the level I want to be at prior to going to SFAS in the time I allotted myself. Rather than just jumping the gun and going March 29, I did a bit of self reflection and realized it made way more sense to wait. I have more time now to build myself up (physically and mentally, more so mentally), mature more, and become a better version of myself.

I'm really excited for the journey I have ahead. I started to lift weights again. I have a new ruck plan an SF CPT proposed to me today so I look forward to starting that ASAP. I have a half-marathon on March 26th I can't wait for. (I think I'm going to try a full marathon next.) I have a PT test May 9th and I'm trying to score a 400 on it. I did 120 sit-ups in two minutes the other day for a little self assessment because my last PT test, they were WEAK. I can do 100 pushups in 2 minutes and I plan on getting 120 reps in 2 minutes by May. My 2 mile run is in the 12:00s which I'm okay with for now as I'm currently in the process of trying to bulk and build muscle. By May, I want it in the 11:00s.

I'm just trying to be the best I could possibly be, be a good person and motivate others to do the same. Positivity, positivity, positivity. I'm realizing the power of the mind and the affect it has on not only on your life but others as well. It truly is mind over matter.
27D OPT 40
DOR 20151102
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

I don't know shit about shit, but falling asleep is not a fucking integrity violation.

That being said, do as many pushups, situps and run as fast as you want. But you let some shithead steam roll you for a mistake without an argument again, you might as well not show up. Fight for what you earned and own your mistakes. Notice I said own, not accept. You made a mistake, own it. Don't accept it. Know the fucking difference between an accepted mistake and a failure... I am not a fan for you leave RASP because you fell asleep following your story. Do fucking better to defend yourself and let them beat you in the face with it.

This website allows me two cents and I took it... so, whatever you need from here - continue. Go to SF, be awesome. Be great on a team. Don't bow down to some bullshit next time.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Letters from School”