Long overdue SITREP

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
PAhunter21
Ranger

Re: Long overdue SITREP

Post by PAhunter21 »

The PD seems like if I have orders for drill weekends or AT there is nothing they can really do about it. Of course, if I fail since I missed something it would be on me. It's actually my NG unit that seems to be the one making things easy on me. As soon as they found out I was starting the Academy they pretty much told me if happen to be able to make it to a training event before I graduate that's cool but if not they'd see me in 6 months. Weird thinking of the Army as my part time job but that's exactly what it is I guess. I'm very grateful for that since studying codes and laws is most likely gonna whoop my ass and require some/a shitload of weekend studying.
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

As you've seen, there are several LEO's on the site that have posted up various bits and thoughts. Some haven't. Feel free to hit any or all of us for advice via PM when it comes to learning the job. There are guys here ready to retire that have forgotten more about the job than most ever learn, guys in the middle of a law enforcement career chasing the dream still, and guys just starting out, drinking from the firehose. Somewhere, one of us might have something useful to pass along, it's just a matter of reaching out.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Does your academy require you to live there full time? If so its good that the Army is helping and understanding of the situation.

The police dept may not be able to help during the academy but once you've graduated they really have no say when it comes to drill weekends. Some of your supervisors may not be happy about it but I believe it's federal law that they cannot punish you in any way for attending drill and must also hold your position if you get deployed somewhere.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
PAhunter21
Ranger

Post by PAhunter21 »

Houston PD Academy is a commuter academy I guess you would call it. Home in the evening and weekends. That still hardly helps though since at least half of the drills we have scheduled are a Fri, Sat, Sun drill. Which I didn't even know were a thing before I got there.

Fatboy, I definitely hope to be able to reach out and get some advice here soon. At two weeks into the Academy, I don't even know what I don't know yet. So, when I figure that out I hope to be able to get some help on here for sure. Thanks
RASP 7-13

RS 10-14

C co 2/75 Punishers
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

TX Army National Guard Recruitment

https://tmd.texas.gov/txarng-recruitment

This ought to give you an overview of what may be available for you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Letters from School”