RIP Graduation

Eight weeks of smoke, training & evaluation.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Yes family can go to graduation.

No he can't go home before reporting for duty.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

You may travel a few hundred miles to witness his graduation, and leave feeling like you didn't have enough time to spend with him, but I would still very much urge you to go.

He may play it off and tell you it is no big deal, but it is. My graduation was short, sweet and to the point. Not a whole lot of family time afterwards. His may very well be the same. I didn't want my folks driving a few hundred miles to spend less than an hour, not with me, but just near me. I wish I hadn't told them to stay home, in retrospect.

This is the one event that you can witness, that signifies him changing from the boy you raised into the Ranger he will be for the rest of his life. It is his formal initiation, or birth, into a Brotherhood that has come to be one of my most prized possessions in my life, and will be in his as well. As the years go forward, you will want to say that you were there to see it.

You can't put a price tag on your son seeing your face, and without a word being spoken, him being able to see the pride you feel for him in your face. He's got some trying times ahead. Get on that bird, Dad, and go shake your son's hand. The meetings will still be there when you get back.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: RIP Graduation

Post by AbnRgr289 »

ProudAFDad wrote:Also- after grad- do you typically get a few days to get your personal effects from home enroute to your new unit?
He will get leave with the rest of his Bn after he gets there.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

AbnRgr289 wrote:
ProudAFDad wrote:Also- after grad- do you typically get a few days to get your personal effects from home enroute to your new unit?
Depends on what Battalion he goes to.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I'll try to drop in for it.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Save it for the tab
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Matador275 wrote:
AbnRgr289 wrote:
Depends on what Battalion he goes to.
If he doesn't get leave, seperate all the stuff he wants, and have him contact his post transportation office.

He technically PCSed from home to his current duty station and thus is eligible to have X amount of weight shipped at the government's expense. You'll probably need his power of attorney in order to be the one signing the documents when they come and pick it up, but they'll box up and ship a crapload of gear. I don't know exactly how much he's authorized to ship, but it's probably around a thousand pounds.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “About RASP”