Somebody help me DQ'd??

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Braxton
Ranger

Somebody help me DQ'd??

Post by Braxton »

I have been going through the enlistment process for atleast a month now, I've gotten all my medical documents (I had a hernia, ear tubes I think, and asthma) I took my asvab, scored a 66. 110 gt and 128 co. So I qualified for option 40. My recruiter submitted all my information last week and said he would hear something back this week, well I called him Monday and he said I will just have to wait for a call. This morning I got a call from another recruiter up there NOT my recruiter asking if they had contacted me this week. I answered yes I talked to my recruiter Monday and was told to wait for a call. He proceeded to tell me something about me being disqualified, he said he didn't know how I was disqualified but they will be submitting a MEPS waiver ? And It's now in the hands of the Army and "to cross my fingers and toes". Is there hope ? What is the MEPS waiver ? This is ALL I want to do and now I might not be able to. Thanks for the help in advance. This will probably be my only post since I prefer to do my own research rather than have people answer it for me. I just needed a specific answer this time on something I know nothing about and never thought would happen.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Somebody help me DQ'd??

Post by Jim »

Did you use the search feature I explained earlier? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Braxton
Ranger

Post by Braxton »

Jim wrote:Did you use the search feature I explained earlier? Never, never quit!
I searched for "hernia" and "MEPS waiver" Ranger Jim, did not find the answers. Although a 2 year old post from "xNickx" mentioned he had to wait for a waiver for the hernia he had when he was 14. Hopefully that's all I will have to wait for and it will be ok since mine was over 5 years ago. I will call my recruiter tomorrow and get a SITREP. I got sick to my stomach when I got that phone call. Hearing that word "disqualified" was unexpected and gut wrenching. I will never quit, I've heard of people getting waivers for worse so I am going to stay positive.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

You do not provide a lot of info...from everything you provided the most troubling is the Asthma.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Braxton
Ranger

Post by Braxton »

Silverback wrote:You do not provide a lot of info...from everything you provided the most troubling is the Asthma.

I don't exactly have a lot of information myself Ranger Silverback. My recruiter told me I would just have to get tested for asthma again. It was not that bad of asthma when I was a kid so I feel it should not be a problem. And when I get tested again I should show negative for asthma.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

ZoneIV wrote:Braxton,

A kid can grow out of asthma. One simply quitting the use of an inhaler however does not mean you are free and clear unless it is documented in a physician's record.
If it is after the 13th Birthday it is a non-start
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Braxton
Ranger

Post by Braxton »

A kid can grow out of asthma. One simply quitting the use of an inhaler however does not mean you are free and clear unless it is documented in a physician's records.

That said however, there are very good reasons that there are health standards in place to be a US Army Ranger. While you may have absolutely no problems on a day to day basis as a civilian with your asthma, you simply do not know what environments you may be thrown into as an Army Ranger that could cause the asthma to rear its ugly head. Taking a close look at asthma is just as much for the your safety as well as the soldiers in your unit. Get tested again and that will either clear you to move on or a definite roadblock to your becoming an Army Ranger.
Understood Ranger ZoneIV, I never actually used the inhaler or medicine and this was around age 4.
Silverback wrote:

A kid can grow out of asthma. One simply quitting the use of an inhaler however does not mean you are free and clear unless it is documented in a physician's record.
If it is after the 13th Birthday it is a non-start
it was around age 4 Ranger Silverback, could you elaborate on non-start.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Dead from the beginning, not gonna fuckin' happen....to answer your question to Ranger Silverback.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

If you end up getting a medical waiver you will not qualify for an Option 40 contract. If your med waiver is approved you can still serve your country just not initially as a member of the 75th. This week is an extremely busy week for USAREC so don't grip you'll get an answer when the time is right. You had 3 different medical issues and each one will need to be addressed.

Perryb
Braxton
Ranger

Post by Braxton »

PerryB wrote:If you end up getting a medical waiver you will not qualify for an Option 40 contract. If your med waiver is approved you can still serve your country just not initially as a member of the 75th. This week is an extremely busy week for USAREC so don't grip you'll get an answer when the time is right. You had 3 different medical issues and each one will need to be addressed.

Perryb
Thank you Perryb. Even if I don't get option 40 in my contract does that also mean I couldn't go to RASP down the line ?
Slowpoke wrote:Dead from the beginning, not gonna fuckin' happen....to answer your question to Ranger Silverback.
thanks Ranger Slowpoke. It was way before 13 so I should be in the clear.
Braxton
Ranger

Post by Braxton »

SITREP. Called my recruiter today when I was on a break at work. He said nothing got submitted Friday. And the application got sent out today. No I just have to hurry up and wait. I asked him what he thought the biggest issue was, and he said it was the asthma. I asked him to give me his opinion on if I will be a go or not and he said he doesn't want to tell me something and be wrong. I told him I understand and he told me to wait for a call. I hope I will still eligible for option 40.
Braxton
Ranger

Post by Braxton »

ZoneIV wrote:Your recruiter is not a physician. It would have been foolish of him to give you any odds.
I realize that Ranger ZoneIV. He said "I'm not a doctor". But I'm sure he has seen people go through this same situation many times. I only asked his opinion.
Braxton
Ranger

Post by Braxton »

SITREP. Got a call today. Recruiter told me there was a mix up at MEPS. They thought we were waiting for a waiver approval. But we were actually waiting for approval for me to take a physical ! He said once I get the physical done IF I need a waiver still then we will do that. That's a lot better than being disqualified. Il get that physical done Monday then update on here.

Return to “Recruitment Process”