SITREP- John

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP- John

Post by Jim »

jth456 wrote:blueskiesalways,

I am so grateful for this website. The posts from the past and the forums on the 75th Ranger Regiment have given me so much insight on what this lifestyle is about and what it takes to be a Ranger. I also couldn't be more thankful for all of the Rangers on this board, especially Ranger Jim, who have kept me motivated throughout this long journey. I am very fortunate for that and thank them so much for it.
Don't thank me for doing my job. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Jim.
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Rangers,

Weeks 6 is now in the books and went great. At the beginning of the week, the team divided events and sent both platoons to different training. 1st platoon did breaching and 2nd platoon did more marksmanship. Breaching was amazing. On Monday we got familiar with the different methods of breaching and the equipment that the 75th Ranger Regiment uses. Later on that day, we observed as the cadre demonstrated the different methods. On Tuesday, we got to the range and practiced mechanical and ballistic breaching. We used the M870 for ballistic breaching and we used the hooligan tool and the donker for mechanical breaching. We spent about 5 hours destroying doors! It was a blast! Wednesday was our final 5 mile run. Everyone in the class passed and I came in at 33 minutes. It wasn't my best time but I still finished in the top 10. Later on, we went to the range and learned how to construct explosive charges for breaching. We built one in a buddy team and set them off. After that, we built 3 more charges for the next day. Today, we had our last 6 mile forced march which wasn't bad at all. After that, we headed back to the range to set off our charges that we made the day before. After that, we headed back to the barracks and took out breaching exam. It was very straight forward and I would say that everyone in my platoon passed with flying colors. We are now released for the four day weekend. Going to spend this weekend preparing for the final PT test on Tuesday. It's hard to believe that we only have 6 training days remaining. Can't wait to start week 7!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Don't do anything stupid in your 4 day pass. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Jim.
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Rangers,

I've completed week 7 of RASP. This week was focused on marksmanship with some moving. Tuesday we had our final PT test. About 14 guys failed and will have a retest this coming Tuesday. Later on, my platoon went to the range to start more marksmanship training. We first zeroed in our EOTech's at 200 meters (never really used optics in OSUT. Really liked these). My shot group was perfect on the first round. After we zeroed, we confirmed at 200 meters with steel targets. On Wednesday, we confirmed our zero at 300 meters with steel targets and then we qualified (300 points) at 200 meters (prone unsupported ), 100 meters (kneeling aggressive and kneeling passive), and 50 meters (standing). Everyone did great. Thursday, we were taught all of the shooting/moving texhniques. Today, we practiced more of those movements and then qualified with a 20 round magazine. From what I have heard, everyone qualified. I am getting so excited, knowing that we start week 8 soon and that graduation is in 7 days! Still, I'm not going to let that get to my head too much and I will continue to focus on completing each day at a time until I don the tan beret and scroll.
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Rangers,

Today marked the best moment of my life: graduation. Along with the rest of class 09-13, I donned the tan beret and scroll and can't even explain all of the emotions that I am feeling right now. I have received orders to 3rd Battalion and can not wait for the constant challenges that lie ahead. I want to thank each Ranger on here who kept me motivated and encouraged to finish strong and earn the title. Ranger Jim, I will soon post that experience letter.

RLTW!!!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulations Ranger jth456!

Welcome to the Ranger brotherhood.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Thank you, Ranger Steadfast!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

In addition: Three weeks after you arrive in your Assigned Ranger Battalion send me a PM to remind me to send you a welcome/verification packet.

Again, congrats Ranger.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Steadfast.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Packet sent.

PM inbound Ranger.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jth456

Post by jth456 »

Brothers,

It has been a hot minute since I have been on this forum and I apologize for that. I didn't even realize that it has been nearly a year since my last post. Time sure does fucking fly. Anyways, things are going great. I had thought that I had came a long way when I graduated RASP.. but that was just the beginning of a long road and I can definitely look back at where I used to be and say that I have grown, matured, and am significantly more knowledgeable than I was when I first got to Batt. From the looks of it, I should be going to SURT in December and start my next big step in January, Ranger School. More updates on that will come once I return home. I am ready for it and look forward to overcoming this obstacle so I can further my career here.

To everyone else on here who is attempting to get into Regiment,

Good luck. It isn't an easy one, but it is worth every single ounce of blood, sweat, and tears in the end. They will tell you upon graduation of RASP that it only gets harder when you get to Batt. From personal experience, I can agree to that statement. It does get much harder. However, in return, you will learn more than you can imagine. It's a whole different world here... definitely something that ya'll haven't experienced yet.. but at the end of the day, you get to look back and realize how much more you know and how much better you perform than the vast majority of people in the conventional Army. Stay strong, motivated, and don't fucking quit.

Return to “Letters from School”