SITREP

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

SITREP

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

Rangers,

Just finished Basic Combat Training at Fort Knox, and I can surely say I am glad to get the heck out of there and on to my next phase of training. Basic at Knox was not quite what I was expecting, not as bad as I thought it would be (A lot of guys in my platoon did not feel the same way). It also wasn't as "hard" as I was told it would be, the biggest thing we all found out was that as long as you keep your head on straight and get what you need done, done. You'll be fine.... For the most part.

Right now I'm starting the second week of AIT here in Fort Sill, OK. Things are A LOT more relaxed here, and I've been trying to get the other guys in my class (Mostly also from my company in Ft. Knox, and mostly also OPT40's) to try and get together for more PT, we haven't had to much since we've been here, mostly due to scheduling mishaps. From what we hear, the main focus here is running... Which is fine by me, the only thing besides my run is still my push ups that I have to work on. I'm fortunate to have a lot of squared away 'Battles' here who are helping me with it, some were recommending vitamins and supplements and what not, not so sure about that part.

Last week our main focus was Commo, I personally found the class interesting, a few of the other guys were dozing, but that's to be expected I guess, passed the test with a 100%. This week we're going into Land Nav (Started it Friday after the Commo test). It seems like the whole class is already pretty squared away on the basics that they taught us at BCT. Should hopefully make it pretty easy for us to build up on that foundation from Basic.

As for the group I'm in right now, out of the whole Battery, I'd say we're the most squared away it seams. The other groups/classes are definately... Relaxed, about everything. Our's isnt perfect, not by a long shot, but we've definitely got them beat on discipline and keeping our heads on straight. I can kind of see why the Drill Sergeants in Basic were always so pissed all the time, just the way the other groups are acting gets to me some times, but then I kind of take a step back and think "Hey, at least I'm not like that, I know I'm going to succeed where they're gonna fail" that sorta thing keeps me going some times.

My best advice for anyone headed off to Basic... Keep your head on straight, take in absolutely everything your Drill Sergeants and Cadre members have to say to you, whether it's a class about Land Nav, or it's about Finance, you can always take something out of the lessons. And keep yourself and your battle buddies squared away, it'll save you time that you can use to get the best out of your training.

- Atrum Rivalen
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

Re: SITREP

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

Roger Ranger .,

Supplements are a NOGO.

- Atrum Rivalen
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Good SITREP. Stay away from the supps, eat the food.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Reiver
Ranger

Post by Reiver »

Strangely enough, all my FSOK AIT Instructors were USMC, two months of learning how to be a "conventional" FA FDC. Never did it again after assignment 2-75, FLWA, all FO work.
V/R...Reiver sends

Course 5-78
B/2-75th INF, 1976-79
Ft Bragg, NC, 1981-2006
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Continue to work and associate with strong soldiers. Never, never quit!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

Figured I would give a little update,

Just finished up my qualifications to be a FISTer, completed both my Polar Plot and Grid live fires with a 95% on both of them. Right now we're going over map overlays, then FTX, then our classes on CAS then I'm basically done.

Word going around is that most of us OPT40 guys due to go to Airborne school are getting held over until December/January. Not sure why, just trying to stay focused.

The herd is already thinning, people are trying to opt out of their RIP Contracts. There's still a good strong handful who are focused on the objective.

- Atrum Rivalen
Reiver
Ranger

Post by Reiver »

Keep the Faith, Lad, keep the Faith.
V/R...Reiver sends

Course 5-78
B/2-75th INF, 1976-79
Ft Bragg, NC, 1981-2006
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Reiver wrote:Keep the Faith, Lad, keep the Faith.
Amen! Be patient and stay focused. Remember you have to earn your place in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Never, never quit!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

Rangers,

Another update.

Originally from the time we were on our FTX (Two weeks ago) till three days ago, we were told that we would be in Airborne Holdover at Ft. Sill for possibly up to mid March. Most of us tried to shrug it off and make the best of it, more time to study, more time to work out, this that and the other thing. But as I said, this was up until three days ago, when one of our NCOs told us that he had good news and bad news, we asked what the bad news was, he had said that he had to leave and pick up a new instructor, the good news was that once we got back to the barracks we should start packing, all Airborne Holdovers were leaving this Thursday. After practically interrogating him for five minutes we finally believed him. We all scrambled to get our stuff packed, some people to get a bigger bag. But we're all on our way out now, in no time we should find ourselves jumping from the sky under deployed parachutes (Hopefully).

I'll update when I can, not sure what the electronics policy is down there.

-Atrum Rivalen
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Stay focused, remember to contact me when you get here as discussed.
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Eyes on the Prize! Next step is to become a paratrooper! Stay focused and never quit!
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Tadpole

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

In processed for Airborne School today. All sorts of briefings and what not. Six people who had RIP/RASP contracts dropped them today, four of which I went to basic and AIT with. We all got talked to about what it was all about, and that if we had any doubts if we wanted to do this or not, to just drop it.

On the other side of the coin, one guy who was supposed to have it in his contract, but didnt for some reason when he left Ft. Sill was not allowed to get a slot, he was devastated (He had always wanted to do this). We were all trying to find a way to get him a slot, but it's not looking very likely.

We have a PT test this Monday, staying hydrated and motivated.

Update when I can,

-Atrum Rivalen
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Again you see how well things go when you are properly prepaired. Never, never quit!!!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Good news Atrum-Rivalen, enjoy BAC.

You can select a new avatar from Tactical or 1 of your own if you wish.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Letters from School”