Updated RASP Packing List

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
J031
Ranger

Updated RASP Packing List

Post by J031 »

Rangers,

I'm making this post mostly for the guys in the pipeline about to head to Pre-RASP, but thought y'all might find it interesting. If this is in the wrong spot please correct me. With that being said...

DEPs and other soldiers in the pipeline,

Thought I'd post a packing list for y'all so you don't come here looking like a bag of ass without items you'll need...or appreciate having. I know there is an official packing list you can pick up at Ranger Joes (if you've talked to a Regimental Recruiter they probably gave you this same Packing List); that is what I'm piggy backing off of to give you an "updated" version.

RASP 1 Packing List:
1. Current Physical

If you're coming straight from OSUT or AIT to airborne you will have this because at some point in your training you would've gone to get an airborne physical which will count. If you're going to RASP from a unit in the big army you might need to get an updated physical. The physical cannot expire within four months of signing into RASP 1.

2. Original Jump Log if Qualified

If you're coming to RASP straight from airborne school this will be in the packet they send you to RASP with. If you're going to airborne after RASP because you're coming from the big army obviously you won't need this because you're not jump qualified.

3. 3x RASP 1 Orders

Airbone is only going to send you with one copy in your packet, but the weekend after airborne graduation before you head over to RASP you can run and get copies made at the UPS on post. I say bring 3 copies because sometimes the cadre in pre RASP lose shit and it's easier to run to your locker and grab another copy than get another copy of your orders made.

4. 3x ERB

If you're going to be in RASP anywhere near HBL bring 3 copies of your ERB. All of you 11Bs shipping in June-July this is you. You need an ERB to get orders for leave. Same logic as bringing 3x RASP Orders here.

5. CAC
6. 10-15x Green Boot Socks

The packing list at Ranger Joes says 7 pairs of socks, but you're going to want as many pairs of socks as you can bring. I changed socks whenever I could at Cole Range, probably 3 times a day. I'm not going to recommend going and buying stupid expensive socks like darn toughs or fox rivers because I haven't ever used them...and I think it's dumb to spend $20 on socks, but I know plenty of guys who swear by them. I've been fine rocking the standard issue socks all the way through OSUT, Airborne, and RASP.

7. 1x Cold Weather Boots

I haven't once worn the winter boots my whole time in the army, but the packing list says bring them so you should bring a pair. Not having the whole packing list would be a pretty shitty reason for getting dropped. I haven't seen anyone get dropped for not having them, but the cadre could drop you for not having them if they felt like it.

8. 2x Summer Boots

Go buy at least one pair of good boots that fit right. I got a pair of 8.5 standard issue boots at 30th AG (I wear 11 wides)...they fucked my feet through OSUT. I stopped by Big Dog running in downtown Columbus in airborne and they checked out my feet, and told me the right kind of shoes I needed to buy. They have a machine that measures the exact dimensions of your foot; size, width, arch height, heel width. I wore the Rocky RLWs because they were the only boots I could find in wide. Some people hate these boots, but I think they're comfy as hell. Find what works for you.

9. 5x OCPs

Packing list says 4 pairs. Go and buy a brand new set of OCPs or set aside a relatively new pair of OCPs before RASP that you can get all your patches sewn onto to wear at graduation.

10. Rigger Belt

80% of the guys in my class didn't get the rigger belt like the packing list said and none of the cadre ever said anything about it. If you don't get the rigger belt when you go do marksmanship in phase 2 and have mag pouches and a holster on your belt you'll have to keep constantly tightening your belt.

11. 10x Green T-Shirts

Packing list says bring 7. Bring more because you'll run through shirts faster than you'll be able to clean them.

12. 2x Ranger ID Tags

Go to Things Remebered in the main post PX and tell them you need Ranger ID tags. They'll know what your talking about. You also need to silence your tags with 100mph tape and I'll post a write up with pics on how to do that.

13. 2x Sew-on Name Tapes

This is another one of those items I never saw people get in trouble for not having, but you'll get issued a camel back at CIF in pre-RASP and you can mark it with the sew on tapes. It looks a lot more professional than writing your name on it with your shitty ass hand writing.

14. 3-4x White PT Socks

In pre-RASP you can wear either white or black PT socks, but your class leader might make it a rule to wear only white for uniformity purposes and if you don't have them you're going to get your class smoked. You don't want to be that guy.

15. 7-10x Black PT Socks

In RASP you wear black PT socks. No questions asked. Don't wear white PT socks in RASP.

16. 2x PT Belt

Don't get the PT belt with Velcro. Yellow PT belt with plastic buckles. Bring two so you can throw one on your ruck and never touch it. Wear the other one. Also, take both out to Cole Range so you don't have to take the one off your ruck to do land nav iterations. Trust me, at 3 am, sleep deprived as fuck, little things like this make your life easier.

17. Running Shoes

Go invest in a good pair of running shoes that fit. You don't have to get super padded shoes or trail running shoes, but get something with a bit of cushion. Your feet will thank you on longer runs. Companies to look at are brooks, saucony, asics, and altra. Any running store will carry quality shoes, and they'll be able to help you find something that works for you.

18. 2x Watch Cap

Bring a black watch cap for winter PTs and a coyote watch cap for when you're in OCPs.

19. 1 set Civilian Clothes

Pre RASP wears "roughs"; button down shirt (Hawaiian shirts don't count), khakis, hiking boots.

RASP wears "smooths"; button down shirt, smooth khaki pants (no cargo pockets), smooth leather dress shoes.

20. 2 sets of D-celll batteries

For your L-shape. You don't want to be out on a night land nav iteration and not be able to read your map because your L-shape died.

21. Earplugs

You'll get issued peltors for marksmanship in phase two, but the bay gets loud as fuck and if you're trying to sleep while everyone else is making noise earplugs will help you out. Plus it's on the packing list so bring it.

22. Eyeglasses w/ cablz retaining band

Don't get the little elastic retaining bands from the PX. They stretch out and it looks shitty.

23. L-Shape w/ Red Lens
24. 2x Protractor

Get the Ranger Joes protractor. Don't get the one with red numbers going around the outside edge of it because you might get your grid azimuth in mils and end up lost as fuck. Also put a piece of parachute chord guts in the middle to make finding grid azimuths easier. Take a sewing needle, heat it up, and very carefully put it through the middle of the protractor to make the hole.

25. Wristwatch

Timex will do. If it's got a GPS or compass in it the cadre will confiscate it when they collect other electronics at the beginning of phase one.

26. Weapons Clenaing Kit

Invest in a good one. Buy a bore snake and a dental pic to add to whatever kit you get.

27. Laundry Detergent

Official packing list says don't bring powder because liquid can spill in your bags, but I've seen a lot more people end up with powder all over their gear from bringing the powder.

28. Razor w/ at least 3 extra blades

You need a razor and 3 extra sets of blades (if you've got the razor that can change blades) or 4 disposable razors for Cole Range.

29. Airborne Ranger in the Sky

Google "Airborne Ranger in the Sky", click on one of the websites with bios, pick one that you connect with, transfer the bio to Microsoft word, print and get laminated. You don't go anywhere in RASP without your ARITS, and if it gets fucked up (because you didn't water proof it) you get fucked up.

30. Lighter

Part of your inspectable items.

Optional Items:

1. Multi-tool/Knife

Makes life easier in many aspects. Knives can't be longer than 3 inches.

2. Reading Material

Phase one gets locked down to the barracks over the weekend. It gets boring.

3. Tailgate Chair

This was something I brought just for personal comfort. There aren't any chairs in the bays.

4. Foam Roller

Phase one is very physically demanding. You will hurt. Foam rollers help mitigate that pain somewhat.

5. Ranger History Study Guide

You can pick up one of these at the UPS inside the little PX near airborne. Helps pass the time in pre RASP when you're standing on rocks. Plus the history "class" you get in pre RASP is very fast paced and doesn't go greatly into detail. You'll get a history test in phase one, if you fail you'll get a counseling, get too many of those and you'll get recycled or dropped. Buy a copy and study it.

6. Blue Book

Same deal as the history study guide. You'll get a standards test in phase one. You'll also find these at the UPS in the PX by airborne.

This isn't the whole packing list, but these are the only items I could think of that were definite necessities. I'll post pictures of the official packing list and Cole Range packing list later, but I'm on my phone right now and I'm technologically retarded so that will have to wait until I get access to a computer. If I think of anything else I'll add it. Rangers, if you see there is anything I missed please add to this list.

Joel
11X Option 40
Ship date: 20170718

"Five Mentee Report Here" Thread member
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Updated RASP Packing List

Post by Disinfertention »

Outstanding Joel. Thanks for contributing to bettering the site.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
J031
Ranger

Re: Updated RASP Packing List

Post by J031 »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention.
11X Option 40