Eligibility Question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
MolonLabe
Embryo

Eligibility Question

Post by MolonLabe »

Hello Rangers,

(I have already looked for keywords in the search bar and read the stickies that have been posted, this is kind of my last resort to get my question answered.) About four days ago I went into the Army recruiters office and talked to a recruiter about joining, I informed him I only wanted an 11x option 40. As he was giving me information, I knew what he was telling me was incorrect, so I subtly said, "I think if you pass RASP you will get a tan beret, and go to a battalion." Then after he let me know he didn't like people coming in and acting like they knew more than he did, he said (RASP in only a training program and you HAVE to go to Ranger School to serve in the Regiment or to go to a Battalion). I did not want to argue with him because he is the man getting me a contract, so I left it at that.

When I was 17 years old I worked at a retail store, a customer came in and left a gift card on the counter after a transaction. I held onto it until the end of my shift, and when I was leaving, I took it with me and bought something with some of it a few days later (worst mistake of my life, but I have learned more from it than anything). A few weeks later I was called in and asked about it, I told the truth about what happened, a police officer came, and I got charged with theft under $25. They then waited 8 months to prosecute me as an adult, but I got a lawyer and was never convicted of this charge. I was arrested (never cuffed, just walked out) and was charged with the crime, but I did a deferred prosecution and did not get convicted. I am now 20 years old and I have a speeding ticket (85 in a 65) and this theft charge (happened in Arizona). As crazy as this sounds I've never smoked/taken any drug in my entire life, and I can count how many times I've drank alcohol on two hands.

I understand this is a specific question about moral eligibility and it is tough to answer, but I spent an hour in the recruiters office, talked to many recruiters on the phone, and read through the forum for an answer and have nothing. All the recruiter told me was the only way I will know is if I join, and didn't help me at all. I also do not want to join, then when I pass Airborne or RASP be told I couldn't get a secret clearance so I will be sent worldwide. If anybody can please help me I would appreciate that very much. If you have any question please ask.

Thank you,
MolonLabe
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” - Mark Twain

"Find something you would die for and live for it." - (Unknown)
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Re: Eligibility Question

Post by PerryB »

One theft charge will not disqualify you for a clearance. If you pass the ASVAB, Physical, and get Airborne qualified you should be good to go. As of the past couple of weeks I haven't seen many option 40 with 11X.
I'd find a different recruiting station because the one you're dealing with is clueless.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

PerryB
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

PerryB wrote:One theft charge will not disqualify you for a clearance. If you pass the ASVAB, Physical, and get Airborne qualified you should be good to go. As of the past couple of weeks I haven't seen many option 40 with 11X.
I'd find a different recruiting station because the one you're dealing with is clueless.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

PerryB
PerryB,

Thank you for replying. As you stated, "One theft charge will not disqualify you for a clearance." At what point of the process will I know if I am able to get the clearance? Before I swear in? Before I am offered the option 40? I am open to another MOS as well, I would just prefer 11x. Medic would be great as well.

Thank you,
MolonLabe
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” - Mark Twain

PerryB

Post by PerryB »

After you secure yourreservation for Option 40 and before you swear in you'll be interviewed by the MEPS security interviewer, they will make the determenation if you're qualified for a clearance or not. The actual investigation takes places before you ship and possibly while you're in training. If everything checks out you'll get your clearance before you start RASP. The one theft charge you have will not stop you. Really unless you lie on your application or have shitty credit you will pass and get a clearance.
Le tme know when you are going to the meps to enlist and I'll email the ROC and try to help you get an option 40.

Perryb
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

PerryB,

Very simply said, I do not want to join the Army if I am not a Ranger, obviously if I fail RASP I will stay and make the best out of it. That being said, will I know 100% if I get the clearance before I swear in? I know you said the one theft will not stop me (I have a 85 in 65 speeding ticket also that I went to traffic school for), but if it does, will I know before It's to late to not join anymore?

Thank you,
MolonLabe

PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Look you will not know if you passed the clearnace until you're in the Army. We are not going to spend $$$ on someone that hasn't stepped foot on an Army base. I have said it more than once and this is the last time ONE THEFT AND ONE SPEEDING TICKET WILL NOT STOP YOU FROM GETTING A CLEARANCE. Don't lie on your application, have good credit ( no repos, no collections, no bad debt) and you'll be fine. You'll have a security interview at the meps before you swear in and if the security interviewer (SI) says you're good then you'll be good (again as long as the investigation doesn't turn up some shady shit). The SI is not going to approve someone that is not going to make it.

Good Luck,
PerryB
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

John, You came to find answers. You got the answer. PerryB works for recruiting command. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Credit actually counts more than some BS petty larceny. If you have bad credit, it is assumed you are in debt. If you are in debt, you are vulnerable to taking bribes. That simple.

As has been said, you won't know until the 1SG at RASP calls you to the carpet and says, "about that clearance thing..."

If they like you, you may be kept at RASP holdover until the issue is resolved. That is a Long, long way down the road.

First things first. PT, and more of it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

MolonLabe wrote:PerryB,

Very simply said, I do not want to join the Army if I am not a Ranger, obviously if I fail RASP I will stay and make the best out of it. That being said, will I know 100% if I get the clearance before I swear in? I know you said the one theft will not stop me (I have a 85 in 65 speeding ticket also that I went to traffic school for), but if it does, will I know before It's to late to not join anymore?

Thank you,
MolonLabe
I think the right answer here would have been, "Holy shit, that's extremely helpful and kind of you PerryB. I can't thank you enough for that."

You come across as another one of the entitled generation where you expect to be handed the keys to the city before you even live there. One step at a time bud. These things are EARNED, not issued.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

I have just heard a lot of BS from a lot of different people, and I just wanted to be 100% sure before I got my hopes up. I'll just say what Cams said, "Holy shit, that's extremely helpful and kind of you PerryB. I can't thank you enough for that." I actually have really good credit, so I hope that will help me out a little. :lol:
cams wrote: You come across as another one of the entitled generation where you expect to be handed the keys to the city before you even live there. One step at a time bud. These things are EARNED, not issued.

Ranger Cams, I've read a lot of your posts and respect everything you have to say, I do not want the easy way, I just want want to be sure since I have been told so many things.

Thank you PerryB for everything you have told me, your information is invaluable and appreciate it all.

I'll stay quite and PT for awhile now.

MolonLabe

MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

Roger Ranger Jim, thank you, there are many valuable people on here with invaluable information.

Ranger Sleepy Doc, hopefully I will never have to hear the words, "about that clearance thing..." from anybody. I have great credit and a BS petty larceny, so that's the good news. Time to PT.

I just wanted to address everyone who replied to me, thank you for your insight.

MolonLabe

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you talked to a recruiter yet? What progress are you making to enlist? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

Roger Ranger Jim, I went a week ago and was going to start signing some papers. I told the recruiter I didn't want to enlist right away and wanted to get my PT scores were I want them before I go and he didn't let me because he didn't want to "keep track of me". I am going to go to another recruiting office soon (I live far from them) to schedule a time to take my ASVAB.

MolonLabe

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

It has been more than two months since your last post. How are you progressing on your enlistment? Please post the results of a self-administered PT test within the next 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

Ranger Jim,

Sorry for not replying, I did not see you sent me a message, I have been really busy finishing up this semester in college and work. My PT test is at about 85 push ups (in 2 min), 95 sit ups (in 2 min), 10 chin ups, and 1 1/2 mile in 11:00. I am now out of school and I have set a goal to reach for my PT. I have a lot to work to do and I plan to go in to get a contract in October or November.

MolonLabe

Return to “Recruitment Process”