Shipping Out 20140610

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Smokey Bear
Paratrooper

Re: Shipping Out 20140610

Post by Smokey Bear »

Ranger Slowpoke, when I posted that I hadn't yet gotten to the unit and hadn't had the time to do any research on it and was not aware that it is a brigade not a division. Ranger Jim, nothing much else really. Bad news about Ranger School. It seems my drive and pursuance to go to it isn't going to be enough. We just had an NCO go and fail. The squardron commander is still ok with sending E-4 and below soldiers but the brigade commander doesn't want anything to do with it. I'm still going to keep trying though. I start the FAST class Wednesday so that is my main focus right now. After that I will continue working on PT and I will also try and begin phase two of the physical. ACRF has just started which means I'll be out of the driver's seat for a little bit while we go out and train but that will yet again be another good chance to prove myself to my leadership. After I get off of ACRF I plan on trying for Ranger School a little while longer and if I can't get it I'm gonna drop my packet for RASP. I know all of the upcoming class dates and I've been looking at a couple for this summer. In the end I'll take whatever I can get but the sooner the better. Air assault finally came around but the leadership picked random people instead of letting everybody try out and then pick from there. Unfortunately, I didn't get picked. The leadership is good here but sometimes they make bad decisions which is understandable. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and drive on for this one. For now, like I said, I'm going to be focusing on this upcoming FAST class and as far as I'm concerned bulking season is still at its prime so I'm still going to be hitting the gym relentlessly. I'll post my next SITREP after the FAST class. Respectfully,

Austin
The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

John F. Kennedy
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

There is nothing random about class slots. Ever.

E-4 and below is all that goes to Ranger school from Regiment. That being said, slots are given much differently in other units. Don't discount yourself because of your rank. Your brigade commander is a former commander in the 75th (My former BN Commander). Don't listen to what others have to say. He will send anyone who deserves it. You need to get your chain of command to believe in you first. Always announce your interest during counseling. If you are not being counseled monthly, ask to be. Always ask to go to Ranger School to better your career. Be sure to highlight your career ambitions. You always plan to be here for 20+ years until you get out. Always stay motivated.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Smokey Bear
Paratrooper

Post by Smokey Bear »

Roger that Ranger Disinfertention. Both my squad leader and platoon sergeant are aware that I want to go to Ranger School. The First Sergeant is aware but I don't think I've quite proven that I want to go to him yet. It's hard to do because I hardly ever see him but I've been working on it. Even the little things I've been doing. I've figured out when the CO goes to the gym and I always try to make it to the gym around that time. Whenever I see the First Sergeant I always try and ask him about Ranger Battalion and Ranger School but I never really see him enough. I'll take your advice and definitely make sure I'm getting counseled monthly. The two times I was counseled though I made sure to mention Ranger School and the FAST class (which I'm in now). All of the higher ups are from Ranger Battalion including my First Sergeant. So you're right, I have no excuse. I'll make sure it happens. Thanks again for the advice.

I might as well go ahead and post my next SITREP. I was wrong about air assault. I called my squad leader Monday and told him that I would like to tryout for air assault and he said that I couldn't. But I showed up to PT Tuesday morning and my squad leader said that I was able to try out for the school and told me to run down to the gym and try and get in to the PT test. I did the PT test and scored exceptionally well considering I stayed up till four that morning, couldn't sleep and hadn't had a nip of water in a few days just junk food from the weekend. There were about 30 of us and today there were about 25 when we did the five mile run in ACU's and rope climbs. The people that dropped out were only self inflicted they didn't get dropped from the cadre. The cadre isn't going to tell us if we made it until next week most likely. Judging from the minimum of 40 minutes for the five mile in Ranger standards a lot of people failed. We weren't told what the minimum was though. We have a 12 mile ruck tomorrow which I'm gonna kill. A lot of the people trying out aren't in combat arms and don't ever ruck. That's the last evolution for the tryouts so we shall see if I made it next week. I'm not getting cocky but judging by other people's scores I think I've made it. Either way, I'm definitely gonna make sure I'm at the tip of the spear during that ruck tomorrow. I will post my next SITREP when I find out if I made it in or not. Thank you again Ranger Disinfertention for the advice. Moving forward as always,

Austin
The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

John F. Kennedy
Smokey Bear
Paratrooper

Post by Smokey Bear »

Good evening Rangers. This morning we had the twelve mile ruck for air assault tryouts and I came in at 2 1/2 hours which was the top seven I believe. After returning from the FAST class and heading back to troop my squad leader told me that he had read the list and my name was on it. I made it! It feels good to have worked for something and achieved it. It started in basic when I had to work for airborne school and happened again this week for air assault. I'm excited to be doing this school. It starts in May. Now that the tryouts are over its back to the grind at the gym! Definitely going to have to postpone the leg portion of my workout until tomorrow though. I will keep you posted on the FAST class and how it's going. After that I have to get my wisdom teeth out so I'll be out for a couple of days but then I'll be doing MOUT training after. It's looking to be a good month. The weather is starting to clear up so we have been able to do a lot more jumps. We had a chinook jump today but I missed it because of the FAST class. There will be plenty more though. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again for the advice and support Rangers. Respectfully,

Austin

John F. Kennedy
Smokey Bear
Paratrooper

Post by Smokey Bear »

Rangers just a quick SITREP. I took the AFCT today and scored a 112 for my GT score. The class paid off and now I'm well on my way to throw down my packet for RASP. Ranger school is still up in the air. I will most likely throw down my packet for Ranger School soon after I finish all my physicals and air assault school. Hopefully I will get in a class this summer, get back and then throw down my packet for RASP. That's all that is going on right now except MOUT training which is going good. Thanks again!

Respectfully, Austin

John F. Kennedy
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

Smokey Bear wrote:Rangers just a quick SITREP. I took the AFCT today and scored a 112 for my GT score. The class paid off and now I'm well on my way to throw down my packet for RASP. Ranger school is still up in the air. I will most likely throw down my packet for Ranger School soon after I finish all my physicals and air assault school. Hopefully I will get in a class this summer, get back and then throw down my packet for RASP. That's all that is going on right now except MOUT training which is going good. Thanks again!

Respectfully, Austin
Goddamn troop, just keep the packets in your hand!
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Smokey Bear
Paratrooper

Post by Smokey Bear »

Ranger gRavepc, I'm sorry but I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean by that? My apologies.

John F. Kennedy
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

It was a joke about you using the phrase "throwing down a packet" about 4 times in 4 sentences on your last post.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Smokey Bear
Paratrooper

Post by Smokey Bear »

Oh my apologies Ranger gRavepc. I'm just excited. I emailed a Ranger recruiter today and sent him a copy of my ERB and he should be sending me an application packet in his next message. Very excited to get the wheels rolling on this one! I also am almost done with my Ranger School physical. I believe all I have to do is return this take home test, update my letter of intent and reorganize my paperwork. I will keep all of you informed when I know more.

John F. Kennedy

Return to “Letters from School”