Charlie sitreps

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Re: Charlie sitreps

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Roger, Ranger JD.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Charlie, how did the week go for you? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Ranger Jim, I thoroughly enjoyed week 3. The jump was canceled due to the clouds being too low, but fast roping was certainly a thrill. I am doing well in terms of Marksmanship, save for my first few attempts at firing a pistol. Last week was very informative, and this week, thus far, has improved my shooting monumentally.
The 10 mile roadmarch was not too difficult last week, but I was showing symptoms of pneumomia throughout the event. These symptoms have persisted, and are slowly but surely improving. Around 10% of the class has the same illness, and the few who got it checked out at sick call got dropped from the course for having pneumonia. I will not make that mistake.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Charlie, I trust you continue to succeed at RASP. How are you doing? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Roger Ranger Jim, I am still going strong. I was forced to go to sick call because some blue falcon informed the cadre that they thought I was going to die from my illness because I was throwing up all over the place and coughing for hours straight. I went to sick call, and pleaded with the medics that I was perfectly fine, but they gave me a chest x-ray anyway. I was diagnosed with a fairly severe case of pneumonia, but I was allowed to continue on since it was not my choice to go to sick call. I was given antibiotics, and even with my state of health I have been finishing every event towards the front, but I am not performing even close to how I was before I got pneumonia. I finished the 12 miler in 2:35, which is decent considering the circumstances. Otherwise, I enjoyed this week of demolition training, and I was not sent to the board (despite people blaming me for getting them sick on peer evaluations). I don't expect to crush the upcoming PT test, but I know that I can exceed the standard even with pneumonia. I will never quit.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

How was the week, Charlie? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

I failed the RPFT by one pushup, and I still have a fairly bad case of pneumonia. I was given the opportunity to recycle and I will be taking it.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IvoryCharlie wrote:I failed the RPFT by one pushup, and I still have a fairly bad case of pneumonia. I was given the opportunity to recycle and I will be taking it.
Take the recycle opportunity. Most RASP candidates are not afforded the opportunity. BTW, I got a medical recycle in Ranger School. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Thanks for the SITREP. One of the most hardcore Rangers I ever knew, recycled RIP two times and made it to Battalion on his third attempt, he never quit. Take this time to recuperate and get healthy. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Charlie sitreps

Post by Grim666 »

I am going to go on the other side here that you are dumb. If you go to sick call and you are genuinely sick you get taken care of and most times a recycle. I am not taking about the sniffles and little toe pain. I am talking about having a hard time breathing and not performing due to it. Things like that. You got lucky. Not for the recycle but that you are not much worse. At that point you can heat cat or wind up in the ER with a few night stay at the hospital and then there is no choice it is a Med drop. At that point you tied everyone's hands. Generally speaking if you are legitimate you do not get dropped. You get taken care of and either you continue or you rest and recuperate. Bottom line is if you feel really bad that it affects your performance you need to get looked at. If you are not giving 100% then that means someone else has to pick up what you can't do. Think about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Roger Ranger Jim and Ranger JD, I will be giving RASP another shot, and I got more antibiotics today, along with a one week profile to recover from my pneumonia. I know that the 75th Ranger Regiment is the organization that I need to contribute to, with all that is going on in the world currently.
Roger Ranger Grim666, I should have gone to sick call at the onset of my illness, and followed up when I was supposed to. I got tunnel vision in terms of completing the tasks ahead of me, and I made a very reckless decision to continue on while I was having clear respiratory distress. I learned my lesson when my body shut down on me during the apft, and I am already feeling considerably better after a day's worth of antibiotics.
I know that if I can complete the course with pneumonia (for the entirety of phase 2), I can do it again, and get significantly more pushups than what I put forth previously.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Will you begin RASP at day one, or will you be integrated into a class that is in progress? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

Ranger Jim, I will be starting the entire course again from day one. I look forward to the challenges ahead of me, and I hope that I will not get deathly ill again so that I may don that tan beret that was within my grasp a week ago. Watching the class 05-16 graduate was one of the more harrowing expereinces that I have ever had, but it did motivate me to try again. I still have trouble taking full breaths, and running is still far more difficult for me than it ever was prior to contracting pneumonia, but the constant coughing and fevers that I was feeling for the past 5 or 6 weeks are gone. I will be going to sick call tomorrow to get off of my profile, and I hope that I will not be med dropped. Hopefully, I will be able to get more antibiotics for the next week, until I have to take the pre-rasp pt test for the third time. Pre-rasp has certainly been the most difficult portion of this course mentally, but i'm taking it one day at a time.
11B
IvoryCharlie
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by IvoryCharlie »

I was not medically dropped, and I will still be classing up again on the 6th.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IvoryCharlie wrote:I was not medically dropped, and I will still be classing up again on the 6th.
Understand you were not a Med Drop. But, ensure you are fully recovered when you begin RASP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Letters from School”