SITREP - Adam

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Adam

Post by Jim »

How are you doing Adam? How many students are currently in Pre-RASP? Have you any idea when your class begins? Please keep us updated on your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
salvador209
Embryo

Post by salvador209 »

Ranger Jim,

Too many people. Way too many. Enough for two classes that even the overflow barracks aren't enough.

We've our APFT and our final packing layout coming up next week. 10 more days to go...
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

salvador209 wrote:Ranger Jim,

Too many people. Way too many. Enough for two classes that even the overflow barracks aren't enough.

We've our APFT and our final packing layout coming up next week. 10 more days to go...
Getting closer. Please keep us up to date. Never, never quit!
salvador209
Embryo

Post by salvador209 »

Pre-RASP APFT Results:

Pushups: 58
Situps: 64
2 Mile Run: 15:02
Pullups: 6

Worst on situps I've ever done but regardless I passed. Next one is in 4 weeks so that's plenty of time to improve on the run and situps mainly, but I will be doing all I can.

Class up on Monday. Here it comes.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

salvador209 wrote: Class up on Monday. Here it comes.
How did week 1 go, Adam?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
salvador209
Embryo

Post by salvador209 »

For me, everything this week was a much needed gut check, but if you ask me, it's more important to finish what you start rather than give up and quit.

The Doughboy, 5 mile run, and 6 mile ruck were all wake up calls for me. I am not a strong runner, but I'm not the only one. My 5 mile time was 47:02. Running the mile or so to the airfield to then run the 5 mile, the day before a little over 5 miles to Doughboy and back, and then that 6 mile ruck, which my rucking is pretty bad. 8 weeks is a long time, I've been told my body will catch up.

At the same time, there were many people that just gave up, people quitting, walking on the 5 mile (and as bad as I was I still passed them up), and not to mention probably the record for heat casualties. So many heat cats. Hydrate and drink water and stretch.

Nevertheless, I did pass my swim test and both the history and standards tests. I'm learning that despite all the beat downs I get, I am pretty mentally tough to still stick this out. Cole Range next week. My goal is to actually pass that ruck.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

salvador209 wrote:For me, everything this week was a much needed gut check, but if you ask me, it's more important to finish what you start rather than give up and quit.

The Doughboy, 5 mile run, and 6 mile ruck were all wake up calls for me. I am not a strong runner, but I'm not the only one. My 5 mile time was 47:02. Running the mile or so to the airfield to then run the 5 mile, the day before a little over 5 miles to Doughboy and back, and then that 6 mile ruck, which my rucking is pretty bad. 8 weeks is a long time, I've been told my body will catch up.

At the same time, there were many people that just gave up, people quitting, walking on the 5 mile (and as bad as I was I still passed them up), and not to mention probably the record for heat casualties. So many heat cats. Hydrate and drink water and stretch.

Nevertheless, I did pass my swim test and both the history and standards tests. I'm learning that despite all the beat downs I get, I am pretty mentally tough to still stick this out. Cole Range next week. My goal is to actually pass that ruck.
How was Cole Range? Never. never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Jim wrote:
salvador209 wrote:For me, everything this week was a much needed gut check, but if you ask me, it's more important to finish what you start rather than give up and quit.

How was Cole Range? Never. never quit!
We are watching Adam.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

47 minute 5 mile? What?!
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

gRavepc wrote:47 minute 5 mile? What?!
That's what I thought as well. Fuck.

Our Section Sgt used to have our squad run the impact area (10miles) the morning of a PT test. He'd then give us 10mins to stretch, drink water and relax before taking the PT test and God help you if you slacked for even a moment from being tired.

Different times I guess, maybe he was just a freak and hated us. Scratch that, we know he hated us.

You better work on that run time young man. You may get the next antelope for a Sgt as well.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Adam, it has been over two weeks. You should be well into the RASP experience. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
salvador209
Embryo

Post by salvador209 »

Been a while. Not the best news.

I didn't make that ruck in time out to Cole Range. Off by about 15 minutes. And well shoot, not last but not good either way. Many people VW'd on the way, and despite pressure from the cadre, those of us that failed didn't quit.

Cole Range is basically as about every single person before me has described it. It sucks. Shoving MRE after MRE down your throat, and yes you have to eat everything, salt packet, sugar, creamer, gum and all. Sitting in the pit is monotonous, only then for the Cadre to come out to either smoke you or give you a class. You don't know which. Land navigation isn't hard. My first time working with the 1:50,000 grid scale. Still managed to find 3 out of 5 points at least once. It's easy to get lost once you end up in the brush and it's pitch black; some people will shoot a back azimuth, others will bring an extra pt belt to mark a tree and survey the area their point should be in. Our last iteration was cut short as a really bad storm came in that night, about flooded the course, students almost getting struck by lightning. Star clusters were shot up, recalling us. I was one of the first back, as my first points were relatively close--then the ground became mud and my boots had no traction... not fun. Even after the 4 hour mark in the storm, people were still coming back very late. Cole Range during the day wasn't bad, but when you came back from your night land nav iteration, that'd where the fun began with the woodline, mind games with patrol bases, sending us to sleep only to wake up minutes later among other things. Not to mention the grand smoking we got about the 2nd night in from one of their guests. Almost heat catted that night.

All in all we left for Cole Range with 129, ended with 96. And the majority of that was quitters. It's true. It does happen. People will quit. You have to stay strong and remember why you're there. It's best not to think when shit hits the fan. Just do.

Week 3 we started RFR (First Responder) training. You do learn a lot more in depth about first aid than you do in basic training. For medics, this is basically a refresher. It was going alright. Until the shitty part.

Went to the week 3 board, and long story short I'm dropped for not meeting physical standards. Peers was a part of it, a few people saying I have good leadership and motivation but physically I'm not there. But mainly it was my times for the run and that I never passed a physical event. I will be able to come back. I plan on it. Need to better prepare physically, because honestly I can say I believe I underestimated RASP. The Pre-RASP cadre will tell you it's physically easy. In theory, sure. The course is more designed to break you than to build you up. Then again, I did physically struggle coming into the Army, but that's no excuse.

I've since been in Worldwide and have come down on orders for Fort Bragg. This isn't the end of the world or anything, I see it as opportunity to prove my worth and get better. I'm taking with me this experience and standards, and I will use it to better myself and others. If I can try to be the best, then just who knows. It's not over yet. I will be back. I never did quit. And at least, unlike maybe 50 or so people before me who quit, I have the satisfaction of saying I never did. From here, my focus is being the best soldier that I can possibly be. More to follow. Goodnight.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

OK, you did not complete RASP. It is not the end of the world. There are lots of airborne signal slots at Fort Bragg. Fight to get one of them. Continue to soldier, stay in touich with us, and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

I 100% agree with enforcing the standards. If you were dropped, it was for a reason.

With that being said, don't lose focus on your goal. The Regiment always needs good Rangers. I need good Rangers. Remember what your goals really are, and always work towards them.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13

Return to “Letters from School”