Permanent Resident Inquiry

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
BlueEagle
Embryo

Permanent Resident Inquiry

Post by BlueEagle »

Good day everyone!

I understand that one must be a US citizen in order to volunteer to apply for the 75th Ranger Regiment.

As I understand, it is possible to gain said citizenship during or shortly after BCT (please correct me if I am wrong). *

If this is the case, is it possible to apply for the 75th Ranger Regiment after receiving said citizenship?

Lastly, I have read that 68W with an Option 4 in their contracts are able to volunteer for the 75th Ranger Regiment during AIT or Airborne school. That being said, if one chooses to pursue the 68W path, does one's chances of going to the regiment increase? (assuming that they were previously a Permanent Resident and obtained citizenship during or after BCT)

Also, is there a similar program for the 11Bs? Or do only 68Ws have the opportunity to volunteer during AIT/Airborne School?

Some of the things I stated here may be incorrent, if there are mistakes please correct me and I apologize for them in advance.

BlueEagle.

* I have had my Permanent Residency for over 9 years now. I haven't gotten my citizenship because of my current situation (family)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Permanent Resident Inquiry

Post by Jim »

This is a complex issue. My suggestion is that you check with the Defense Attache at the US Embassy in Manila. There are some unique regulations that may be applied. Not trying to avoid an answer, but I am not an expert.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
BlueEagle
Embryo

Post by BlueEagle »

Oh I don't think I emphasized it but I am a Permanent Resident already, Ranger Jim :)

My concern was whether there is a "larger" chance to join the Regiment via 68W as compared to 11B? and if there was a similar program for the 11B to "volunteer" w/o and Option 40.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

If you want to be a member of the Ranger Regiment, you have to be a citizen. I spent a long time in the Army, and had a number of soldiers earn their citizenship. Becoming a US citizen takes a fair amount of time. That is why I directed you to find out what the rules are for you. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

I got one of our SCU people over here on a visitation visa in 2007. He stayed as long as he could and it took me two more years to get him a immigration Visa. Last December, he was sworn in as a US Citizen. This will not happen overnight and please follow Ranger Jim's advise. Good luck.
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.
BlueEagle
Embryo

Post by BlueEagle »

To Ranger Jim and Ranger LRP1

Thank you for the advice. I will do so. I agree that it's a complex issue, I'll find my way though it.

Out of curiousity, what's SCU?

Thank you again!

BlueEagle.
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

SCU, Special Commando Unit, MACV SOG, one of my interpreters.
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.

Return to “Recruitment Process”