SITREP: CHRIS

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Re: SITREP: CHRIS

Post by Grim666 »

Chris,
I am going to use you as a teaching point. First you can still keep your head up you did not quit like so many others. You failed at the 5 mile but you did not give up. There is a difference. You can work to gain a second chance at your new unit. Be the best you can, keep your head low and learn, and try to get Ranger School done.

Now for any and all reading this, if you are sick then you need to go to sick call period. This does not really apply if you came down with the sniffles that morning and don't feel like doing PT, this applies to those who have tried to suck it up and a week or so has gone by and you are no better or worse. If you are really sick or really hurt then you need to get yourself looked at and fixed up. End of discussion. Failing due to an illness is not an excuse when there is sick call virtually every morning. You cannot take care of your Ranger buddy if you can't take care of yourself.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Grim666 wrote:Chris,
I am going to use you as a teaching point. First you can still keep your head up you did not quit like so many others. You failed at the 5 mile but you did not give up. There is a difference. You can work to gain a second chance at your new unit. Be the best you can, keep your head low and learn, and try to get Ranger School done.

Now for any and all reading this, if you are sick then you need to go to sick call period. This does not really apply if you came down with the sniffles that morning and don't feel like doing PT, this applies to those who have tried to suck it up and a week or so has gone by and you are no better or worse. If you are really sick or really hurt then you need to get yourself looked at and fixed up. End of discussion. Failing due to an illness is not an excuse when there is sick call virtually every morning. You cannot take care of your Ranger buddy if you can't take care of yourself.

Had this dilemma last August when I was in RAP week before the 12 mile. I had bad cellulitis on my right calf due to a bad rope burn from the CWSA, to the point where I could barely walk without terrible pain. I went through land nav and the Darby Mile+Malvesti, hobbling around thinking I was tough. As I was packing for the ruck, I realized if I failed the ruck because of my leg, the first question they'd ask back at batt was "Why the hell didn't you go to sick call?". Your packet isn't going to say "Failed the event due to illness", it's going to say "Failed the event". So I reluctantly went to sick call, they cleaned it, gave me some antibiotics, and I completed the 12 mile 10 hours later with no more pain. Go to sick call when you need to.
DCGreen22
Embryo

Post by DCGreen22 »

Sorry it's been a while since my last post Rangers but I'd like to give you all an update on my progress. I spent 3 weeks at World-Wide (Transition Platoon) which at no surprise was filled with highly unmotivated soldiers who for whatever reason had decided to voluntarily withdraw from RASP. My experience there gave me a glimpse into what kind of soldier I do not want to be. While I was there I still wasn't feeling a 100% so I decided to go to the hospital during the 4th of July weekend to seek medical attention. While I was there I recieve da chest X-ray and found out that I actually had pneumonia and not just a cold as I was previously told by the medics at STB sick call the week before I left RASP. I spent 2 days at the hospital and was prescribed a Z-pack. Mucinex, and Abuteoral. Currently I am at my unit Aco, 1-325 AIR, 2d BCT, 82d Airborne Division. I haven't met a lot of people in my unit since almost the entire batallion is gone on a training rotation at NTC. The soldiers and NCOs I have met here are a majority of former 18x and option 40 guys. For the most part they are all highly motivated and willing to share advice and knowledge with myself and the 7 other guys from RASP I came here with. I'm going to try and make the best of my time here and learn as much as possible. EIB testing is coming up in October so I'll be preparing for that since the whole battalion is supposed to be taking part in it. I'm also going to try and go to Ranger School hopefully some time in the Spring of this upcoming year. I feel like this unit will be a great learning experience for me since I've heard they have pretty rigorous training cycle. In the meantime I'm continuing to improve my overall PT. I'm still a little sick but definitely better than I was a month ago. I have to wait until the battalion PA gets back to schedule another X-ray to see if my pneumonia is 100% gone. I'll make sure to keep you all updated on any major outcomes in the following months.
"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands." -GEN John A. Wickham, Jr
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Chris, you are now an All American. I want to see you demonstrate your success. The EIB is a good opportunity for you to achieve success. Never, never quit1
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

As others have said, you didn't quit, no reason to feel any shame or guilt from your end. Keep fighting forward and try it again when you get the chance.

As the old saying goes, it's not about how many times you get knocked down, it's about how many times you stand back up and keep fighting. I've followed your progress here and I'm confident that one day soon you'll be graduating from RASP and joining the Regiment.

Stay focused, stay strong and stay positive.

Please feel free to continue posting as things progress.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Letters from School”