How long can the DEP actually "delay"? (College)

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Coltrain
Future Soldier / Opt40

How long can the DEP actually "delay"? (College)

Post by Coltrain »

Rangers, I am currently in my second to last semester of college, and I plan to enlist when I am complete. The Army website states that the DEP can delay a ship out date for 365 days. But when I asked a recruiter about this he said the DEP could "possibly" delay entry for a few months to accommodate for the completion of a single semester. This has kept me from signing up. I want to go to MEPS to get my 11x opt 40 as soon as possible so I do not have to wait a longer amount of time. Is the recruiter correct about only a one semester delay for college students or is he pulling my leg? Thank you Rangers.

P.S. Some older posts (<2007) mentioned enlistees getting DEP in college eight months before ship out. I am not sure if it has changed.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140811

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Re: How long can the DEP actually "delay"? (College)

Post by PerryB »

If your in college they can delay your shipping until the semester ends. Generally you'll ship anywhere from 2 weeks to a month after the semester ends. So assuming you'll finish in the spring of 2014 you could expect to ship between May and June 2014. Generally speaking if you have a degree the Army will do whatever it takes to square you away. If you are planning to enlist into the dep now you'll need a enrollment letter from your college showing you're enrolled and when you are expected to graduate.

Perry
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Another advantage to the DEP is that the time spent in DEP counts for pay purposes.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Coltrain
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Coltrain »

Sergeant PerryB, you were correct of course, I got an enrollment verification letter and finally got the ball rolling on my enlistment. I scored well on the ASVAB and then reserved a 11x op. 40 on Monday with a 20140811 ship date. I just have to pass my physical this Monday at MEPS and I will be good to go.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140811

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Coltrain wrote:Sergeant PerryB, you were correct of course, I got an enrollment verification letter and finally got the ball rolling on my enlistment. I scored well on the ASVAB and then reserved a 11x op. 40 on Monday with a 20140811 ship date. I just have to pass my physical this Monday at MEPS and I will be good to go.
Excellent! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”