SITREP - DreR

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
GreySpe95
Inprocessing

Re: SITREP - DreR

Post by GreySpe95 »

Great posts DreR. Pre RASP will drag on, make sure, absolutely sure your packing list is 100%. Also, if you get the chance to volunteer for the RRC detail you should do it, it's much better than sitting on the rocks all day.

Workout as much as you can now, you won't have as much time or motivation to during phase 1. Don't eat crap food. The cadre who you'll be learning from are the best, keep your mouth shut and your ears wide open.
RASP isn't impossible, hundreds have done it before you, just get over the suck.
Last edited by GreySpe95 on June 27th, 2015, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B Co 3/75

Never quit
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

One of the better SITREPs anyone has posted. DreR, keep up this level of excellence and you will earn your scroll and tan beret. However it has been more than a month since your last SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
DreR
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by DreR »

Rangers,

I'm at the halfway point in training. I've overcome some humbling moments caused by the heat and am doing ok with the bruises, blisters and chafing of the day to day training.

Looking back, the pre-RASP period was tough, waiting around just for the opportunity to train and perform was difficult. I'm not one to sit around and have nothing to show for it at the end of the day.

The Columbus/Phenix city economy certainly benefits from the pre-RASP community. Popular past times from privates fresh out of basic are getting tattoos, buying cars, and enjoying the movies and shopping at exit 10 which is a nearly 50$ cab ride each way.

For the most part I would workout in the afternoons when we were released with a competitive group of friends. By the time we were working out the temperature was around 96-97 degrees with heat index around 104. We would do a release run to Doughboy stadium or a couple of laps around the gravel track, followed by some strength work at the gym or on the bleachers. For the run, each time I couldn't break 13:30 for two miles even at maximum effort. I was concerned about my drop in fitness. Saturday mornings in somewhat cooler temperatures I ran longer distances, I would complete 5 miles at around 38 minutes.

For the PT test prior to classing up in slightly cooler temperatures than what I was training in I completed the run in 12:16, 66 push ups, 81 sit ups, and 10 pull-ups.

The first week of training was rough for me. Finally given the opportunity to perform I totally blew it. I went out too strong and under hydrated in the oppressive Georgia heat. I quickly overcompensated by over hydrating and then, even faster, lost all my hydration in very dramatic fashion. The rest of the week was a complete wash. I couldn't overcome the nausea, stomach and muscle cramps to eat a full meal and get back to normal. Doubts as to if I could handle another 7 weeks entered my mind, as well as the frustration of being unable to perform up to my standard.

I recovered over the weekend and finally was able to put out on the ruck to Cole Range. I can't say much about my experience there, other than you have to be there yourself. The feeling of finding 5/5 Land Nav points during one of the iterations was a huge relief. If I took anything away, is to prepare for the amount of swelling that your feet will experience. Up until recently I was using the standard issue boot. I'm now using a much faster, lighter type with some extra room which is allowed in our field uniform. While laying in my bunk with my feet elevated the following weekend I started to try and add up how much sodium I took in over the course of my time at Cole Range to see if the swelling was caused by too much or maybe too little salt intake, but gave up when I realized that the specifics of meals was mostly a blur, and I had no way to quantify how much I was sweating (other than "a lot").

As my feet healed, my ruck times have improved even as the distances increase. On the last ruck over 10 miles I averaged 13:22 miles. I came out strong with my much lighter boots at around a 12:30 mile pace but couldn't maintain it past mile 4. That unfortunately familiar feeling of overheating settles in and I have to back off.

I passed the first RPFT, though my push-ups have fallen to just barely meet the 80% standard. For the 5 mile run I came in under 36 minutes, the heat had backed off a few degrees that morning but was replaced by humidity. If anything this is a lesson that coming into the program you need to be at or near a 300 on your PT test. I needed that extra fitness to absorb the cumulative wear and tear on my body to still make it past the 80% standard.

The weeks are going by quickly. Taking on each event at a time, before I know it it's the weekend and time to get back to 100% on laundry and repair/replace whatever broke that week to get ready for the next week of training.

I'm looking forward to the challenges to come.
68W OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20141027

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Great SitRep, continue to stay focused on your goal.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Al, glad to see you are adapting, following your initial setback. Look forward to your continued success. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Letters from School”