SITREP Ribot0

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Ribot0
Ranger

SITREP Ribot0

Post by Ribot0 »

Good evening Rangers,

I am heading into my MS3 year this fall, and I just got back from Air Assault school at Fort Campbell. I am really glad that I got a chance to go. I found the school to be pretty straightforward and had fun rappelling. Not even close to as much as jumping though. I learned a lot from talking with my roommate who was in the 82nd and 173rd with time in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Right now I have been holding steady at around a 300 PT score. I will be spending the summer working full time at Enterprise renting cars out and doing PT after work. My goal is to go into my MS3 year with a 310 PT score.
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Congrats on your bullwinkle badge and good job on your PT. Don't let vacation make you soft, keep up the hard work.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Alright, another summer has passed. You owe us a SITREP. Not just an entry. You may have forgotten my guidance, but I have not. Now beat your boots until Ranger Cams gets tired.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Well done! That Enterprise program is very good from what I hear.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Ranger Ndog, thank you. Will do.

Ranger Jim, beating my boots. Here is a more full SITREP.

I am currently settled into a routine that I think will keep me on track throughout the summer. I work five days a week, from 7am until 6pm, plus every other Saturday. I then PT after work, and then relax for a bit in the evening. I have been doing 4-5 mile runs, push ups, abs, pull ups, and dips. I switch between focusing on the run and focusing on calisthenics.

Ranger PocketKings, I am enjoying working for Enterprise. The company is built up around customer service and puts a lot of focus on business ethics and effort into developing their employees. I like their policy of only promoting internally, and they have a lot of good people there.

Since getting back from Airborne school my freshman year I have always debated dropping out of college and enlisting with a RIP contract. I know that is my only guaranteed shot of becoming a Ranger in a Ranger Batt. Every single person I have met, including prior enlisted, have told me not to do it. I just hate being a student and want to be doing bigger and better things with my life. In my mind, the best way to do that is to be a Ranger. My GPA is only a 2.7, which makes me worried about not getting branched Infantry. I have always done well on standardized tests, and poorly in class work, grades and GPA. My current plan is to stick it out through the summer, go into MS3 year as well prepared as possible, and see where I am then. Rangers, your guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Ribot0 wrote:I have always done well on standardized tests, and poorly in class work, grades and GPA. My current plan is to stick it out through the summer, go into MS3 year as well prepared as possible, and see where I am then. Rangers, your guidance would be greatly appreciated.
As a teacher, and hopefully not out of line here, I have a comment to offer to you, young grasshopper.

Being good at tests, and poor at classwork, indicates you may be relying on your inate mental talent to get you through, and not the added effort that higher work requires. Classwork is effort on a daily basis, not for a moment, but for a whole semester. That is a different skill than being brilliant for a standardized test.

One key is to figure out what your instructor is looking for in the assignment. How? Go talk to them about it if you can. Go talk to them afterwards if you got a lower grade than you'd like. NOT to whine about the grade at all, but to ask what he or she was looking for, to find out what you missed, and to begin to figure out how to come closer to the mark for the next assignment.

Also, don't let tests during the semester sneak up on you. There is no excuse for floating along and then cramming. Get at it every day - review on your own, join a study group, or find a partner to work with. Some classes take daily work, others can do with 2x per week, but do not expect one read through the text book or a review of your lecture notes to be adequate preparation.

And speaking of notes... if you need to, get some help with how to do that; it can make a huge difference.

Figure out what the instructor is looking for in their assignments, and aim for that. It's not your class, it is theirs. For better or for worse, they are the ones who command that arena. Knowing how to read an authority and meet their expectations is a life skill that will serve you well.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Rangers, Soldiers,

A good deal of time has passed since my last update. My goal for PT this semester was to come into the year with a 310, and my diagnostic APFT in September was a 309. My end of semester record APFT was a 317 with 76 push ups, 85 sit ups, and a 12:40 run. This winter I will be swimming in addition to running and PU/SU improvement.

I am still relying too much on my natural talent in school rather then good scholarly habits. I had trouble turning in papers on time freshman year, but this semester I have met all my deadlines with assignments, exams, and paperwork. I'm studying hard this last week before finals and hopefully it will pay off. I served as a squad leader in ROTC, which taught me about leadership, planning, and communication. My evaluations were an even mix of E's and S's. I'm looking forward to next semester when the training gets a little more advanced and challenging.

I have become more active in my fraternity here at school, and learned more about leadership here than with the Army this semester. I have been serving as a social chair, fundraising chair, and am now the Vice President. It is much more difficult trying to run events and get people squared away here than in a military environment. Its amazing how many people won't follow through when they give you their word, or sham out when you ask them to do something. I learned a lot about doing the right thing even if its not your responsibility, and how you need to approach different people in different ways in order to get them to do things. I am still working part-time with Enterprise Rent a Car, mostly just for a little spending money. I have been investing most of the money I make there into mutual funds with the goals of long term capital growth and appreciation.

I'm still moving along towards my goal of becoming a Ranger. I've got my sights set right now on preparing for LDAC this summer and succeeding there. I have let my cadre know that I am looking to get any training I can possibly get this summer, and already applied for a summer CTLT Flight Training Program with the North Dakota NG. The cadre also have been talking about several Sapper slots made available for cadets, and I would do anything to get one of those.

Now its time to get back to studying... only another week till finals are over.
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Rangers,

I've made a lot of progress this year, and have seen some big changes from where I was last spring. A year ago I was taking 13.5 credits and pulled a 2.6 gpa, now I am taking 17 and with one exception got all B's and A's on my midterms. My class that I am having trouble with is German, and I have been working closely with the professor and a tutor to make sure that I stay on top of things. Ardent Lady, I have followed your advice and its helped me greatly. Thank you.

I am also getting a great deal of leadership experience in my fraternity. Getting thirty undisciplined and unmotivated guys to accomplish anything has been quite an adventure this past year. I cleared our house of a $6,000 utility debt, set up and enforced a maintenance plan to keep it presentable, have kept record books of finances and ran alumni events such as poker tournaments and bar nights. I've seen what works, and what doesn't work in terms of leadership. Its helped me learn to keep my attitude focused and how to communicate effectively.

My PT score dropped to a 305 over this winter, I let the cold get to me. I have returned to my usual training schedule of PT every day other than Sundays and Wednesdays. My goals are to get a 320 on my LDAC APFT, complete a 12 mile road march in under 2:40, and run a half marathon by the summer.

I am going to 2nd Reg for LDAC, and then to the CTLT internship at the University of North Dakota flight training program. I don't have much info on this, but it consists of flying helicopters for about a month. I'm still moving towards my goal of commissioning in the Spring of 2009. My branch choices are IN, AV, AR, EN.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Good update. Keep it up. You seem to be on track. Best of luck in LDAC.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Rangers,

Another semester has ended, and I'm still on track with my goals. I leave on Monday for LDAC, and will be in 2nd Reg. My PT test a few weeks ago was a 319, and I feel stronger than ever now. We had a LDAC prep FTX which focused on day and night Land Nav, and I hit every one of my points all weekend. I am confident in my abilities, and have all the basic OPORDS down solid. I am ready to go. After LDAC I will be going to the University of North Dakota for a flight training internship.

Next fall I will be the company commander in my ROTC program, and in the spring I am on track to commission. I have finished up my terms in my Fraternity positions, learning a great deal, but will be stepping down my involvement in them for next year. I am debating signing up with the local volunteer fire department to hopefully gain some skills and experience. I have lurked here for the past two years, soaking up advice given on the board and using it for motivation. I am sure I will become more active as I start to move out of ROTC and into the Army.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Best of luck in LDAC. I imagine you'll be a top 3 PT stud. Since you're doing flight training, can I assume you're looking to branch AV?

FYI - Dont' tell anyone, but I was super confident until I failed my first day land nav at Advanced Camp as a cadet. Only time ever in my whole career. I have no idea what happened, but it shook my confidence for a while. It did, however, force me to pay better attention which paid off later on (IOBC, RS, EIB, etc.). There's a lesson in that somewhere.

Again, enjoy LDAC.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dave, you've come a long way. As I told you long ago, luck has nothing to do with it if you are prepared. You are well on your way to success. Now just continue to beat your boots until Ranger Cams gets tired. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Ranger Pocketkings, Thanks. My plan is to ADSO either Infantry or Aviation, depending on my experiences with flying this summer. I've always loved Aviation, but have wanted to do Infantry stuff since I was a kid. I'm going to try my best to stay focused, no matter how competent I think I am in any event. I understand that even the best prepared can have a bad day, and if something happens I won't let it bring be down.

Ranger Jim, beating my boots. I will never quit. Its time to go do this, I will post a SITREP once I get back from LDAC.
Ribot0
Ranger

Post by Ribot0 »

Rangers,

I just made it back to the real world from LDAC and CTLT flight school. LDAC was an interesting experience, to say the least. I got an overall S rating with 6 dimensional E's. Despite not getting an E, or top 5 in my PLT, I feel that I performed well above average. I used common sense and worked to keep everything as efficient as possible when in leadership, putting taking care of everyone else as my number one priority. My strong points were being extremely supportive of everyone in leadership positions, tactically and technically strong, and having a solid work ethic. I got picked to be RTO and recorder by every one that had the chance. I got a 322 on my PT test, above my 320 goal. I got 7/8 day and 5/5 night land nav, being one of the first three in the regiment to finish each time. I shot marksman with 34 hits, and completed all Recondo tasks. I will post a in-depth write up and AAR of my time at LDAC for Cadets going next year in the O-Club.

I then attended the Helicopter Flight Training Program at the University of North Dakota. It consisted of a ground school class every morning, and a flight lesson every afternoon. We flew Schweizer 300 helicopters. I picked up flying quickly and soloed after 18 hours. I finished the course with 19.6 hours, and passed my check ride. I got a very good evaluation. This course has almost no military involvement whatsoever, and was a blast. I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in flying.

I am now heading into my MS4 year. I will be acting as the Company Commander, captain of the Ranger Challenge team, a TAC, and running the Army Ten Miler. I am looking to continue to improve my PT score, and score a 330 before I slip into the 22-24 age bracket in November. During all this training I have come to see that I have a ton of unrealized potential, and lots of learning to go. I need to start focusing more on my upcoming career. I have given up my Fraternity officer positions, and am switching my focus to academics and the Army. After flight school its been a real tough choice between Infantry and Aviation, but as of now my branch choices are Infantry, Aviation, Armor, and Engineers.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Obviously, it has been a busy summer. Sounds like you continue to develop your skills as a warrior. Please give me a call when you are in town for the Army Ten Miler. I usually attend at least part of the AUSA convention.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Letters from School”