SITREP- Runna22

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Runna22
Inprocessing

SITREP- Runna22

Post by Runna22 »

Hello Rangers,

At home on Christmas Exodus Leave. Right now I'm at week 5-6 of OSUT. This will sound repetitive but everything that has been said about OSUT has range true. But I will say it is one thing to read it and acknowledge it, but a completely different thing to actually APPLY it once you get here. I completely admit I wasn't good at this, I am glad we have this leave so I can get perspective and come back with a more hardy mindset.

Personally, I almost have a lock for the Iron Mike competition in my company, although it is not guaranteed like anything else. It must be earned. I also was named PG and haven't lost my position yet, and so far I think I have done a good job at it given the circumstances. Those of you who have had this understand the challenges with the position. Those of you who will be PG understand that all things that suck end eventually and it will always make you better.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few pieces of advice that I think haven't been mentioned yet:

RUN your ass off BEFORE you get here. Your running times will decline throughout OSUT. It sucks but with all the training you have to be given there is not much time for serious PT.

Bring your own running shoes, despite what the packet your given says. The shoes at 30th suck.

Practice doing all of your pushups to the floor, coming up as ONE unit EVERY TIME. Especially if you have a high PT score (as you should), the standard will go up as I found out the hard way. The better you are the more that is expected from you, but that should never be an excuse to sandbag. It is reason to excel and meet the higher standard every time.

Learn everything about the M4 that you possibly can before coming here, but I would NOT shoot it until I get here unless you have someone to help you learn how to shoot the way the Army will teach you. This really helped me get a leg up on Rifle Marksmanship.
RASP class 06-12
2/75

Mentee to Ranger HakweeRgr
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: SITREP- Runna22

Post by K.Ingraham »

Good sitrep Runna. Your opening comment hints at something worth mentioning: one of the toughest parts about basic (any branch) isn't how "tough" it is, it is the transition from civilian life into our institution the culture shock that nothing will prepare you for. Moving from an overly indulgent society into an istitution with exacting standards, adapting from "me first" to variations of "groupthink" is tough enough, and then there's getting up in the morning a half-hour before you used to go to bed! Now that's a bitch!
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Runna22
Inprocessing

Post by Runna22 »

Well graduated Airborne on Friday in the pouring rain with the Tornado Sirens screaming in the background. Apparently there's some old legend about that. Anyways we get picked up tomorrow... FINALLY. It's been almost a year since my DEP started and it's finally here. It's almost surreal but it is now time to prove myself and accomplish this goal and nearly lifelong dream.

Some further advice I feel I can give to the guys coming through. The last two weeks of OSUT are the biggest waste of time on Earth; PT will be sporadic and on your own at best. When you get off for personal time or when the shitbags are cleaning after you've done your part get out of the CTA and do sprints back and forth on the sidewalk outside of the CTA along with your normal calisthenics. Also no matter how tired you after after the training days at Airborne hit the gym and the track up and get after it. Airborne is awesome but the biggest test of your patience and your capacity for boredom. Use the AUDIE MURPHY gym as much as you can, it has the best equipment and space to kick some ass. Don't fart around after you're done for the day go eat change and get after it.

Also be careful in Airborne, they give "counseling statements" for almost everything, stay disciplined and FOLLOW THE RULES. They kicked out an NCO going through the 18D program for showing up hung over. Especially for the young guys who may succumb to peer pressure easy, don't do it if it's not what they're supposed to do. At the end of the day the only opinion that will matter is the officers and NCO's appointed above you.

Take care and see you on the other side.
RASP class 06-12
2/75

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Dam good sitrep Paratrooper!

Congratulations Runna22, wise words to the youngsters.

You can select a new avatar from tactical if you wish or any other that you have earned.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

excellent sitreps. Too bad the DEPs aren't reading or acknowledging these.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

SITREP- Runna22

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Great SitRep, Paratrooper.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Runna22
Inprocessing

Post by Runna22 »

Thank you so much Rangers. Avatar updated. I greatly appreciate everything, and I really hope the DEPs at least read this stuff. We're pretty much giving it away here.
RASP class 06-12
2/75

Runna22
Inprocessing

Post by Runna22 »

I almost can't believe it Rangers but I graduated. I did my best, 100% and then some every time. I'm going to 2/75. RLTW. Now on to the hard part.
RASP class 06-12
2/75

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulations Ranger!
Now the hard part begins.

I'll be sending you a packet. Three weeks after you arrived at your Ranger Unit, complete & return the packet to me via PM.

You can update your avatar to the 2/75 Scroll (if you wish), you've earned it Ranger.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Outstanding SITREP. Now the tough part begins. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Congrats Ranger!
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

SITREP- Runna22

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Outstanding, Ranger . . .welcome to the brotherhood.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Outstanding young jedi--now the hard part begins, especially as you're joining the only batt with actual terrain features to train on. 8)

RS 9-76

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

K.Ingraham wrote:Outstanding young jedi--now the hard part begins, especially as you're joining the only batt with actual terrain features to train on. 8)
Word. And the only place on earth besides the rain forest where it rains so much.

Congratulations RANGER!!!!! You did good bud. Something that few even attempt, and which fewer are accepted.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Letters from School”