Sitrep - Peterk

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
peterk
US Army

Sitrep - Peterk

Post by peterk »

I have been asked by Ranger Jim to post a sitrep so here it goes. Made it through PSOCM and now into my first week of SOCM. It's definitely a different atmosphere here at Bragg. There are def some good and some bad but more positives than negatives. Better living situations and a more relaxed atmosphere but the work load is greater. Things move fast here and for good reason, there's too much to learn and too short a time. I'm looking forward to the challenge but I can see how people get burnt out here.

On a side note, for all the future medics looking to make it through SOCM, just make sure to be squared away. During inprocessing my Ranger buddies and I were collectively ate up so we ended up with the "Ranger Log of Woe" and it definitely help to correct us. Going on two weeks with our new Ranger buddy and it's made us stronger. Remember if you get tabbed checked, elevate those feet gentlemen because as I've been told, "I haven't made it through the mountains yet."

I'll update once again after the EMT block.

RLTW
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sitrep - Peterk

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, please give us more details as you progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Quick sitrep: finished with the second block and moving on into Clin Meds. A&P was not that difficult but it can easily get the better of you if not prepared. I hear the same goes for this upcoming block but am confident that it will be done with in the next 6 weeks and hopefully get to move into trauma 1. Although my mind should be into studying, I'm feeling a little burnt out at the moment and this July 4th weekend couldn't have come at a better time. Until next time, RLTW.
"I submit to you that if a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live." Martin Luther King Jr.

RSTB
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent SITREP! The 4 July break goes by quickly. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Quick sitrep: Successfully completed Clin Med and now 3 weeks into Trauma 1. It's a great and very appreciated change of pace considering the amount of studying done so far and I can't complain about all the hands on time we get. Time flies in Trauma 1 and things get moving quickly. We just got our PEPP certification today and our ACLS certification last week. Looking forward to starting and practicing TPA till I'm dreaming of TPA everyday. The amount of practice they expect from you is outrageous but it's necessary to make it through. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's so close I can taste it. Staying focused. Will update after successfully completing Trauma 1.

RLTW

RSTB
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

It's been awhile and a lot has happened but here is a quick sitrep because I felt I owed it to the Rangers on this board and those who can learn in the future. I completed the trauma block but was dropped along with 20 other students because of an "ACLS scandal" at the school house. Students were found to have possession of the ACLS Exam which led to boards which led to students throwing each other under the bus and so on. Some on this board may have already heard of this and there are obviously multiple stories circulating still. If any Ranger would like the story from me feel free to PM me but that's not what this post is about.

I spent one year, if I can say that, in Regiment and I learned more than I thought I ever could. I wish I could have made it the whole nine yards to a line company to put to practice what I've wanted for so long but life happens. I have made great friends and Ranger brothers who I wish the very best and continued success in Regiment. At the time of the incident I believe I wasn't doing anything wrong and when it all went down, there was some anger but life goes on and it's not about being angry but knowing the decisions you make whether right or wrong come with consequences of which you need to accept. Since I've been a Ranger I have made the right decisions and been punished, I have made the wrong decisions and been punished, and vice versa. To future Rangers, what you choose to do daily will have a consequence, whether you find it favorable or not. Learn to take the hit and move on but never will I forget this past year.

Currently put up at Walter Reed because I broke my back snowboarding when I was home for leave back in Jan. Always work hard 100% and then some, and move forward.

RSTB
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

peterk wrote:Currently put up at Walter Reed because I broke my back snowboarding when I was home for leave back in Jan. Always work hard 100% and then some, and move forward.
Sorry to hear about your injury, especially one to the back.

Do you have plans once you're discharged from WRMC?
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
peterk
US Army

Post by peterk »

Ranger Centermass, I currently do not have any plans. Well I have some thoughts to what I may want to do. As of right now, its to fully recover and get back to physical health I was at prior to the injury.

I have been giving a lot of thought to what I would like after the army which is coming up fast. I was considering some sort of medical field, maybe go back to school, travel, become a teacher, obtain another degree. Not too sure yet. I learned that I have the aptitude to be good in medicine but as of right now its been some what tainted by my experience in the army but thats always an option and as of right now a leading option along with going back to school to be a teacher, maybe history or physical education.

RSTB
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Is there an update?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70