Passed IBOLC but failed Ranger, passed RS on 2d try

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Icarius
Embryo

Passed IBOLC but failed Ranger, passed RS on 2d try

Post by Icarius »

Rangers,

I have been at Benning for about 6 months now. IBOLC was a fair enough introduction to soldiering and got me very excited for becoming a PL. I was fortunate to have an awesome platoon trainer and some very solid E-6s to learn from. I know there is still much more for me to learn. I was originally slotted to start Ranger back in October, however a minor shoulder injury pushed me back to November with class 1-14. I was put into Charlie Company and then very quickly dropped for land nav. I don’t know what to say. Land nav has never been a weakness of mine. Both times I had three points with plenty of time left for my fourth point but could never seal the deal. During BOLC we spent an entire week out at Red Diamond and before I went to Ranger we again did two refresher courses at Red Diamond. Every time my pace counts, route, and azimuths were in good form and I have had little trouble on most of my points. Yet, when it really mattered I failed. It was a hard walk back to the start point yesterday on my second try.

I have wanted to go to Ranger School for a long time. I read my posts again from when I first introduced myself over 5 years ago and my intent is still the same. I was given the chance to PCS to Lewis or a final chance at Ranger School in November. I opted for another shot. I don’t want to leave here without what I came here for. Also, I am afraid that if I PCSd I would not be able to get sent back due to me being a branch detail and everything that is going on with the budget. I know more time would do me good but I have had a lot of time already and I know that I am ready and capable. It’s also good because of the shoulder injury I was unable to ruck for the entire month of September and I learned at BOLC rucking was one of my weaknesses. I passed both 12 milers but never had more than a couple minutes left to spare. I am also hoping that we will get a few more chances to practice land nav on a course that isn't Red Diamond.

I hope that come January. I will get to write an update with a pleasant ending. Thanks again for all the insight this forum has provided me.

-BLG
RS 02-14
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Passed IBOLC but failed Ranger

Post by Jim »

I'm sure you are disappointed. Work hard and try it again. I did the mountains twice. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Icarius
Embryo

Post by Icarius »

Rangers,

I started up with class 2-14 back in November and I am very pleased to say that I graduated Ranger School this past Friday. Ranger School sucked, I froze my ass off, and I never what to do it again. However, I am sure glad that I stuck around and got it done. I learned a lot and probably forgot just as much. I start Airborne on Friday and hopefully can get into a Stryker Leaders class before I get out of here. I can't wait to get out of Benning and get to Lewis. I will be going to 3rd brigade 2nd ID. I can't wait to get a platoon. I still have a lot to learn but I am ready.

RLTW!
RS 02-14
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent! Take care of your soldiers!

Your title was updated,
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Re: Passed IBOLC but failed Ranger, passed RS on 2d try

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Great job never quitting! Good luck in Airborne School.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Florida Ranger Camp is 21 - 28 degrees, with a wind warning (10 - 21 MPH winds).. And the Georgia ARNG are mobilized for the snow and freezing temperatures.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Like Ranger Jim said years ago, anything worth doing is worth doing twice. Good on you for gutting it out with the 81% of us that didn't make it through the first time.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater

Return to “Letters from School”