Questions on RASP 2

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
logan1995
Embryo

Questions on RASP 2

Post by logan1995 »

Rangers,
I have a few questions about the RASP 2 process. I have used the search option and have read the stickies relating to this, but I just cannot find a straight answer. Upon graduation of RASP 2, would I get sent straight into the Regiment or would I have to wait to get my Ranger tab before I could work with the Rangers? I'm planning to enlist in 25B (Signal) and I was wondering if that would change anything about getting into Regiment before some of the 11B's in RASP 2
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Questions on RASP 2

Post by Jim »

Logan, you are not prior servece. RASP2 does not apply.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
logan1995
Embryo

Post by logan1995 »

Ranger Jim,
I plan to go to college before enlisting into the Army, so I could come in as a 2nd leautenant, and I would be forced to go to RASP 2
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Logan, if you attend ROTC while in college or go through OCS, your chances of going through RASP2 and being assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment become very slim. It is very rare for a 2nd Lieutenant to become a candidate for RASP2. Usually, candidates are chosen from the cream of the crop of 1st Lieutenants who've proved themselves in other leadership roles. Many, if not most, Ranger NCOs have Bachelor Degrees. If you truly want to be a Ranger, the most promising path would be to enlist with an Option 40 when you've completed college. Then you would go in as an E-4 with a fast track to becoming an NCO. If you decide you want to become an officer you can always apply to OCS. As a former Ranger NCO you might have a better chance at becoming a Ranger officer.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Slowpoke wrote:Logan, if you attend ROTC while in college or go through OCS, your chances of going through RASP2 and being assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment become very slim. It is very rare for a 2nd Lieutenant to become a candidate for RASP2. Usually, candidates are chosen from the cream of the crop of 1st Lieutenants who've proved themselves in other leadership roles. Many, if not most, Ranger NCOs have Bachelor Degrees. If you truly want to be a Ranger, the most promising path would be to enlist with an Option 40 when you've completed college. Then you would go in as an E-4 with a fast track to becoming an NCO. If you decide you want to become an officer you can always apply to OCS. As a former Ranger NCO you might have a better chance at becoming a Ranger officer.
Well, it worked with me, I was a SSG who was an advisor to a Vietnamese Ranger Battalion, went to OCS, went to Ranger school, commanded a Rifle, Support, and Anti-Tank Platoon, Two companies and a Battalions. I retired as he Senior Advisor of the Saudi Arabian National Guard.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

First you say you are going to enlist, now commissioning through ROTC. You have a lot of incorrect preconceptions as to what you can and will do, and when. The upside is you have plenty of time to figure out what your options really are. That's up to you to research.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
logan1995
Embryo

Post by logan1995 »

Rangers,
Thanks for all of the great advice you are giving me on the best ways to go about things to get into the Ranger Battalion. I will certainly look into enlisting as a E-4 with an Option 40 contract, and will get back to you if I have any questions about it that I cannot seem to find using the search bar.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Yeah... 25B is an enlisted MOS, so you wouldn't be doing that as an officer.

Also, as an officer, what branch you get isn't really up to you. You could branch Armor, and guess what, Regiment doesn't take Armor officers.

As far as rank goes, in my time in 1/75, every PL in our company was a CPT, with the exception of one who showed up as a 1LT (P), and was a CPT in very short order after arriving.

As far as OCS goes, I have seen more than a few Rangers apply, as well as for the Green to Gold program (for those with out a degree), and every one of them was accepted into the program. Two of my company commanders were former enlisted that went this route. They were both excellent commanders.

One thing I would like to know, is why do you want to be an Officer? I am not talking down on the profession, but would like to know how you arrived at the conclusion you want to be an Officer, specifically one in the 75th.

As far as your question above, most officers already have their Tab before going to RASP 2, as the opportunity is afforded to them multiple times before they would reach the point in their career where they can attend RASP 2. For Officers who attend RASP 2 with out it, they will be sent when Regiment says they will go. For most, they are selected at RASP 2 on the condition they go directly to Ranger School and graduate.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

goon175 wrote:Yeah... 25B is an enlisted MOS, so you wouldn't be doing that as an officer.

Also, as an officer, what branch you get isn't really up to you. You could branch Armor, and guess what, Regiment doesn't take Armor officers.

As far as rank goes, in my time in 1/75, every PL in our company was a CPT, with the exception of one who showed up as a 1LT (P), and was a CPT in very short order after arriving.

As far as OCS goes, I have seen more than a few Rangers apply, as well as for the Green to Gold program (for those with out a degree), and every one of them was accepted into the program. Two of my company commanders were former enlisted that went this route. They were both excellent commanders.

One thing I would like to know, is why do you want to be an Officer? I am not talking down on the profession, but would like to know how you arrived at the conclusion you want to be an Officer, specifically one in the 75th.

As far as your question above, most officers already have their Tab before going to RASP 2, as the opportunity is afforded to them multiple times before they would reach the point in their career where they can attend RASP 2. For Officers who attend RASP 2 with out it, they will be sent when Regiment says they will go. For most, they are selected at RASP 2 on the condition they go directly to Ranger School and graduate.
Agree with everything you say!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
logan1995
Embryo

Post by logan1995 »

Ranger Goon175, I want to become an officer so I can take part in the responsibility of other Rangers if I get to the Regiment. I have looked into going to Community college for 2 years then enlisting as an E-4 with an Option-40 contract, and that it most likely what I will do. Sorry for the late reply, as I do not spend much time on the Internet on weekdays due to my job and sports that I play.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Gunna get in as an E-4 with an AA level of education are you? You sure? My previous post I told you it was up to you to research it and Goon have it all to you on a platter.

The real leaders in the Regt? They wear stripes. Best officers in the Army go to the Regt, true enough. The real leaders wear stripes. Officers generally manage, provide direction and resources for the small unit leaders to practice leading and training. They empower junior leaders, they allow leaders to flourish and grow, without interfering. That's what the good officers do. In any unit.

So, as to "why I want I be an officer" of yours. Research this and come back with an answer. At what point in his career progression does an Officer get to the Regt? How do you get there?

What do you have to truly offer but expectations? You have plenty of learning to do. If you want I be successful, you'll go find it. The answer. To the question. Today's question. Tomorrow, hunt that answer. Or you'll let it come to you in it's own time, and suddenly realize at some point the world passed you by.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

logan1995 wrote:Ranger Goon175, I want to become an officer so I can take part in the responsibility of other Rangers if I get to the Regiment.
Logan1995,

You have Rangers Jim, Slowpoke, Goon175 and KW Driver all answering your questions and offering their advice. That's probably over a century of war fighting experience and service to the United States right there.

You could not make up a better list of experienced Warriors to speak too. Seriously Logan, this is akin to a high school football player being able to speak to Ray Lewis, Joe Montana or Tony Romo, you see what I'm saying? Take advantage of every word that they speak, it's gold for a young man wanting to follow their path.

As for the quote from your post above, I arrived at Battalion as an E-2 Private, an absolute zero, newbie, good for nothin' Private to the Regiment, but guess what? I was still expected to take part in the responsibility of every Ranger around me, that's what Rangers do, from top to bottom, Private to Colonel, Rangers take care of each other, we're not babysat by a bunch of Officers, they got better things to do, and frankly, the NCO's, who will be your mommy and daddy until your grow teeth, don't want them around interfering in your "growth" process.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
logan1995
Embryo

Post by logan1995 »

Rangers, I am sorry if I have come off to be unappreciative of your advice. I take everyone's advice to heart here on this thread. I understand that I have a lot of learning to do, and that is why I wanted to become a member of this website, so I could learn about the Rangers. Ranger Driver, I have researched what you asked me to look into, and upon becoming an Officer, you must wait 12 months in a regular unit before you are eligible to serve in the Ranger Regiment. Officers must complete RASP 2, only then will they be able to serve with the 75th. I've looked up Option 40 contracts, and only 150 are given out at a time to Infantry MOS', and only around 10 are given to other MOS' wanting to get a shot into the Regiment. I want to have a Signal MOS, which rarely gets Option 40 Contracts. Is there anything that I could do to possibly have a higher chance of getting the contract?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

logan1995 wrote: Ranger Driver, I have researched what you asked me to look into, and upon becoming an Officer, you must wait 12 months in a regular unit before you are eligible to serve in the Ranger Regiment.
Try Ranger KW Driver, please.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “About RASP”