• Advertisement
Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com

Click here to Register

Search

Advertisement

Olympics

Our neighbors from the Great White North.

Re: Olympics

PostAuthor: RangerX » February 23rd, 2010, 12:06 pm

So the thing about foreign athletes training in the US & Canada is that we have the best facilities.

The thing that confounds me is the number of Americans that compete for foreign countries. I understand that they just want a chance to compete in the Olympics. My thought is that if they are not good enough to be on the US team, then what chance to they stand to actually beat the US team?
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Dark Lord of the Internet

My Peace Sign has Mil-dots

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Donate

Panem Et Circenses
RangerX
Ranger

Has Milk Boned: 5 times
Been Milk Boned: 4 times

PostAuthor: Jim » February 23rd, 2010, 1:37 pm

RangerX wrote:So the thing about foreign athletes training in the US & Canada is that we have the best facilities.

The thing that confounds me is the number of Americans that compete for foreign countries. I understand that they just want a chance to compete in the Olympics. My thought is that if they are not good enough to be on the US team, then what chance to they stand to actually beat the US team?

It is for the prestige of representing a their country. The members of the Panama basketball team all went to college in the US and most played for that school -- for the Pan-American games they come home and practice together. They sometimes practiced against U.S. Army teams at Fort Clayton's gym.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Jim
Ranger/Admin

Has Milk Boned: 17 times
Been Milk Boned: 11 times

PostAuthor: Baseplate » February 23rd, 2010, 2:21 pm

RangerX wrote:So the thing about foreign athletes training in the US & Canada is that we have the best facilities.

You sure as hell have a better chance compeating under another countries flag than you do sitting at home watching the gmaes on TV.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Baseplate
Ranger

Has Milk Boned: 0 time
Been Milk Boned: 0 time

PostAuthor: hobbit » February 23rd, 2010, 9:02 pm

Did anybody catch the Canada/Germany men's hockey game tonight? I've been a hockey fan all my life and played when I was a kid, but I saw something in that game that I've never seen before. Canadian defenseman Shayne Weber blasted a slap shot from near the blue line that was so fast and so hard it actually penetrated the back of the goal netting, hit the boards, then bounced back out onto the rink where Canada picked it up and continued play. Nobody knew it had been a goal! Finally, about 15 seconds later, a whistle stopped play and the officials delayed the game while they checked the video. Even in slow motion the puck looks so fast you can barely see it. What an incredible shot! What an amazing goal!
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
hobbit
LRRP/Ranger

Has Milk Boned: 1 time
Been Milk Boned: 1 time

PostAuthor: Lunch » February 24th, 2010, 8:01 am

hobbit wrote:
...I've been so intrigued with women's hockey that I looked up all the bios of the American & Canadian women's teams. Average height is about 5'6" and average weight is around 155. Every one of them look like they spend three hours a day on a weight machine. There's not one of them I'd want to face in the octagon. :lol:

One of our Forest Service figherfighters was an alternate on the women's olympic hockey team for the last go-round. You would swear she was a dyke before you get to know her, but noooooo, not at all. Or maybe she is just denying nature and overcompensating? None the less, she is one hard-ass chick to be sure. She had been training to be a smokejumper, but overtrained to the extent that she had stress fractures in both her hips (or something like that). It has been proven on several instances that people best not fuck with the guys on her crew- she'll be openin' that can o' whoop ass just for shits and giggles. Very cool, great to work a fire with, great to drink with- but I dunno; just can't imagine her looking good nekked.
Aco 3/75 1988-1990
HHC 2/11 1990-1992
Aco 2/3 SFG(A), ODA 345,346 1993-1996
HSC 2/3 SFG(A) CE 1996-1997

My pain is self-chosen

"Of the seven deadly sins, Mr. Grumpy represents Wrath".
Lunch
Ranger

Has Milk Boned: 2 times

PostAuthor: RRDTm3 » February 24th, 2010, 8:19 am

RangerX wrote:http://www.anaarce.com/Calendario%20Curling/A-Curling%20Calendar.htm

those are actual curlers?
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
RRDTm3
Ranger

PostAuthor: RangerX » February 24th, 2010, 9:10 am

RRDTm3 wrote:
RangerX wrote:http://www.anaarce.com/Calendario%20Curling/A-Curling%20Calendar.htm

those are actual curlers?

Based on the digging I did, yes. They were the ones who made up the 2009 Women of Curling calendar. The 2010 calendar is significantly less hot.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Dark Lord of the Internet

My Peace Sign has Mil-dots

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Donate

Panem Et Circenses
RangerX
Ranger

Has Milk Boned: 5 times
Been Milk Boned: 4 times

PostAuthor: hobbit » February 24th, 2010, 7:58 pm

My God!!! Did Canada's hockey team just hand Russia their ass on a platter or what? :shock:
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
hobbit
LRRP/Ranger

PostAuthor: snafu » February 25th, 2010, 8:20 am

Damn, I missed that game...I think Canada's loss to the U.S. lit a fire under their ass! Also, these bobsledders have a screw loose. There was a German women's team who crashed pretty badly (both were ok) but the rear chick ejected out of the bobsled and slid down the track, the driver just rode it out and was banging her head down the track until it stopped. They were beating the Canadians too when they crashed. Gotta take a risk sometime!
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
snafu
Ranger

PostAuthor: hobbit » February 25th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Hockey Tickets Anybody?

A lot of people who bought tickets to the recent USA/Canada men's hockey game didn't make it into the colluseum. Why? Because their tickets were worth $3000 each by game day! They were standing outside scalping their tickets like crazy, and people were paying three grand apiece for the best seats.

If you think that's something though, those who bought tickets for the final gold medal men's hockey game are anticipating scalping prices of $10,000 per ticket if the final game is between Canada and the USA! Who says the Olympics are only for the affluent? :?
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

hobbit
LRRP/Ranger

Previous

Return to Canada

• Advertisement

copyright credits
Army Ranger Mojo Inc. 501(c)3 a non-profit organization supporting Army Rangers past, present and future.