Life as a Ranger officer?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Dismay
Embryo

Life as a Ranger officer?

Post by Dismay »

Hello, Rangers. My son just sent in his packet requesting assignment to the Ranger Regiment. I've heard that getting a Ranger PL slot is really tough, but getting there would be the culmination of his hopes - and a lot of hard work - going back to his time in college.

Now, most of what I've been able to find about the Regiment talks about the jobs the enlisted soldiers and NCOs do, and rightfully so, but could anyone tell me if/how the job of a Ranger PL is different from that job in the regular Army? What makes those spots so highly sought after?
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Life as a Ranger officer?

Post by Jim »

Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Dismay wrote:Hello, Rangers. My son just sent in his packet requesting assignment to the Ranger Regiment. I've heard that getting a Ranger PL slot is really tough, but getting there would be the culmination of his hopes - and a lot of hard work - going back to his time in college.

Now, most of what I've been able to find about the Regiment talks about the jobs the enlisted soldiers and NCOs do, and rightfully so, but could anyone tell me if/how the job of a Ranger PL is different from that job in the regular Army? What makes those spots so highly sought after?

The 75th Ranger Regiment is one of the best trained, funded and selective units in the world. The Regiments history spans back to before our nation was formed. The men of the Battalions have always succeeded in their missions including those thought impossible. During the current conflict the Regiment has always had men on the ground from day one and has been proven to be one of the most lethal forces fielded to date.

The enlisted men of the Regiment are trained to think for themselves, be flexible and move incredibly fast. They need leaders that can keep up (I truly mean "Keep up". I have heard 1LT's have near meltdowns early in their tenures when their Platoons moved faster than they could track). Unlike some units the Officers in the 75th are truly held to a higher standard and have been known to fail and subsequently get Relived for Cause and sent down the road in disgrace for the same infractions as the Enlisted Men (during my tenure a BN Commander was relieved for DUI and two PL's were relieved in front of their platoons for Negligent Discharges).

It's not all "doom and gloom". Young Officers in the Regiment benefit from the mentorship of some of the best selected, well trained and experienced Military Professionals in the world. As well as seeing first hand one of the most effective junior leadership development environments. They can take these lessons and observations with them when they leave and implement them at their next assignment.

Service for Officers in the Rangers definitely gives them a "leg up" regarding advancement ahead of their peers. Notable Generals with Regimental Service:
LTG Stanley McChrystal
GEN Wayne Downing
GEN Joseph Votel
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I agree with everything Ranger Tough says and will add that under most circumstances Platoon Leaders in the Ranger Regiment have already demonstrated their skills earlier. The fact that your son represented the 25th ID in BRC put him in a strong position for consideration. Obviously he has a lot going for him.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Dismay
Embryo

Post by Dismay »

Thanks, Rangers. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he can a) make the cut, and b) keep up as stated. He loves being a PL and works hard every day to get better at it, so learning from the best of the best - well, what could be better?
Dismay
Embryo

Post by Dismay »

Hello again, Rangers. Wanted to circle back with an update: my son finally has a RASP2 date. They had to find a job for him since he's past his year group but he's happy to going.

Thanks for providing such a great resource.

Return to “Recruitment Process”