7 Easy Steps to Pass Any SOF Selection

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
rangerjd
Ranger

7 Easy Steps to Pass Any SOF Selection

Post by rangerjd »

Admin Edit
http://havokjournal.com/fitness/7-easy- ... selection/

7-easy-steps-that-guarantee-you-to-pass-any-sof-selection/
This should be read by all DEPs and/or wannabes. Another great read from the Havok Journal.

So you've seen some cool videos on YouTube and have decided to sign a multi-year contract committing you to a lifestyle of cool-guy-dom. What could go wrong? After all, you played sports in high school and your coach thought you were cool so you shouldn't have any problems passing BUD/S, RASP or SFAS. You have washboard abs and a hot girlfriend. I'm going to help you out here a little.

Step 1 - Know what you are getting yourself into.

For starters, understand that the movies you grew up in awe of completely lied to you. Being in a special operations unit is, in no way, a series of cool explosions, gun fights and airborne operations. It is one of the most demanding (emotionally, mentally and physically) careers on earth. If your thoughts are on the day that you get to pin on that shiny Trident or don that special beret, you absolutely don't belong. Being a part of any of these organizations is about more than the color of your hat or the pretty decorations on your jacket. Those concerned with the glitter and gold seldom make the cut and when they do, slip through and don't last long.
Life here is tremendously difficult. The pain doesn't end at graduation. I can say with 100% honesty that it is harder to stay in Ranger Battalion than it is to get there. I can't speak for every unit in SOF but an 80 hour work week was not uncommon for the men of the 75th Ranger Regiment. I can't emphasize this enough: That is NOT 80 hours a week of glamourous activities.

Step 2 - Do your homework

I've been asked countless times by young men what they should do to prepare for these various selections. The general expectation is that I would mention a training program. Most are a little perplexed when I begin asking various history questions. "You want to be a PJ? Who is Jason Cunningham? Who is Rob Disney?" "No? You don't know? You should!" You are gung-ho about being a Ranger? What is the first stanza of the Creed? I honestly don't give a shit if you can do fifty pull ups and run a five minute mile, if you don't care enough about the lineage of the unit that you are aspiring to join you are missing the point. If you wanted to join a fraternity your freshman year of college, you would have to know everything about the history of the organization. Study the men and the missions that came before your time. Know why the unit exists and those who have made the legacy that you want to be a part of. On top of that, put in the effort to find out what the bare minimum requirements are for the selection course you will be attending. There is not a single entry-level SOF course that doesn't have their standards widely published. If you don't know what the standard is, how do you expect to exceed it?

Step 3 - Dominate humbly

Like I said before, the movies lied to you. You are not trying out to be a one man wrecking crew. You are applying to be a part of a team. The cadre that will be punishing you day and night for weeks or months on end are doing so because, if you pass, you will be their best friend's problem. You will be sent to be the subordinate of the brother that your current instructor left the line to come and teach. There is no place for your arrogance. So you got the fastest time on the O-course today, so what. Nothing that you do is going to impress that instructor more than your humility.

Step 4 - Be the grey man

I understand this may seem like a little bit of a contradiction from step three but it actually goes with it. You don't have to be the best at anything, just don't be the worst. In fact, don't ever be in the bottom 50%. Don't ever hold anything back (If you are giving anything less than your personal 100%, then you are wrong!) but don't ever broadcast your accomplishments. If you make it to graduation and the cadre don't know your name, then you are doing a few things correctly.

Step 5 - Ask questions, show respect

From now until the time your selection starts you have an opportunity to seek out guys who have been there and benefit from their knowledge and experience. Don't be an idiot and ask them what it's like to kill someone. When you are exposed to a former member of SOF, in person or online, be respectful and understand that it is a very small community. Your reputation starts the day you start popping off at the mouth about how you are going to be a SEAL, Ranger, PJ, MARSOC Ninja, etc. The community is not only tiny, the alumni are very well connected with each other.

Step 6 - Be prepared to fail

It doesn't matter how amazing you think you are, you will fail at some point. That is the point. If the cadre notices that you are really good at push up you will do them until you can't do them anymore, regardless if you can do 40 or 100. Their job is to make you fail. The point is to see how you handle that failure. How you respond to that adversity is really what they are looking for. Can you get up and lead men when you have been knocked down countless times? Can you brush off those failures and continue to lead the way? That is what is important, not your six pack.

Step 7 - Never, ever ever ever EVER give up

Seriously. Don't. The guy next to you is hurting just as bad. His life sucks right now but he isn't giving up and if he does, guess what? You should be elevated by your strength, not discouraged by his weakness. People laugh when they ask about how to pass and I say, "Don't quit." A lot of it comes down to that. You are going to get kicked, you are going to be tired, cold, and hungry. You are going to feel alone and exhausted. You will be humiliated and broken. Don't quit. Your body will follow your mind. Set the intention before you start that you would rather die than quit. That is the only type of person that belongs in the special operations community.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: 7 Easy Steps to Pass Any SOF Selection

Post by Slowpoke »

rangerjd wrote:http://icedsites.appspot.com/www.havokj ... selection/
This should be read by all DEPs and/or wannabes. Another great read from the Havok Journal.
DEPs.....DEPS.....if you don't read this you're an idiot! This is true shit right from the horses mouth and will help you more than you can believe!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

All right Mentees, post on here so I know you have read this.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Patriot
Inprocessing

Post by Patriot »

Roger Ranger rangerjd, Ranger Slowpoke, and Ranger Jim, I have read this and understand what I have to do.
1/75
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Great read. Well done Marty.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Trey
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Trey »

Roger Ranger rangerjd, Ranger Slowpoke, Ranger Jim
Last edited by Trey on May 9th, 2015, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20150727

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Trey wrote:Roger Ranger rangerjd, Ranger Slowpoke, Ranger Jim, and Ranger cams.
All you drones don't need to keep adding in every mothers name that's read this or commented.

Give your "Roger I have read and understand this" to Ranger RangerJD, Ranger Slowpoke and Ranger Jim for getting you squared away and then move out smartly to your next assignment.

Don't answer me. Just do it.

DEP's just knock out 50 elevated P/U for being a bunch of boot lickers too while you're at it.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Disciple
Embryo

Post by Disciple »

Roger Ranger Jim
25B Option 40
Earned Not Given
naweir
Future Soldier

Post by naweir »

Roger Ranger rangerjd
12B

CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by CCJ »

Roger, Ranger rangerjd, Ranger Slowpoke, and Ranger Jim. It seems as if this article is no longer existing, I tried as I hard as I could to find it on that website but I had no luck. I found another article titled, '7 Easy Steps That Guarantee You To Pass Any SOF Selection' but I'm assuming it's not the same one because it's located on a different website. I'll still read it just in case it is what I'm looking for but I just wanted to let you guys know that this article seems to be gone now.
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160112

centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

CCJ wrote:Roger, Ranger rangerjd, Ranger Slowpoke, and Ranger Jim. It seems as if this article is no longer existing, I tried as I hard as I could to find it on that website but I had no luck. I found another article titled, '7 Easy Steps That Guarantee You To Pass Any SOF Selection' but I'm assuming it's not the same one because it's located on a different website. I'll still read it just in case it is what I'm looking for but I just wanted to let you guys know that this article seems to be gone now.
Go back to the very 1st post. It's now there in its entirety.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

And once you're done digesting it, acknowledge by posting the same as the rest.

By the way, we are not "YOU GUYS"
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
CCJ
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by CCJ »

Roger, Ranger rangerjd, Ranger Slowpoke, and Ranger Jim. I have read and understand the 7 steps to pass any SOF selection.
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160112

Return to “About RASP”