SITREP - Jimming

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP - Jimming

Post by Jimming »

I am sitting at an airport terminal currently awaiting my flight to Atlanta and the bus ride to Benning. This is a very strange feeling. I have waiting the majority of my life for this, and now it's happening. Thank you again to all of the members of this site for advising me and many others. I will try to post updates whenever I am given the opportunity.

- Jamie
11X
SHIP DATE: 20150728
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Jimming

Post by Jim »

Jamie, it has been a pleasure watching you mature. Work hard and earn your slots in BAC and RASP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

It is currently family weekend here at OSUT. I am in the same platoon as Patriot (Ryan). Him and I are doing great here.

He's got his Opt. 40 and is heading to airborne right after we graduate in early November.

I am currently set to go to Texas to a mechanized unit. I am also on the list to compete for both Option 40s and airborne contracts. My last 2 pt scores were 276 and 273, and on this last APFT I'm going to push for a 300. Running is my weakness right now, but I know I can speed up just a little bit more. I am confident that I will be able to get an airborne contract at the very least.

Both Ryan and I are like the top 5% of our company for PT. The average for our company is about 230. He is a scoring the same as me (~275) but he is having some trouble with pushups. We are both competing and helping each other improve our weak spots.

Most of the guys here with Opt. 40s have no idea what the contract is for, and/or they are extremely under prepared. Most of them are losing their contracts for shitty PT, or they are dropping their contracts because they don't want them anymore.

For those of you shipping out soon, keep your mouth shut and pay attention to detail. Work to improve at least a little bit each day. And most importantly, stay motivated and never quit.

If you have questions about me or Patriot I will try to answer over the next 2 days.

- Jamie
11X
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good Luck and keep us updated when you can. Continue to work on your PT on your off time, it will pay off.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, Jamie. Remind Patriot (Ryan) he owes us a SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Fuego
Ranger

Post by Fuego »

I actually came here from Patriot's SITREP. It's great to see your determination thusfar; use it to your advantage and accomplish your goals. The path is earned, not given.
RC 05-00
A/1/502, 101st Abn 97-98
B/1/501, 172 SIB 98-01
B/2/3, 2ID 01-02
A/3/187, 101st Abn 02-04 (OEF1/OIF1)

USARA - LRR4889 (Life Member)

Shoot low, they're riding Shetlands.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Fuego wrote:I actually came here from Patriot's SITREP. It's great to see your determination thusfar; use it to your advantage and accomplish your goals. The path is earned, not given.
So true, so true!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Great SITREP, it's always better when you have a "Ranger" buddy to help push you in training. In everything you do push harder than you think you can, always striving to do better each and every time. Give everything you've got, every time you give and never, ever quit! RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jamie, How about a SITREP?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

I graduated OSUT on the 13th. It was an awesome feeling having finally reached this milestone. I am currently a holdover at my battalion, and I leave for airborne hold tomorrow. We've had a 3 day pass here so I've been enjoying a bit of freedom before getting back to training. A word of advice; don't do anything stupid while you're on pass. Lots of people do irresponsible things on pass and fuck up their futures.

On week 11 the Ranger liaison came by out company. He is very good at his job. 60-70 guys were sitting in a classroom, plus myself and 7 others who wanted to pick up contracts standing off to the side. By the time he actually started doing his brief, 25 people dropped their contracts and only myself and 3 others were qualified to pick up option 40s. He talked about RASP, asked some questions, and explained who few people would pass RASP, and how even fewer would be retained. After the brief was over, he told everyone but me and the other 3 to leave. Us 4 sat down and started signing the paperwork for the option 40. While we were signing the papers, 3 more guys came back to drop their contracts.

Since I got the contract so late in the cycle, it took a while to get my new orders and packet put together. Now I'm going to be a week behind Patriot at airborne school, however I should still be in the same RASP class as Patriot and Tre.

I'll be a holdover at airborne school starting tomorrow and I am going to take advantage of my free time to improve my running which is my weak spot.

Picking up a contract as infantry right now is pretty difficult from what I understand. I got fairly lucky that so many people dropped their contracts. The liaison said they are 140% overmanned for infantry in regiment, and that he hadn't given a contract out in 4 cycles. However, if you absolutely must get a contract during OSUT like I did, there are a few things you must do. Get a good PT score is the obvious one. I would say a minimum of 250, but you should really be 270+. The higher the better. The next thing is developing a good reputation. If your drill sergeants think you're retarded, they probably won't help you get a contract. If they don't like you, they won't help you. There were a few cases like that in my platoon, and none of them got contracts. Lastly, you need to find the liaison, he will not come to you. When he comes, he will not come looking to hand out contracts, you will only get one if you come and ask.

That's all for now, I will update again once I class up for airborne.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Anything new, Jamie? Have you met any of the others from armyranger.com? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

I'll try to keep this somewhat brief. There were some fuckups in my medical packet, so I was sent out of airborne hold, and then immediately sent back into airborne hold after my packet was fixed. Right from the onset, things here have been jacked up.

I've been here for 2 weeks now. I was supposed to be slotted for the first class in January after HBL. However, the people here who run airborne hold on Sand Hill fucked up again. They told me that my medical packet was cleared and that I was good to go for the class in January. Then, they announced the roster for that class, and I wasn't on it. Upon speaking to the 1SG, I found out that they had forgotten that I was in airborne hold. Mind you, this is after I've been here for 2 weeks and they had supposedly been handling my medical packet. It turns out that they never actually had my paperwork or my packet, and I was never technically here. They just got my packet yesterday after realizing that they didn't have it, and blamed me. So now I have no clue what's going on with my packet, or where I'm going after HBL. I'm just waiting to hear from our NCOIC or our 1SG about what's going on. I'll let you know what happens when I find out.

- Jamie
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:I'll try to keep this somewhat brief. There were some fuckups in my medical packet, so I was sent out of airborne hold, and then immediately sent back into airborne hold after my packet was fixed. Right from the onset, things here have been jacked up.

I've been here for 2 weeks now. I was supposed to be slotted for the first class in January after HBL. However, the people here who run airborne hold on Sand Hill fucked up again. They told me that my medical packet was cleared and that I was good to go for the class in January. Then, they announced the roster for that class, and I wasn't on it. Upon speaking to the 1SG, I found out that they had forgotten that I was in airborne hold. Mind you, this is after I've been here for 2 weeks and they had supposedly been handling my medical packet. It turns out that they never actually had my paperwork or my packet, and I was never technically here. They just got my packet yesterday after realizing that they didn't have it, and blamed me. So now I have no clue what's going on with my packet, or where I'm going after HBL. I'm just waiting to hear from our NCOIC or our 1SG about what's going on. I'll let you know what happens when I find out.

- Jamie
Welcome to the Army as many of us have experienced it at one time or another. Getting lost in the training system is very frustrating, but very common. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim. I haven't lost motivation and will continue to train and prepare myself.
11X

Return to “Letters from School”