Getting in the Regiment without Opt 40

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Hey guys, I come to you with a question. I originally tried getting into the AF(PJ contract) but I was DQ'd for my vision. I talked to an Army recruiter and he was able to get me in. I told him I wanted to go 68W with Opt 40, but he said he just learned today that since I have a waiver, I am ineligible for Option 40 on my contract. He did say that I am able to get in while in BCT or AIT because there are Ranger recruiters there.

Is this possible for me to do? I feel like my recruiter is just telling me this to get me in, but I want to know for sure that I will be able to get the opportunity to go to RASP and everything.

Ranger medic or bust! :mrgreen:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Getting in the Regiment without Opt 40

Post by Jim »

fireguy1 wrote:Hey guys, I come to you with a question. I originally tried getting into the AF(PJ contract) but I was DQ'd for my vision. I talked to an Army recruiter and he was able to get me in. I told him I wanted to go 68W with Opt 40, but he said he just learned today that since I have a waiver, I am ineligible for Option 40 on my contract. He did say that I am able to get in while in BCT or AIT because there are Ranger recruiters there.

Is this possible for me to do? I feel like my recruiter is just telling me this to get me in, but I want to know for sure that I will be able to get the opportunity to go to RASP and everything.

It is not uncommon. Ranger Grimm666 and a number of others took that route.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Jim wrote:
fireguy1 wrote:Hey guys, I come to you with a question. I originally tried getting into the AF(PJ contract) but I was DQ'd for my vision. I talked to an Army recruiter and he was able to get me in. I told him I wanted to go 68W with Opt 40, but he said he just learned today that since I have a waiver, I am ineligible for Option 40 on my contract. He did say that I am able to get in while in BCT or AIT because there are Ranger recruiters there.

It is not uncommon. Ranger Grimm666 and a number of others took that route.
Thank you Ranger Jim, I will search the site and find more information on it.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Look at letters from school thread. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

I believe the first thing said should have been, "RANGERS, I have a question", not "Hey guys. Remember, a Ranger is a Ranger at all times. If you want to be a Ranger start acting like it 'right now'! As far as your question goes, follow Ranger Jim's advice. Search is your friend at times like these. Find out which Rangers have done it and pick their brains. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Roger wilco, Ranger rangerjd.
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Pardon me Ranger Tater Nuts, perhaps there is a misunderstanding.

I want to be part of the best of the best, and there are more than enough examples that that unit is the 75th. I feel like I would best serve my country as a Ranger, specifically a Ranger medic. I want to help people and would undoubtedly give my life for another. To be able to save a member of the most elite unit in the military so that he could live to continue to serve his country would be an honor.

As far as my inquiry about Firefighting, I thought that it would be a viable career if/when I were to get out of the military.

I do have poor vision, but I hope that this doesn't bar me from enlisting to serve my country.

I meant no offense or insult Ranger Tater Nuts.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

fireguy1 wrote:I do have poor vision, but I hope that this doesn't bar me from enlisting to serve my country.
OK.

We can clear this up right now.

Q. How many fingers am I holding up??
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
fireguy1
Embryo

Post by fireguy1 »

Tater Nuts wrote:
fireguy1 wrote:Pardon me Ranger Tater Nuts, perhaps there is a misunderstanding.

I want to be part of the best of the best, and there are more than enough examples that that unit is the 75th. I feel like I would best serve my country as a Ranger, specifically a Ranger medic. I want to help people and would undoubtedly give my life for another. To be able to save a member of the most elite unit in the military so that he could live to continue to serve his country would be an honor.

As far as my inquiry about Firefighting, I thought that it would be a viable career if/when I were to get out of the military.

I do have poor vision, but I hope that this doesn't bar me from enlisting to serve my country.

I meant no offense or insult Ranger Tater Nuts.
No offense taken, but look at what you have written. "I want to be part of the best of the best" well, the best of the best have the highest standards for option 40 candidates. You unfortunately do not meet this standard, however there is a way you can prove that you can compensate for this by excelling at basic and AIT and convincing those in charge of you that you deserve a shot at RASP. They may not feel that you are the best of the best and you end up serving your country honorably as a field medic somewhere else. On the other hand there is a chance you may be one of the .001 percent that has what it takes to make your way to the Regiment. Do you honestly think you are one of those ?
I would kick myself for eternity if I did not try my hardest, Ranger Tater Nuts. I am not afraid to make decisions, even if they are the wrong ones, they are mine to make. The overwhelming odds against me only fuel my motivation to become the best individual I can be.

I love my chances, Ranger Tater Nuts.
Willy_P
Ranger

Post by Willy_P »

Earn it, dude.
RASP #08-11
RS #04,05-13
HHC, 3/75 MTR.

Return to “Recruitment Process”