How prepared do you need to be??

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Deadmeat

Post by Deadmeat »

As the above post states having a RI yelling at you actually sounds fun. I mean who else gets motivated by having someone yell at you. I just kinda figure its tough love :D
oldglory

Post by oldglory »

Just relax man youve got a long road ahead of you. Be in the best shape you can when you show up for basic. Even then Basic Training is really good for getting in shape, youl get plenty of food, and even though the runs and Pt will get very lame youl start doing extra PT on your own. Just dont forget this during airborne school and get fat eating candy and anthonys pizza at the px. The PT is a total joke in airborne, buddy up with some guys who also have ranger contracts and do more PT on your own.

Once you go to Ft. Benning and see 3rd Bat retards running around youl realize the standard is very high, and you either rise to that challenge or you quit. Most people quit through fake injuries in my opinion , The physical standards of RIP are not that bad (compared to what they should be). be able to run a quick 2 mile( i was running in the high 12's when i went through) and be able to run a 5 mile in 36 minutes or so. Push upa and sit ups you should be able to pump out in the 80's.

RIP is not dedicated to making Rangers. Its an INDOCTRINATION- you become a ranger in the next year or so AFTER rip , RIP is mainly a filter to weed out people who lack the will or fitness level to be shaped into what is expected of a 75th Ranger. It's a big mind fuck.
SgtSommer
Embryo

Oh Moy...

Post by SgtSommer »

In response to the: is it like in GI Jane, where you ring a bell?

The answer as already stated is no. However to shed a little light...

Back before the NSW (Naval Special Warfare) center moved the BUD/S complex across the strand at Coronado, "Mother" Moy was an instructor at the school. After having moved into the new complex students continued quitting regardless of their new habitat and did the norm: Rapping on the instructors door and yelling DOR (Drop on request) or more simply I quit. "Mother" Moy was pissed. Not because the shithead quit, but merely because the bastard was scraping his new door. So after lashing a bell to a pole and informing the current class of the new procedure the tradition of "ringing" out of BUD/S was established and has been continued ever since.

So to clarify: NO

The bell is a Navy SEAL tradition started by the loving "Mother" Moy. The end, goodnight children.
Before you run, learn to walk.
wannabehooah

Post by wannabehooah »

I think what Ranger Plavney is trying to tell you there is that you can join and just be a DEP'r (delayed entry program). Since you're a junior I guess the earliest you could sign up would be this summer. You can just wait of course, but being in DEP will help you get your shit together before you leave for basic. We do some PT, but it mostly helps you learn stuff like drill and ceremony, general orders and other basics that you will have to learn. Plus, if you sign up early you're more likely to get the job you want and an earlier ship date after graduation. I signed up to leave ASAP after graduation and got pretty close...20 days after I graduate, I leave.
Looon
Ranger

GET YOUR CRAP TOGETHER DEADMEAT

Post by Looon »

BASIC AND AIT ARE TOO EASY NOW, AND AIRBORNE SCHOOL ISNT MUCH, EITHER. IF YOU MAKE IT TO RIP, YOU BETTER HOLD ON, BECAUSE THOSE INSTRUCTORS WILL EAT YOUR LUNCH.
AFTER THAT, IN BATT, IF ANYONE THINKS Y0U DONT HAVE WHAT IT TAKES, THEY WILL MAKE YOU SO MISERABLE YOU'LL WANT TO QUIT.

ALSO, DONT GO IF YOU DONT WANT TO SEE COMBAT. IN '89 WE HAD A FEW OF THOSE SORRY FUCKERS. WHEN IT WAS TIME TO GO TO PANAMA, THEY STARTED COMING UP WITH EXCUSES.

REMEMBER, MOST OF THE U.S.'S COMBAT SINCE VIETNAM HAS INVOLVED THE RANGERS.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
wannabehooah

Post by wannabehooah »

DEP is kinda important. It's stuff you will learn in basic and you could probably learn most of it on your own, but it's helpful. They also pound all the simple things into you so you don't screw up in basic. We have something goin on once a month with the whole group and I meet with my recruiter once a week to go over stuff like land nav. I actually like going, it's motivating, especially the days we do PT (although it is slack). Running in formation is good stuff, plus you get to watch the slackers puke their guts out.

It's up to you, but if you're serious about this I would join ASAP and cram in as much knowledge as possible before you leave. Don't bother with the bench presses. Stick to push-ups, sit-ups, flutter kicks, pull-ups, and running. I do some weight lifting to work my shoulders, back and forearms, but you don't really need to do much on the weights.

Just make sure you get what you want in your contract and then work your ass off to make sure you're ready when you get your shot.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Yukk, can you please explain to me what you mean by taking the APFT to get promoted? Also, did you get it?
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Yukk-

Don't lose an ounce of that motivation. Ranger Bat is all about motivation and discipline. Try not to become discouraged with your current security problem. If you out-perform your peers in your unit, continue to set challenging goals and attain them, and remain highly motivated, I feel certain that after your citizenship goes through, you will have little to stand in the way of you becoming a Ranger. As far as the technicalities go, Ranger S. Plavney is probably the most qualified person on this board to answer your questions. Good luck and keep driving on!

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
metal66272
Egg

Post by metal66272 »

Or get one of your buddies to join. After a referral and completing all those DEP tasks, I am an E-3 as of now and I ship in two weeks.

Return to “About RASP”