SITREP - Patriot

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Patriot
Inprocessing

SITREP - Patriot

Post by Patriot »

Rangers,
I am on my family weekend here at OSUIT. Jimming and I have completed our 9 weeks of basic training. It was easy physically the struggle with it for me was the complete change in my life, it was a shock even though I expected it to come. I only have 3 more weeks of real training in OSUIT followed by 2 weeks of recovery and graduation preparation. I am the APG of my platoon and am in the same platoon as Jimming, we are lucky to have met each other on here and push each other every day. We're hoping that Jimming can get a contract as he mentioned our PT scores are about the exact same. I started out before I shipped running a 15:00 to 16:00 minute 2 mile, my last PT test I ran a 12:23 2 mile. I always read other soldiers progress on here dropping their runs from 15:00 to 13:00 and thinking I could never do that but it came really easy to me and I run as hard as I can every day to get faster. I did 80 sit-ups and 57 pushups. I am working on pushup endurance and am hoping to max my pushups next week on APFT 5. Jimming maxes pushups and I max the run so we are helping each other every day. We will continue to drive on every day and never give up. Advice for new recruits heading to basic would be to do your best to get a 300 before you leave if you have a lot of time and train as hard as you can every day, while also studying the 75th Ranger Regiment and everything on this site religiously, you will be way ahead. The only other truly squared away guys with Option 40 contracts I know are Trey and Jimming from this forum, everyone else is quite honestly a joke in my opinion from my experience talking to them and watching their performance. Jimming and I are the only 2 guys in my platoon that do not have an article 15 or a counseling statement. We take pride in wanting to be the best and will never stop striving to improve in everything we do. Thank you Rangers for taking the time to help out young newcomers in the Army like myself, you have all taught us so much.
1/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Patriot

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Keep up the pace. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Fuego
Ranger

Post by Fuego »

Good SITREP. Stay focused on your goals and don't let anything get in your way. The path is earned, not given.

RLTW
RC 05-00
A/1/502, 101st Abn 97-98
B/1/501, 172 SIB 98-01
B/2/3, 2ID 01-02
A/3/187, 101st Abn 02-04 (OEF1/OIF1)

USARA - LRR4889 (Life Member)

Shoot low, they're riding Shetlands.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Jim wrote:Good SITREP. Keep up the pace. Never, never quit!
X'2, never, never quit!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Great SITREP! Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have not heard from you or Jimming for several weeks. What's up?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Patriot
Inprocessing

Post by Patriot »

Rangers,
I have completed Infantry OSUT training and turn blue tomorrow followed by graduation Friday. After graduation I am being bussed back to the company I'm currently at to be held over for the weekend and will be on a family pass. Monday I am supposed to be headed to airborne hold waiting for the next class, I've been told many different dates I'm hoping before Christmas time I should be finished with BAT. OSUT was very easy they have changed the standards to a very low level. Jimming and I had no problem completing any task or drill and always exceeded standards. Jimming picked up an option 40 contract and we're hoping to class up together for airborne and then RASP later on. We have pushed eachother all cycle having mirrored each others PT and marksmanship scores almost exactly. We were the only 2 in our platoon to not get any type of disciplinary counsel or article 15. I was given many leadership opportunities in OSUT. I was a squad leader, weapons squad leader and APG of my platoon. I learned a lot from my experience as a leader. I will let Jimming speak for himself when he gets a chance to get online, but I am highly motivated and dedicated. Every day I find more reasons to push myself as far as possible and hope to earn my place in the 75th Ranger Regiment. The Ranger liaison came in and gave option 40's a brief on what life is in Regiment and 21 people dropped their contracts at that moment. This worked to Jamie's advantage it was simple for him to get a contract after they all dropped them. He talked about training every single day in a Regiment full of highly motivated, dedicated and competitive individuals that constantly deploy overseas and train all day every day when they are in the U.S., that is exactly what I want. I will continue to give my all through everything I endure in the next few months and can't thank you mentors enough for all you have done for us mentees, getting back on this site has already given me even more motivation. I will post a Sitrep when I get an airborne class date. Thank You for your service and happy Veterans Day.
1/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Could not ask for a better gift for Veteran's day. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Patriot
Inprocessing

Post by Patriot »

Rangers,
I graduated OSUT yesterday and was bussed to airborne right after, I start Monday and begin with a PT test. Jamie unfortunately is a holdover till Monday and then goes to airborne hold. One of the blackhats told us that the 75th is 200% over strengthened on 11B MOS. He said we could be waiting 6 months to go to a RASP class. I don't know how solid this information is but it would be a large hold on my training pipeline as I'm very eager to go to RASP and really begin my career. We are not jumping from the towers due to a 4 day Thanksgiving pass in tower week. It seems like a completely different training environment then what I'm used to but it is an easy course if you follow directions, the current grad rate is at around 94% I was told. The Ranger liaison is coming to brief us tomorrow on our packing list and various other information, hopefully he can clear up some of the confusion on our RASP class date. Having a little freedom is nice but I am staying clear of any bad influences and alcohol, also the women trainees as well. Im going to focus on strictly business and drive on. I will keep you all updated on my progress.
1/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have not heard from you for a while. What's going on?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Patriot
Inprocessing

Post by Patriot »

Rangers,
All I have left to do here at airborne school is jump, my first jump is tomorrow and if all goes well I will have my last two jumps on Wednesday. Graduation is set for Friday and we will be ran to Pre RASP on Tuesday, we start RASP when we get back from Christmas leave. Airborne school is a breeze and a nice break in between OSUT and RASP. I went to Florida to visit my family over Thanksgiving and had a great time. I got my truck and drove it back to Fort Benning and it's really nice to have some freedom and a vehicle to take to buy my RASP packing list and anything else I need in my free time which I completed today. My issue boots were too small so I got a pair of Rocky SV2 and Nike SFB's for RASP along with some fox rivers so my feet won't be as large of a worry as if I wore the issue boots. I have been working on my push-ups, I only needed 10 more push ups in OSUT to get over a 300 PT so I am attacking my weakness there as my old football coach would say. I'm hoping to get at least 71 crisp push ups on the entrance PT test and bump my sit-ups from 80 to 90. My run is at a 12:23 and would like to shave it to an 11:50 in Pre RASP and over Christmas exodus. I am ahead of the game here from all of the knowledge you have taught me here. Very few even know the Ranger Creed here. If my POV is a problem bringing it to RASP I can take it back to Florida over break, but I heard people asking the Ranger Liason about POV's and he said we can get them from airborne after we run there and have a free evening or weekend. I appreciate all the help you all have given me this site is invaluable to trainees. I was lucky to talk with a Ranger from 3rd Batt on the way to Atlanta Airport. He gave me some insight and recommended two different pairs of good boots. I am staying away from the troublemakers and trying to focus on my goals. I'm very anxious to get through training and move on to my career. Jamie is still in Airborne hold and we will not class up together but Trey is here and will be with me. I have not met Ginger or any of the other Mentees I believe they just graduated with Alpha company. I will post an update Wednesday after I complete all my jumps.
1/75
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Good SITREP, keep your feet and knees together.
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Patriot
Inprocessing

Post by Patriot »

Rangers,
I made a new sitrep on accident so I am updating this one. I have since graduated airborne school, attended pre rasp and went on hbl and started RASP when I returned. I am going in to week 3 following my 3 day weekend recovering from cole range. We started with 165 or so and are down to 96 guys we have lost a lot including Ginger from this forum who quit. Glad to be done with cole range and am very motivated, when I graduated from airborne I had no motivation or drive and did very little PT until RASP which I payed for and was sucking a bit but am back in shape now. I have been talking to Jamie who will class up in a month or two after airborne, we both jump this upcoming week. Land nav was pretty easy and I did it with almost no use of my compass. I will keep you updated on my progress.
1/75
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Great SITREP, Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
Retired 95

Return to “Letters from School”