Sitrep- Eric

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Sitrep- Eric

Post by boston0550 »

Hey Everyone,

I haven't done any sitters during my duration at Fort Benning and 2nd Battalion so here is all of them in one. Basic training was it anything special, really all it is, in terms of preparing for RASP, is a chance for you to begin improving your pt score. You should be scoring a 280 or plus on all your pt tests. Seen them take several people's Opt 40 away due to low pt scores. While you are at basic and osut you should be getting used to volunteering for everything. This will pay off in RASP and in Battalion. Basic is boring and shitty just deal with it.

Airborne school wasn't bad at all. You finally get some freedom, this is where most guys get into trouble. Just stick to eating healthy, doing daily pt, and studying. There isn't many secrets left about RASP so you should know what you need to do to prepare yourself. The are more drops from Airborne and RASP because of character issues. Choose who you hang out with carefully and just keep your nose clean. The pt at airborne is minimal. I think we just ran three miles once a week at a grueling 8 minute pace. I had fucked my IT band, the slow pace just made it worse. Jump week was alright just focus on not getting hurt and making sure your reserve doesn't. Open once on the ground. Also during your second week of airborne you will meet with your RASP Liason, this is your last chance to get out of your OPT 40. If you allowed to let all the other weak people convince you that this isn't for you or you are second guessing yourself then please quit. This is the time where guys get a chance at a OPT 40 that didn't get a chance to.

Pre-RASP was in my mind the toughest part of all this. Pre-RASP is just a holding for RASP, they maintain your PT not improve it. They will give you a blue book and a Ranger History Study Guide. You are going to be doing nothing till they release you, no excuse not to know your history and your standards. Right before you go to RASP we had a layout of the packing list that was given in airborne. If you didn't have something from that packing list then you didn't transition over to the next class. I think 30 guys didn't class up with us.

RASP wasn't terrible, I enjoyed it. I won't spend a lot of time because there are so many posts about it that give more detail than probably should. Just keep your nose clean, have all your inspectable items, and don't quit. My class was all 11b except for a couple comm guys, the Cadre loved it. I don't remember Cole Range except for the chaffing scars from it. Also, do push-ups on your own. Our class just ran and rucked, your run time coming in should be sub 13 for a two mile. Most people were running sub 35-34 five miles and people still fell out of runs during the course. Rucks we did a 6,7,8,10 and a 12 mile ruck. You are prepared for the 12 when the time comes for that. During your time off make sure you are staying hydrated and just stay away from game zone. That shouldn't be your focus at this point. We had a kid get peered because he would always go there rather than being be prepared for the next day.if you hinder your team you will get peered. Be a good Ranger buddy. I think we graduated 80 out of 165.

I got sent up to 2nd Batt, at first I was disappointed because of being across the country from family but I enjoy it up here. Everyone is right when they say your toughest day in RASP is the easiest one in Batt. Everyday you are proving that you belong here. They expect to teach you a Battle Drill or another lesson and give a class on it the next day. Just because you made it through RASP doesn't mean anything or matter to anyone. I've seen a lot of friends get RFS due to stupid stuff, alcohol related incident mostly. That's the biggest and easiest way to RFS. Also, know your teammates jobs, you could be asked to fill in on any day. At first I was just a rifleman, within my first week I was a 320 because of people going to school. There is a Ranger Knowledge Handbook online,buy it and study from it. If you know your stuff and act like a man, your leadership will treat you as such. I came into 2nd Battalion at the perfect time, they just got back from deployment so I have gotten the chance to start the training cycle at the start. We are just getting done with MLAT. Now I am just focusing on getting into Ranger School as soon as possible. That should be everyone's main goal. Hope this was informative for everyone.
A-co 2/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sitrep- Eric

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Update your signature to include your company in 2d Ranger Battalion. Now the tough part begins. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Roger Ranger Jim
A-co 2/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Eric, you have not been on the site for almost a month. What's up, Ranger?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Sorry Ranger Jim

I have just been busy with the training cycle, with that and going to the gym trying to go to prove myself for ranger school I don't have much time for anything else. I am currently in con skills week right know. I am in beginner/ advance breather. Learning so much from some great instructors.
A-co 2/75
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

boston0550 wrote:Sorry Ranger Jim

I have just been busy with the training cycle, with that and going to the gym trying to go to prove myself for ranger school I don't have much time for anything else. I am currently in con skills week right know. I am in beginner/ advance breather. Learning so much from some great instructors.
Beginner/advance breather, eh? Sounds very challenging.

Two of my friends are the PI and AI for that. Don't mess up.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Eric, Thanks for letting us know what you are up to. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Just giving a quick sitrep.... Just finished the training cycle and getting ready for my chance to go to surt and ranger school. Just wanted to remind all the guys that are just graduating rasp or are in it, your job can be taken away and all your hard work can go to waste in a second. Lost three RASP classmates to DUI/ drunk underage ( they were passengers). It's not worth it, don't be stupid.
A-co 2/75
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Lots of good advice in your sitreps, thanks for sharing it and good luck moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Nico14
Ranger

Post by Nico14 »

Roger, Ranger boston0550.
11X Option 40

Ship Date: 20180619

Return to “Letters from School”