Rasp vs ranger leadership course

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
johnwayne24
Embryo

Rasp vs ranger leadership course

Post by johnwayne24 »

So I have an 11x opt 40 contract. Leaving soon. But lately I have been rather confused. Before I got the contract I did research for obvious reason. I figured out thAt the option 40 means you are an airborne ranger, thus you are going to airborne school and then raps and then into a ranger battalion and then to ranger school. We'll after a friendly talk with my recruiter he has never heard of raps and he cannot give me any information on raps or the process it takes to becomoing a special operations ranger. Now I'm worried, am I going to just be attending for the ranger leadership course or am I going to go through rasp and ranger school to become special operations ?
johnwayne24
Embryo

Re: Rasp vs ranger leadership course

Post by johnwayne24 »

RASP. My phone is deciding to change rasp to raps. My apologies
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

mstenz23 wrote:So I have an 11x opt 40 contract. Leaving soon. But lately I have been rather confused. Before I got the contract I did research for obvious reason. I figured out thAt the option 40 means you are an airborne ranger, thus you are going to airborne school and then raps and then into a ranger battalion and then to ranger school. We'll after a friendly talk with my recruiter he has never heard of raps and he cannot give me any information on raps or the process it takes to becomoing a special operations ranger. Now I'm worried, am I going to just be attending for the ranger leadership course or am I going to go through rasp and ranger school to become special operations ?
Ok.

First off, it's Ranger, with a capital "R"

Next, it's "RASP" not RAPS.

If you have the "Option 40" in writing, on your contract, you have the "Ranger Option" meaning you will first do OSUT. And both RASP 1 and 2 along with the BAC. Look up the definition of the word "RASP." If you don't know that by now, you're already behind the power curve.

If and when you complete all of the above, you will then be assigned according to the needs of the Regiment, whether it be 1st BN, 2BN, 3rd BN, RSTB or Regimental HQs.

Although it has been known that some Rangers are selected to attend the Ranger Course upon completion of RASP, for the majority, you will spend your time, earning your place, paying your dues and learning all the basics first. Your Chain of Command, from your Team leader on up, will make the decision, based on your performance, when you will attend the Ranger Course. For most, that comes later, not right off the bat.

Lastly, you will not be a "Special Operations Ranger" you will be an Army Ranger, assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment, which is part of the Special Operations Command.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
johnwayne24
Embryo

Post by johnwayne24 »

centermass wrote:
mstenz23 wrote:So I have an 11x opt 40 contract. Leaving soon. But lately I have been rather confused. Before I got the contract I did research for obvious reason. I figured out thAt the option 40 means you are an airborne ranger, thus you are going to airborne school and then raps and then into a ranger battalion and then to ranger school. We'll after a friendly talk with my recruiter he has never heard of raps and he cannot give me any information on raps or the process it takes to becomoing a special operations ranger. Now I'm worried, am I going to just be attending for the ranger leadership course or am I going to go through rasp and ranger school to become special operations ?
Ok.

First off, it's Ranger, with a capital "R"

Next, it's "RASP" not RAPS.

If you have the "Option 40" in writing, on your contract, you have the "Ranger Option" meaning you will first do OSUT. And both RASP 1 and 2 along with the BAC. Look up the definition of the word "RASP." If you don't know that by now, you're already behind the power curve.

If and when you complete all of the above, you will then be assigned according to the needs of the Regiment, whether it be 1st BN, 2BN, 3rd BN, RSTB or Regimental HQs.

Although it has been known that some Rangers are selected to attend the Ranger Course upon completion of RASP, for the majority, you will spend your time, earning your place, paying your dues and learning all the basics first. Your Chain of Command, from your Team leader on up, will make the decision, based on your performance, when you will attend the Ranger Course. For most, that comes later, not right off the bat.

Lastly, you will not be a "Special Operations Ranger" you will be an Army Ranger, assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment, which is part of the Special Operations Command.
Ranger Centermass, I'm on my phone and it changed RASP to raps my apologies i corrected myself in my second post but I do apologize I did not proof read. I do know all about the Ranger assessment and selection program. I also am aware that I will go through my OSUT. And my contract does have jump school in it after OSUT which will consist of infantry training. Thank you for the clarification though. My concern was that my recruiter did not know about RASP. Also, next question I was looking at a youtube video that was on the discovery channel titled RASP training something or other and they referred to the men in RASP as qualifying to become special operations soldiers. You cleared that up as well. I thank you. I will hopefully be reporting to all on this site as I can through my journey in the near future. Again I thank you. I was pretty much aware of the process I was just double checking because my recruiter did not know as much as I thought he would of which was having me worried. Why is RASP not in an option 40 contract if that is the process involving a 40 option contract?
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Because RASP, like RIP (Before RASP) is part of the Option 40. It isn't specified in your contract because it's all inclusive of one another. Once you are at RASP, you are no longer under the umbrella of a Training Unit, such as the United States Army Infantry School, IET/BCT/OSUT which falls under TRADOC (Training and Doctrine Command)

You are now assigned to a SOCOM Unit, which is the 75th Ranger Regiment RSTB, where RASP is headquartered.

You are assigned there until your completion. Then, you will be assigned to a unit in the Regiment.

Or...if you fail, well, you know the rest.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “About RASP”