SITREP - DreR

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP - DreR

Post by DreR »

Rangers, Mentees and others.

I am moments away from Reception Batallion. My departure from home was a less than graceful rush of packing, long goodbyes, closing out at my previous work and continued physical preparation. I will keep you informed of my progress on this page.

Thanks for your time and support.
68W OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20141027

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - DreR

Post by Jim »

DreR wrote:Rangers, Mentees and others.

I am moments away from Reception Batallion. My departure from home was a less than graceful rush of packing, long goodbyes, closing out at my previous work and continued physical preparation. I will keep you informed of my progress on this page.

Thanks for your time and support.
You did a good job preparing yourself. I expect success. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by DreR »

Rangers,

I have 3 weeks remaining of BCT. The main events that remain are the final field training exercise which includes the 15k ruck march and the end of cycle physical fitness test. My Last APFT was 64 PU/75 SU/ 12:36 2 mile. I'm disappointed that I didn't improve my push ups from my future soldier training tests (68) while at BCT. I've also lost 17 pounds, unfortunately some of which has been muscle. The nutrition, or limited controlled diet has been one of the hardest things to adapt to. I started at 195 and left at 178 pounds. After two weeks of holiday exodus, a lot of gym time and protein at the appropriate time I am up 4 pounds right now, but most importantly have gained on my push-ups to 70.

The single hardest event so far was the 12k march in full gear (50-60 lbs) that was completed on an empty stomach. We ate an MRE dinner the night before at 1800 then woke for a 0500 formation and then went for it. The pace was 20-25 minute miles with a few latrine breaks. We didn't eat breakfast until 1030. Alone, the distance, lack of nutrition, slow pace, and extended time were not overwhelming. Put together, I was close to empty at the end of the march.

Training has been ok, I feel that that I'm being given a good foundation to build upon in the future. I've reached out to the other option 40 recruits in my training company to mutually encourage one another and to build rapport with them for when we meet further along our training pipeline. One of the advantages that my age, experience, and preparation for the Ranger Regiment has given me is the ability to maintain the presence of mind to operate in stressful situations. This could be, taking direction while in the middle of a smoke session, following directions on a live-fire range, or reacting appropriately to stressful situations created by Drill SGT's.

One of the more mentally challenging moments occurred during the last field training exercise. Our Platoon was conducting react to fire exercises in squad formation. As Platoon Guide I fell in where needed, which was in 3rd squad attached to HQ as the RTO. During the reaction to contact, the rifleman for Bravo Team had a weapon jam (blanks). The BTL instructed him to stay in place while we continued the exercise. At this point I had flanked with elements of HQ and B Team and was moving forward making sure to double tap the enemy casualties before stepping over them. This required a lot of concentration because I was having to perform immediate action on my rifle to unjam it after every round fired. Good practice, but going through these steps while staying in line with B Team required all of my attention. We reached the limit of advance, and I noticed our CO a distance away with the Bravo Team Rifleman. The CO, after finding the Private with no battle buddy had taken him as a prisoner of war. We concluded the exercise and 3rd squad formed up and transitioned to the next training lane.

At this point, I received word to report to 1SG with 3rd Squad Leader and Bravo Team Leader for Enemy Prisoner of War negotiations, we had 20 minutes to report. We gathered our wits and came up with a half brained plan to trade the few items of value in our immediate possession in return for the B Team Private. Forming up in a tactical formation we marched up to 1SG who was seated in a chair next to the Private who was on the ground eating a bag of Reese's as his last meal. How do the Cadre come up with these scenarios is my first thought?? We introduce ourselves and present our first offer for the return of the POW. 1SG is not impressed with our offer of a weapons cleaning kit, ear protection, and a watch. "Privates, do you really think that an American Soldier's life is worth that little?" Our next offer is a little over the top, extra duty for myself, the 3rd squad leader and the BTL until holiday exodus. 1SG excuses to talk amongst ourselves for the remaining 2 minutes that we have until our POW's time is up. We report back prepared to offer our leadership positions in return for the POW, thankfully the 1SG concedes with a detail to police the area in front of the Latrines for trash. Not glamorous duty, but easily accomplished. Lessons learned, from the bottom to the top, Private - not obey an illegal order to remain alone in a tactical environment, BTL - not deliver illegal orders that endanger soldiers under his command. SL and myself, maintain more situational awareness and intervene when necessary to prevent unsafe situations.

While I am frustrated that I haven't improved in PT and about the undernourishment, I am proud to be a part of a training company/platoon where the motivation level and experience of the Drill SGT's shows on a daily basis. I was given every chance to qualify with my M16 as an expert, over two days on the same qualification range I shot no less than 10 times and came close, shooting 35 twice on the same lane. I didn't earn the expert marksmanship badge, but the improvements that I made and the time I spent with my rifle will help when the next qualification opportunity comes up.

I've been the Platoon Guide since we were given the privilege to have one and intend to continue to succeed in this role or step aside to allow other privates the leadership experience. The physical fitness test is this Friday, at minimum my goal is to earn the expert physical fitness badge which I'm one point off on my push ups currently. I'm not going to allow myself to fall short on the expert fitness badge as I did on the expert marksmanship badge. Honor graduate, and soldier leader of the cycle are also goals within reach.

Back to work on Monday. First formation 0530, though likely earlier to emphasize that we are back on the Drill SGT's time.
68W OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please know that the first day back from Christmas Exodus will be a PT nightmare. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by DreR »

Rangers,

I graduated BCT last week. The period from after the holiday leave until graduation was stressful and challenging. For the final APFT I completed 62 push-ups, 77 sit ups and ran a 12:58 2 mile in 20 something degree weather. I can do 13 pull ups right now. My performance fell short of my physical fitness goals.

The final field training exercise was exciting. Organizing the 55 members of my platoon into fighting positions, dress right dress camp sites, details, meals and training lanes while still providing varying levels of coverage of the fighting positions was a challenge that we all struggled with. Too many of my battle buddies were more interested in relaxing and goofing off with the little energy that we had left. After the various DS found one too many people sleeping at their fighting position when they should have been pulling security, when two members of the platoon had their weapons taken from them because they were not within an arms reach and finally when one of the females was found in her tent 40 minutes after wake up our platoon Drill SGT asked the squad leaders and myself to select replacements. For platoon guide I chose the most vocal negative influence in our platoon. A good soldier but for whatever reason, his response to every order was either to tell me to f**k off or at best reluctant compliance while I was present at his fighting position, the moment I would leave he'd be doing the wrong thing again. After informing him of the change in leadership to which I received the now standard response I tossed him the radio I had been assigned with the batteries almost dead and with some sense of relief told him his first task was to track down a Drill SGT to get new batteries for the radio before our communications were cut off. Good luck battle buddy!

From this point forward two things happened. The new platoon guide and squad leaders realized the responsibility of the positions they were placed in and the respect needed from the the platoon members to get the job done. They all did an immediate about face, started to work towards the success of all rather than the "I do what I want attitude." The positive influence of the previous leadership, now dispersed into the ranks also was immediately apparent.

We completed the field training exercise with an easy 5 mile march around post and that evening held the rights of passage ceremony. A few restful and stress free days later I was rehired as Platoon Guide. My leadership and efforts for the platoon were recognized with a Battalion challenge coin.

I'm at Medic training right now. In much more favorable weather ready to get back at it. This reception phase of AIT has been rivaling that of BCT. We finally did PT today beginning with a Brigade run. Our time since arriving last Friday has been kept busy with all day briefings and a couple of days of class.

The message from my BCT drill SGT's and AIT platoon SGT's is clear. Stay focused on your studies and you will succeed. For these first 3-4 weeks we have very limited privileges. Once I have some freedom to leave the company area I look forward to getting in extra workouts (and food) and replace some of my lost muscle mass.
68W OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP. Keep up the effort to succeed and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by DreR »

Rangers,

I'm well past the halfway mark on my training as a 68W at Fort Sam Houston. I'm certified as a civilian EMT and have been learning the Advanced Life Saving/ whisky side of things which are much more engaging than the many hours of PowerPoint slides from the EMT course. It also helps that our whisky instructors are NCO's which has meant a return discipline to the classroom.

One of the first orders that we received from the NCO of our team was that all soldier medics in his class will score above a 90 on each test. In addition any missed homework, to include one question not answered or skipped will result in corrective action. This attention to detail which is required of us has paid off, after having witnessed the verbal and formal punishment given to those that overlooked Homework questions or fallen asleep in class we are all succeeding. Since then our team has the highest average in the first and second module tests in Limited Primary Care and FieldCraft1. We have also been working on our Combat Casualty Assessment, and have a couple of tests this week.

My PT has been progressing slowly, though still showing improvement.

During a diagnostic PT test in early March.
67 PU
82 SU
12:29 run

The record PT test a few weeks ago
71 PU
82 SU
12:10 run

As part of PT we don't do any pull ups which have fallen to a 10 rep max.

Those of us that have passed our record APFT and the national registry EMT exam have been given additional privileges which include going off post. Most of all, the privilege of attending only first and last formations on the weekends is priceless.

Unfortunately, some of my peers are also exercising their freedom to do the wrong thing. It's frustrating watching them fail, and seeing their lack of discipline in something as simple as being able to stand still in formation. Their is a significant correlation between those that can't be quiet in formation and those that are failing either academically or with pending UCMJ action. It is interesting that some of these individuals excelled in BCT, earning promotions under the watchful eyes of Drill SGT's yet here, given the opportunity to do right or wrong, have chosen the wrong path. I hope that the final lessons being taught here will carry with them to their units.

Along the way I've held a few leadership positions in my platoon and as a class leader. It's been a challenge because the emphasis at AIT is for individual academic success. The immediate corrective action that is delivered by Platoon SGT's is very limited. The most we've experienced outside of PT has been 10 PU.

I also had the opportunity to go before the student leadership selection board for student First Sergeant. This was a great experience, which went horribly. I had brain dumped most of the specifics from BCT which were the basis for the majority of the questions from the board. At about the fifth question which I answered, "SGT, I'm not able to answer that question at this time." I was instructed that if I answered in that manner again I would be dismissed from the board. Thankfully I knew the answer to the next few questions.

The main events between now and graduation are two more module exams, graded practical exams, and trauma lanes, a ruck march, and a 10 day FTX. Recent graduates from other companies are reporting a significant wait to go to Airborne school that is well past the ship date on enlistment contracts. I was told that RASP contracts get preference by those same graduates. Time will tell, I'm hoping to move on to my next phase of training as soon as possible.
68W OPT 40

gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

There are pull-up bars all around the 68W AO. I know this because me and the other wannabe Ranger Medics did pull-ups during break time every day.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by DreR »

Roger Ranger gRavepc
68W OPT 40

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

gRavepc wrote:There are pull-up bars all around the 68W AO. I know this because me and the other wannabe Ranger Medics did pull-ups during break time every day.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

I enjoyed reading your sitrep, until I got to that part. Blaming the drop in your pull ups because 'they' don't do them in PT is like blaming your rifle for not being clean.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

DreR, think a SITREP is overdue. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by DreR »

Rangers,

AIT is complete. After a brief holdover period I am beginning Airborne training with the medics that have Option 40 contracts from my company and the previous company that graduated almost a month ago.

The 68W FTX at Camp Bullis was an exciting combination of strength, teamwork challenges, and a small portion of sleep deprivation. We focused on the medics role during convoy, patrol, MOUT, and at the batallion aid station of a FOB. Really good training that provided a good review of the classroom and expanded on the limited scenario learning environment that can be replicated at Fort Sam Houston.

Unfortunately, not everyone was as excited to be in the field as the rest. It seemed as if some had paced themselves for 14 instead of 16 weeks and were generally people that you didn't want to be around at all. Anything that the Cadre or student leadership would ask of them their reaction would be as if it were the end of the world.

While we were fortunate that consistent heat has not yet arrived to the area, we were subject to the beginning of the recent consistent storms that have affected Texas. When it wasn't raining the generally overcast conditions were ideal for training. That is until one day when temperatures reached into the high 80's and combined with near 100% humidity to create a few heat casualties.

Our team was out on patrol on one of the overcast days. Specifically, we were transporting casualties on a SKED and Talon litters from a hasty to a deliberate casualty collection point. During transport, the clouds parted and that's when we felt the heat roll in. On arrival to our deliberate CCP the casualty we were transporting requested to be unwrapped from the thermal a blanket because it was so hot. Serving as the medic, I was task oriented in completing my combat casualty assessment and remember seeing a small group of the patrol element head for shade to recover from the litter carry. I administered a saline lock to my casualty and during reassessment when indicated I converted to an IV. I look up again to locate the sharps container, half the platoon is now seeking cover in the shade. This small taste of the heat to come is enough of a motivation to acclimate as much as possible to the heat that I'm going to be subject to over the coming months.

I learned a lot at FT Sam Houston and look forward to continuing my education. My recommendation to future 68W students is to figure out what works for you as far as your study techniques. I scored a couple of 70's on the EMT module tests before realizing how useful a study tool "EMT Academy" for my smartphone is. The multiple choice practice quizzes are very similar to to the actual tests and when you get an answer wrong, you are not only given the correct answer but told why it is correct.

My focus is now back to my physical fitness and staying injury free. Most of the time at FTX was focused on heavy lifting during the day, and a pull up bar on our limited free time at night. Back at FSH along with others we have been focused on running and swimming. One of our platoon SGT's even had us doing the Airborne shuffle everywhere which worked really well to acclimate to the heat. It also made me appreciate that the shuffle following chow is downhill back to the barracks.
68W OPT 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Great SITREP, DreR, BAC is the next step. Hope you have continued with your pull-ups. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

With all the rain happening causing casualties across Texas we are grateful you are now done soon to be moving from the area. However, you will be doing more of the Airborne Shuffle while in BAC. Keep the sitreps coming, keep P.T. On your own & never, never quit.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by DreR »

Rangers,

I've graduated Airborne school. Airborne school was mostly amazing and also a test of patience in the harness shed. I enjoyed a few more freedoms such as no longer having a formation immediately before bedtime and accountability on the weekends is only to our student leadership (SSG, and SGT's that are living in the barracks and here on the course). I wasn't able to get an overnight pass while at Airborne but I did enjoy a very restful 4 day weekend following Airborne graduation. That may total a full year with only two weeks off for holiday block leave. That thought leaves me slightly burnt out, which is the main reason that many of my peers have dropped their RASP contracts.

I shipped here with 35 68W's with a RASP contract from two AIT Companies and at this point only 14 are carrying on to RASP. Some got kicked out of Airborne all together for failing the PT test, while others signed an official counseling to drop RASP and continue on with Airborne training.

For me, the reminder of the training to come, both the physical and mental challenges of RASP and the academic challenges of SOCM are plenty to keep me motivated.

The Airborne course is an interesting mix of students; 60 rising sophomore cadets were from West Point, another group of ROTC students and then recent AIT graduates and regular Army Enlisted and Officers. We started with close to 400 students and graduated with 372 after dropping around 40 for the PT test, another few as heat casualties and then some from injuries. We also gained jump week recycles the previous company and sent roughly the same amount of jump week recycles to the next company after activating their reserve on the ground.

As far as the PT test the focus is really on completing the 42 perfect push ups. On my last PT test I did 71 push-ups. I was nervous for the Airborne PT test so I slowed my reps down significantly. After 20 push-ups I started going in sets of 5 just to make sure to maintain the muscle capacity to do them perfectly. One minute fifteen seconds in I completed my 42nd push up and was ordered to recover. The run was a mess of people, after beginning about 100 people back from the start line I completed the run in 12:21.

The amount of students is a lot, but the system that is in place to train is solid. When the blocks of instruction are delivered the Cadre don't just present them to us, but (in their own words) sing them. It's an organized choreography/theatrics of various demonstrators going through the training instructions for the day while the instructor narrates the whole process usually without even looking over his shoulder at what's happening at the tower/gravel pit/ or apparatus behind him. It's really entertaining to watch as long as you remember to actually listen to the instructions rather than just focus on the theatrics occurring. Spot reports were given out to students that fell asleep during class. Two spot reports and you're done.

The biggest challenge of the training for me was getting my foot placement correct as you jump out either the left or right door of the mock aircraft.

Our company had originally planned to jump 2 hollywood jumps on day one. A combat equipment jump followed by a hollywood jump on day 2 and a combat equipment night jump on the evening of the third day. The first 4 jumps for me were out of a C-17 in little to no winds in the Georgia heat. I was seated in my chock immediately before the break off man, and as a result was the first man out on 3 of 4 jumps While this gave me more opportunity to focus on my vigorous and purposeful exit it also gave me plenty of time to stare out over Alabama and consider the wisdom of my choice to volunteer for airborne duty. By no means is it natural for me to jump out of an aircraft, but that feeling of being under canopy is such a relief and worth the blast of 130 knots of wind and the resulting confusion as I go through the proper exit, check body position, and count to six. My first jump was amazing, as the first out the door I compared my rate of descent and realized I was in a thermal. I had time to locate the shade structure where we get picked up and pulled a slip to head towards it. I eased up on my diagonal slip as I approached twice the level of the surrounding tree tops. With little wind I pulled what seemed like an appropriate slip to prepare for a PLF and took the advice of SGT Airborne, "Hold what you've got!"

The night jump was entirely a different story. At this point the process of rigging up and the nervous anticipation has been replaced with the reality of how uncomfortable the entire process is. I've blocked from my memory the exact timing of how long we were subject to the harness shed torture, but once a small evening storm had cleared we were on our way. The first lift took off at dusk, loading onto a C-130 and a C-17. On their return two chocks plus a portion of my chock was crammed into the C-130. Once in the air, the ride on the C-130 was jostling either from weather, or the different characteristics of flight which I had become accustomed to on the C-17.

For the entirety of jump week we jumped 8 jumpers per door one door at a time. Totaling 16 jumpers per pass within the 26 seconds that are available to aircraft traveling at 130 knots over Fryar drop zone. For this jump I was the 5th jumper exiting from the assistant jumpmasters door. Once given the green light, I locked my arm holding my static line and waddled my way forward with my combat equipment and jumped into darkness. As soon as I was under canopy I saw lightning striking off in the distance, awesome! I looked down and immediately noticed that for once winds were present. I began to prepare my weapons case for release, but had to stop on noticing just how fast I was drifting towards the edge of the DZ. I shifted my attention to holding the appropriate diagonal slip to stay on the drop zone. At this point I see jumpers 6,7, and 8 headed toward the edge of the DZ. Holding that my diagonal slip with one hand, I released my ruck and weapons case, shift to two handed slip and with knees and feet together while keeping my eyes on the horizon execute a decent PLF. The feeling of landing safely on my final jump to graduate Airborne School was amazing.

As soon as I undid my canopy release assemblies I check the tree line and sure enough 10 ft or so above ground level is the 7th jumper hanging from a tree. He had activated a Chemlight to signal for help and a cherry picker was on site within minutes. The 6th jumper had landed on a road near the edge of the drop zone, and the last jumper penetrated the trees and landed safely on the ground. The C-130 made one more pass overhead but didn't release any jumpers and returned back to the airfield over half full.

A Hummer drove by me and stopped by the 4th jumper from my door who had also activated his Chemlight. After he approached the Hummer I never saw him again. I secured my 100+ pounds of equipment and began the ruck to the pick up point, not really knowing in which direction to go, I just began walking into the wind. I looked for the 4th jumper but couldn't find him and figured that he was picked up by the Hummer. Eventually I came to a rise and off in the distance confirmed that I was heading in the right direction when I saw the lights of the pickup point. The whole time lightning was striking, but at a distance that the associated thunder was not yet audible. About half way to the pick up point, the thunder became audible, winds picked up even more, and then it started to rain. Not much I could do at this point, but decide to take advantage of the opportunity to get some PT in and double time/shuffle to make it safely back before getting hit by lightning. jumpers 6,7,8 were brought back by Hummer while Jumpers 3 and 4 linked up and made their way back safely on foot arriving shortly after I did.

It was a relief knowing that the jumpers that ended up in and near the trees were uninjured. Following an accountability formation we were bussed back to the harness shed to the remainder of our company. Sitting on the benches in complete silence with equipment stowed behind and underneath them were some very sad paratroopers. Chief amongst them were jumpers that were on the C-130 that were never given a green light after the first pass out two jumpers into the trees.

The remainder of the company jumped Thursday morning, while those that jumped shook chutes all day. On Friday, Graduation practice, and execution went by so quick that I wish that all graduations could be this way.

Following a brisk jog from Airborne to RSTB I am now at Pre-Rasp waiting to class up. The amount of voluntary withdrawals is growing daily so I hope to be a part of the next class. In addition, I have my packing list at 100%, which according to the cadre will knock out another group of candidates. The task is pretty straightforward here, acclimatize to heat. When needed, volunteer for details to add some variety to your day. I wasn't able to get on to any of the details to assist with Ranger Rendezvous, but I do look forward to taking my turn on a detail at the aide station.

When we are released for the day, which has been in the early afternoons I gather up some motivation or borrow some from my Ranger Buddy and go the gym or for a run or swim to stay in shape.
68W OPT 40

Return to “Letters from School”