QNE (Qualified but not Enlisted) holding out for an 11x Option 40

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
mikeguerrero64
Embryo

QNE (Qualified but not Enlisted) holding out for an 11x Option 40

Post by mikeguerrero64 »

Hello Rangers,

I've been using the search engine to help answer my questions, but I need your guidance.

This week I went down to MEPS and qualified for everything to attain an 11x Option 40 contract. After I took the ASVAB my recruiter told me there were no Option 40s available across the board. He asked me if I wanted to "talk to the counselor and maybe the counselor can work something out for me". So I agreed and stayed at a hotel and qualified for everything in the morning. When my counselor could not get me an 11x option 40, I told him "I appreciate the help, but I can't see myself singing anything unless it was an 11x Option 40. I will be fine with waiting out for one".

Soon enough, everyone from the USAREC scrambled and began talking to me. The Master Sergeant gave me his pep talk about him growing up poor and yada yada, and tried convincing me to do intelligence or Special Forces. I remained calm and persistent and responded ," Sergeant, since I was a kid, I dreamed of being a Ranger. I want a shot to make it into the 75th. I will wait for an Option 40. Thank you for your support". I walked away again.

My recruiters called me immediately. Sounding angry with me they told me to
1.) Sign an 11x with no Option 40
2.) They would renegotiate my contact once an Option 40 came back up.

I knew how much they had helped me with paperwork and driving me down to MEPS etc., but deep down I just felt it wasn't right to sign without an Option 40. Just the idea of never getting a chance to make it into the Regiment made me tear up. That's how bad I want it.

Above all, I didn't sign. My recruiter took me back to the local station. All the recruiters yelled at me. Because I did not sign, their whole recruiting station was under pressure from their command.

Yesterday, they tried to rush me back down to MEPS and to sign 11x without an Option 40. I told them, "No, call me when an 11x option 40 comes back up and I will sign immediately. I appreciate all the help".

I understand how bad it looks on them for me to be a QNE (qualified, but not enlisted), but to them I know I'm just a quota. I know how incredibly hard it is to get to Regiment without an Option 40.

Have I made the right choice? What do I do? I feel like the recruiters will no longer help me and will not even bother to check for available 11x Option 40s. Is there anyway I can check the system or find out if Option 40s are available?

P.S.
Has anyone renegotiated their contract to get an option 40?

Thanks

Mike
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: QNE (Qualified but not Enlisted) holding out for an 11x Option 40

Post by cams »

Welcome and good for you for sticking to your guns. If that is what you want, wait it out, you're young, the Army and The Regiment will still be there when a list of Opt 40's opens up.

It could be that there are Opt 40's available right now, but the recruiters either don't know how to get them, can't be bothered with the extra work to get them, or just don't care and want to fill 11x with no add-ons.

So they yelled at you, F it, they were just trying to pressure you into signing what THEY want, and you'll never see them again once you ship.

Think of them like used car salesman. They don't give a good goddamn about you or what you want, they just need to sell the cars that they have on the lot right now.

There are some good recruiters out there though, who will put in the effort, those guys won't yell at you, or pressure you, they'll simply do their jobs and try to get you what you're looking for.

Be smart, it's your life and your chance to shape it the way you'd like. If they won't work with you, go to another recruiters office and firmly but politely state your desire for an Opt 40 and so on. You may have to wait 6 months, but that also gives you a chance to better prepare yourself for the path you're asking to take. It is not an easy one and many many men fall out along the way.

Prepare, PT, study Ranger History and don't accept anything less than what you want for yourself in life.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

mikeguerrero64 wrote:Hello Rangers,

I told him "I appreciate the help, but I can't see myself singing anything unless it was an 11x Option 40. I will be fine with waiting out for one".

Sergeant, since I was a kid, I dreamed of being a Ranger. I want a shot to make it into the 75th. I will wait for an Option 40. Thank you for your support". I walked away again.

Above all, I didn't sign. My recruiter took me back to the local station. All the recruiters yelled at me. Because I did not sign, their whole recruiting station was under pressure from their command.

Yesterday, they tried to rush me back down to MEPS and to sign 11x without an Option 40. I told them, "No, call me when an 11x option 40 comes back up and I will sign immediately. I appreciate all the help".
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

We should probably sticky this and change the topic to something about "how to sign an Opt 40 contract"...

Don't think I have admin rights in here to do it since I'm a admin in name only these days.

Edit - I take that back, there is a list of stickies up there... either way, well handled. 8)
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mike, be patient, Option 40 slots are out there. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
mikeguerrero64
Embryo

Post by mikeguerrero64 »

Hello Rangers,

Thanks for all of the support. I really appreciate it.

Here's an update.

The last time I spoke to the recruiter, I told him "No, call me when an 11x option 40 comes back up and I will sign immediately. I appreciate all the help". This was after they wanted to rush me down to MEPs again to sign an 11x no Option 40.

That was roughly 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard anything from the recruiters. I get the feeling like they want nothing to do with me at this point.

What should I do? Walk in every week checking for Option 40s ? I wish I could look up any available 11x Option 40s myself. I doubt my recruiters will consider looking up available Option 40 contracts for me.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

When I call a company and do not get the response I want I ask to talk to a manager or at least a different rep. That fails? I hang up and call back to get a completely different group of people (hopefully).

Check in with your recruiters if they have not reached out to you. It is your contract. At the end of the day, you are perusing this contract with their help. Not the other way around.

Search the site some. There is probably advice in the forums as I know there have been people to wait before you.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please be patient. Eventually, you will get your Option 40. As I have said many times, you need to stay active, to get what you want. To the recruiter, you represent a quota, to you it is your life experience. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”