Prepping tips for the RIP road march(es)

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
jakeshoe
Ranger

Post by jakeshoe »

Steadfast knows...

No dye in the thread.
Aco/HHC 2/75 95-99
Antrim
US Army Veteran

Post by Antrim »

As far as boxers or underwear go, something to look into might be underarmour. Kind of spendy, and not standard issue, but... something to look into if freeballin' ain't your thing.

http://www.underarmour.com
D co 4/12 INF - 1st AD ('90-'92)
A co 1/9 CAV - 1st CD ('92-'94)

Post by AngryPistols »

jakeshoe wrote: The thread wicks the fluid out of the blister, without cutting a big hole in it, it can stay there to wick for several days, you can leave the skin in place, it will harden and be a nice hard piece of meat for the next march.
Excellent advice there Ranger Jakeshoe. Thanks indeed for posting the information.
jakeshoe wrote: Don't fall for any of that two pair of socks, panty hose BS. Are you willing to fuqqin' die in combat wearing a pair of pantyhose? .
:lol: :lol:

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Moni D

Post by Moni D »

Steadfast wrote:
monica12801 wrote:
jakeshoe wrote:take a piece of WHITE thread, and thread it through your blisters, leaving the thread in place. Ideally you'd cut the needle off here..
Also you'd do this right before you go to sleep.
I need to remember this for when I break in a new pair of dress shoes...THANK YOU!!!
Just out of curiousity Ranger jakeshoe, why does it have to be white thread, and does the thread remove fairly easily afterwards?
White thread is the only thread without dye.
:roll: duh- i should have known that... forgive me for yet another idiotic question Ranger Steadfast...
Apollo
Tadpole

Post by Apollo »

Rangers,
Thank you for the tips, I tried a few of them today. The vasiline and no underware worked perfect. I didn't even have to think about it. Something I tried with minimal success was putting vasiline on my toes (to prevent friction). I trend to get blisters between my toes so instead this time the number was reduced. I'm going to have to try some of the other tips you all provided on my next march. Thanks again for the tips
---Jon
Keep on keepin' on---Joe dirt

"Sometimes you need faith in a cause to believe in yourself."

Ranger DocDaigle is my mentor.
RGR_Dan
Ranger

roadmarching

Post by RGR_Dan »

I found the best way to prevent destroying your feet was to unlace your boots down to the point where the eyelets start to go vertical. Then pull the laces tight and put in a square knot. This will keep your boots from getting loose and allowing your foot to slide. Just fuggin walk and take care of your feet after.
I THINK ANYTHING OTHER THAN TIGHT BOOTS AND TOUGH FEET ARE BULLSHIT.
*I don't know if this is smart or stupid but I had a squad leader that didn't let us wear socks in Panama.
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
Moni D

Post by Moni D »

YAY!!! Thanks for the thread tip for blisters! I wound up with three after being dumb enough to go for a "stroll" in my (unbroken in) dress sandals.

Used the thread, and the blisters went down without having to lance them (ugh) and the spot hasnt blisterd again :D
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

jakeshoe wrote: Your gonna get fuqqin blisters, chafed ass cheeks, etc..

You ain't got time to stop and be fuqqin with your socks, your ballz, your pantyhose, your ruck, or ANYTHING.

My suggestion,
is to not use powder, use issue socks, I turned them inside out, I liked the green ones better than the black.
And NEVER change your socks, or take your boots off during a march.

Take your boots off and your feet swell.. You want to keep the swelling from happening. Once that happens the ole dogs start screaming.

This stuff does not all apply for more than a single road march. i.e. If on a long field problem or Ranger school I would change socks before long movements. If I had a dry pr to put on.
Great advise jakeshoe! I am with you about not taking your boots off or changing socks. I always found this worked best for me. 30 milers suck no matter what you do, so if your feet are not giving you any problems then leave them alone and if they are giving you problems then you are fucked and it doesn't matter. Roadmarching is 90% mental, just suck it up and you'll be fine or drop out and go world wide, it's your choice.
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

Silverback wrote:You have to be careful with mole skin. The adhesive on the mole skin is not enough to keep the patch on your feet. I use (DOC help me on this one) Tincture of benznine. It's also great for injecting into post roadmarch blisters.
That shit fucking hurts..but just a little while..

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

All that pre prep get ready shit is great if your getting ready for a roadmarch that you know is coming. I think Mitch hit... 90% mental. You never know when you are going to have to hump your ass off. Do what you can to toughen your feet up, so that you'll always be ready. Long fast road marches will kick your ass. Lace em up tight so your feet don't slip and slide.

If you want to break a pair of boots in quick, and you know you will be able to take care of your feet for a few days, here was my trick. I would get them soaking ass wet. Wear the all day and change my socks a couple time during the day ( usually did this when we were hanging around the barracks). I would do this for 2-3 days. After that them Jungles were ready for anything. DON"T DO THIS UNLESS YOU CAN CHANGE SOCKS DURING THE DAY AND TAKE OFF YOUR BOOTS FOR THE NIGHT!!!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Ink For A Reason wrote:
Antrim wrote:As far as boxers or underwear go, something to look into might be underarmour. Kind of spendy, and not standard issue, but... something to look into if freeballin' ain't your thing.

http://www.underarmour.com

God I wish I could take my underarmour with me. I practicaly live in mine. I dont know about the other schools but according to this packing list you will be immediatly dismissed if you bring the underarmour.

https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/RANGER ... _list.html

Damn.
mom can mail them to you after you graduate OSUT/BAC/RIP if you're lucky/good enough to get that far. you won't be needing to worry about RGR for awhile...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Evolution
Embryo

Post by Evolution »

Rangers,

All this advice is much appreciated. We (DEP's) all have it to easy before we ship with all of you sharing knowledge like this. I'm not complaining tho. :twisted:
"If your buddies don't like you there because you are a piece of shit, they will vote you off the mother fucking island." ~ Ranger Dublo
RGRJim
Ranger

Post by RGRJim »

Underarmour T-shirts are authorized in Ranger School now. I know they aren't on the updated packing list, but we've worn them with RTB's consent since class 01-06.

-Jim
NYARNG 05-Present
RS 03-06

Return to “About RASP”