Adding Option 40 and USAREC Form 1035

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Adding Option 40 and USAREC Form 1035

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Just to provide some background that I did not include in my introduction post (it was lengthy enough), I lost the Option 40 that I had had reserved because I failed the airborne physical. Somewhere around 4 times in a row. Just couldn't get my left ear to pop. If there has been one week in my entire life where I really needed to not have a cold, that was it. But unfortunately, I did.

I signed the 11X contract sans Option 40 after failing the airborne physical for the second time. I wasn't going to, heeding the advice that I had read on here many times about getting the Option 40 in writing at all costs. But then I found myself on the phone with a First Sergeant who did a great job of rhetorically cornering me. He pointed out that I may very well be physically incapable of passing the airborne physical, and asked if I would still enlist as an 11X if going to Airborne School wasn't a possibility for me.

Right or wrong, I said yes and enlisted that same day. I was assured that I could keep going to MEPS to take the airborne physical until I either passed or gave up (I was unaware at the time that my cold was the reason I was unable to pop my left ear). So fast forward a few weeks, and I finally passed. But the MEPS Guidance Counselor was unable to add the Option 40 to my contract at that time.

So for the past couple months I've been constantly harassing my recruiters about finding a way to get the Option 40 added. I don't ship out until August 12, so time is still on my side, but I know I also don't have forever to get this done. We finally filled out and submitted USAREC Form 1035, "REQUEST TO CHANGE ENLISTMENT OPTION," but I have no idea how likely that is to work. The recruiters all seemed pretty confident it would, but I'm sure that's what they want me think, even if they aren't so sure.

The form was submitted about two weeks ago, but I was told I most likely wouldn't hear anything about it until it was either fully approved or disapproved. Just looking for a little guidance here. Obviously I have to hang tight until I find out about that request, but if it is disapproved, I'm not sure what my next steps should be. If I have to prove myself at OSUT, so be it, but I understand that it is possible for some OSUT classes to not give out any RASP slots. I definitely want to avoid that situation, if it can be helped.

Thank you.
11B
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Re: Adding Option 40 and USAREC Form 1035

Post by PerryB »

The 1035 isn't required to change your reservation from option 3 to 40.If and when the training is available the meps Counselor can update your reservation. I do it as often as I can. The training may not be loaded yet because you're looking at a RASP class in FY 2015. Until DA loads the training you won't see it. It should loaded soon but I can't say exactly when.
Perryb
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Thank you, PerryB, your help is appreciated as always.

Not to have my hand held through this or anything, but just so to make sure I fully understand your and Ranger MadBSTRD's posts, my best course of action now would be to wait until the first or second week of March and then ask one of the recruiters at my station to call my Counselor about adding the Option 40?

Just for background, I should note that when I previously asked one of my recruiters to call MEPS about updating my contract with the Option 40, she told me something to the effect of, "don't worry about it, we have the First Sergeant working on your case." I assume they decided the 1035 was the best way to go.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

One of the things I like most about ArmyRanger.com is that we have members who understand many of the problems that arise, RPMCMURPHY, please add pull-ups to your workout and begin o memorize the Ranger Creed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Roger, Ranger Jim.

Upper body strength always has been and is still a shortcoming for me, as far as physical fitness goes. But picking up boxing, rock climbing, and time in the gym have helped immensely, I think. In August, before I started rock climbing, I probably would not have been able to complete a single proper form pull-up. Now I can do at least six in a row before I start feeling strained.

I already have the Ranger Creed memorized. Although, having spent years of my childhood in Sunday School memorizing scripture, I know that rote memorization means little by itself. Application to one's thoughts and actions in life is what matters.
11B
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rpmcmurphy wrote: I already have the Ranger Creed memorized. Although, having spent years of my childhood in Sunday School memorizing scripture, I know that rote memorization means little by itself. Application to one's thoughts and actions in life is what matters.
Now the tough part of the Ranger Creed. Start living your life by it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
75th RRA Life Member #867
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Roger, Ranger Jim!

PerryB and Ranger MadBSTRD,

So would checking the below link a few times a day, and calling my recruiter when I see that classes have been scheduled, be my best course of action at this point? I would just prefer not to miss out on a chance to snatch up an Option 40 because I asked one day too late or something similar. Thank you.

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/cour ... +1&phase=1
11B
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Call your recruiter and ask them to call the meps GC and see if they will check and try to update your reservation. If it is on the system it would take them less than 2 minutes to update a reservation.

PerryB
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Damn, you DEP's don't know how lucky you are to be on a website that has a former Ranger turned recruiter, current MEPS Guidance Counselor, and the HRC's 75th RR Liaison available to answer questions and set you straight. 99% of the kids trying to get an opt 40 only dream about this kind of access. Don't waste it, make sure you are doing everything you can to prepare for the day you get your shot.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Have you gotten your reservation updated yet?
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

Ranger goon175,

I hope I have not come across as unappreciative regarding all the information that has been provided to me by members of this forum. I understand, though perhaps not as fully as I should, that I am not entitled to having any of my questions answered, and that no one here has any obligation to bother answering them.

But at the same time, I feel my main purpose for being on this forum right now is to gather whatever information I can that will better my chances at making it to Battalion. I am fairly certain I have nothing substantial to contribute here and I am just as certain that no one here has any particular desire to be my friend. If I come across as callous at all, it's because I'm trying to stay in my place, not because I am ungrateful.
11B
rpmcmurphy
Embryo

Post by rpmcmurphy »

PerryB,

I believe I've now done everything I can do, given that I've already signed my enlistment contract and don't have much room left to negotiate.

As far as the 1035 goes, I still have heard nothing back about it one way or the other yet. The future soldier leader at my center told me he brought up my request for an Option 40 with the company commander at their last meeting with him, and seemed optimistic that would help.

I did walk into my recruiting center about two weeks ago and asked the future soldier leader if they could call the GC who wrote up my contract and see if he could add on the Option 40 yet. He said something along the lines of "yeah, let's try it" and then went to ask the assistant center commander. She said she had to call the center commander, who was out, about it, and I believe my request was shot down there. The future soldier leader later told me that they are "strongly discouraged" from contacting MEPS directly for that kind of thing, but that if it came down to it, he would make the call for me and take the heat himself. I do not know if he ever did as much.

As a last resort, a few days later, I found a business email address for the GC I had worked with on his business's website, I sent him an email asking for his help getting the Option 40, he told me to send my SSN to his more secure military email, and he told me he would try to help me out. I have yet to hear back from him.

So, in short, my reservation has still not been updated, unfortunately.
11B
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

rpmcmurphy wrote:Ranger goon175,

I hope I have not come across as unappreciative regarding all the information that has been provided to me by members of this forum. I understand, though perhaps not as fully as I should, that I am not entitled to having any of my questions answered, and that no one here has any obligation to bother answering them.

But at the same time, I feel my main purpose for being on this forum right now is to gather whatever information I can that will better my chances at making it to Battalion. I am fairly certain I have nothing substantial to contribute here and I am just as certain that no one here has any particular desire to be my friend. If I come across as callous at all, it's because I'm trying to stay in my place, not because I am ungrateful.
Dude no worries at all. I wasn't yelling at you or anything. I was just lamenting how awesome this resource is, and how lucky you guys are!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

What is happening with you?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70