ridethepony's take

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
ridethepony

ridethepony's take

Post by ridethepony »

Hello Rangers,

I am by far the worst person to take advice from... but it seems from everything that I have learned from this site, 50% of the posters are serious about joining the Rangers and completing RIP. Everyone wants to know how to do their best. They all talk about how many push-ups they can do in 2 minutes and such...
In my opinion, it seems that most guys get dropped either from the swimming test or after that at Cole Range. Why not do some swimming exercises on top of the obvious PT. If you think you will have a problem with Cole Range try to stay awake for 72 hours and then run a marathon(26.2 miles). If you can do it without quitting, you might be good.
Just a thought...

Thanks Rangers!
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Re: ridethepony's take

Post by rgrpuck »

ridethepony wrote:Hello Rangers,

I am by far the worst person to take advice from... but it seems from everything that I have learned from this site, 50% of the posters are serious about joining the Rangers and completing RIP. Everyone wants to know how to do their best. They all talk about how many push-ups they can do in 2 minutes and such...
In my opinion, it seems that most guys get dropped either from the swimming test or after that at Cole Range. Why not do some swimming exercises on top of the obvious PT. If you think you will have a problem with Cole Range try to stay awake for 72 hours and then run a marathon(26.2 miles). If you can do it without quitting, you might be good.
Just a thought...

Thanks Rangers!

I am amazed at the amount of restrant I am displaying right now...... :twisted:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

mylittlepony wrote:I am by far the worst person to take advice from...
Correct, and if you research a little, you'll find that there are threads about swimming, etc.
ridethepony wrote:In my opinion, it seems that most guys get dropped either from the swimming test or after that at Cole Range.
Most guys quit on the very first day. No shit.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
ridethepony

Post by ridethepony »

Ranger Earthpig,

Please tell me why these guys quit on the first day? Is it the push-ups, the flutter-kicks etc... or could it be that most of these guys have sat in front of a computer monitor most of their lives and played video games, and think that the Army Rangers is just an extention of that. I have no clue, that is why I am asking. I know the question has been answered somewhere here but I have not found it yet. I will keep searching. To become a Ranger is not a decision...but a process. I will try to keep that process pure.

Thanks Rangers!
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Fornication of the brain is the primary cause. They believe that they will fail before they arrive, therefore, they do. The realization that they don’t have to prove themselves by going to another unit in, say, Korea, so why go through the pain of RIP.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Must.........Not..............Type............

Puck, you are my inspiration at this point & time
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Just a thought...

Thanks Rangers!
You've been...asked not to critique anyone here. Now you have opted to start a thread offering advice and opinion?

Your opinion parades your ignorance and so far you haven't learned fuck-all from this site.

You'll make an excellent officer though...have you considered this?

Just my...opinion.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I am by far the worst person to take advice from...

3X is a charm. :wink:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
ridethepony

Post by ridethepony »

Ranger Kilted Heathen,

Point taken. I need to practice keeping my brain open and my mouth shut. I promise to do better from now on. I want to get squared away.

Thanks Rangers.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Ranger Puck answered it. They brain fuck themselves from the first week in Basic. "Wow.....this sucks. Just imagine what the Ranger life must be! It must suck a million times more."

Then, they listen to all the little rumors from the "loser brigade" about how people die in training; how bad the training sucks; you have to do six trillion pushups every day; the PT sucks; no matter how "perfect" you do your pushups on the RIP test, the mean Ranger Cadre don't count them...and fail you; the food sucks; you never get to call home; life in Battalion sucks; you'll be in RIP Hold for a year; it sucks; etc.

They graduate OSUT (yippee!), and they proceed to Jump School. By the time they graduate BAC, they are feeling pretty bullet proof. As soon as their wings are pinned on and the ceremony is over, the RIP Cadre snatch up the OPT40 dudes, knock those maroon berets off your head (that you were so proud to earn), and make you do the "duffle bag boogie" all the way to the RIP compound. Of course, they stop every 100 feet or so and smoke your balls off. Usually, twenty or thirty will quit before they even get to the barracks.

And it goes downhill from there.

So, you can either be in good enough physical AND mental shape to handle that and see the humor in it, or you quit. If you can shut out the pain and actually be amused by it all...especially in those who quit...then chances are, you're gonna make it all the way.

It's 90% mental.

RLTW
EP
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

ridethepony wrote:Ranger Kilted Heathen,

Point taken. I need to practice keeping my brain open and my mouth shut. I promise to do better from now on. I want to get squared away.

Thanks Rangers.
Bear in mind that this is a recruitment thread and you are neither a qualified recruiter nor are you asking for recruitment information and to offer your "take" on any particular subject is ridiculous especially when the advice you are giving is irresponsible in the extreme. If some highschool kid were to take your example and try staying up for three fucking days and running a fucking marathon he can do himself serious harm.

Once again, learn to stay in your lane. Fuck, you were snivelling about completing a basic crossfit-style workout and then you open a thread "recommending" a cross between BRC and a fucking triathlon as a diagnostic fitness test.

I have a mentee here named DUG, he keeps his mouth shut and he fucking listens and he's on his way now to Benning to start the SF pipe-line. PM him and have him square you away.

And for fucks' sake...that fucking screen-name is gay.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

EarthPig wrote:Ranger Puck answered it. They brain fuck themselves from the first week in Basic. "Wow.....this sucks. Just imagine what the Ranger life must be! It must suck a million times more."

Then, they listen to all the little rumors from the "loser brigade" about how people die in training; how bad the training sucks; you have to do six trillion pushups every day; the PT sucks; no matter how "perfect" you do your pushups on the RIP test, the mean Ranger Cadre don't count them...and fail you; the food sucks; you never get to call home; life in Battalion sucks; you'll be in RIP Hold for a year; it sucks; etc.

They garduate OSUT (yippee!), and they proceed to Jump School. By the time they graduate BAC, they are feeling pretty bullet proof. As soon as their wings are pinned on and the ceremony is over, the RIP Cadre snatch up the OPT40 dudes, knock those maroon berets off your head (that you were so proud to earn), and make you do the "duffle bag boogie" all the way to the RIP compound. Of course, they stop every 100 feet or so and smoke your balls off. Usually, twenty or thirty will quit before they even get to the barracks.

And it goes downhill from there.

So, you can either be in good enough physical AND mental shape to handle that and see the humor in it, or you quit. If you can shut out the pain and actually be amused by it all...especially in those who quit...then chances are, you're gonna make it all the way.

It's 90% mental.

RLTW
EP
Kinda like marriage......just sayin
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

***MOVED TO PROPER FORUM***

RLTW
EP
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

EarthPig wrote:***MOVED TO PROPER FORUM***

RLTW
EP
We have a proper forum for this bullshit?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Kilted Heathen wrote:
EarthPig wrote:***MOVED TO PROPER FORUM***

RLTW
EP
We have a proper forum for this bullshit?
:lol: Well, as proper as I could find.

RLTW
EP

Return to “About RASP”