Sitrep

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sitrep

Post by Jim »

Over the years, when I saw an Ordinance officer with a Tab they had been detailed Infantry or some other combat arm.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Congratulations on your selection for Active Duty. This year was strange because the branching model had been completely changed from previous years. You are fortunate and should make the most of your opportunity. In the near future the force structure will shift and place over 50% of the force under the
Reserve component.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Thank you Ranger Silverback. I believe it was redone as a method to try to ensure that all Cadets receive their first 3 branch choices and to give individual school PMSs some increased control of a Cadet's accession score. However I have heard of several cases of this not happening among other issues (cadets who should be DMG getting 7th or 8th choice).

I am very thankful for this opportunity in front of me. I absolutely cannot wait to get started post-commissioning. I would still like to try and transfer into infantry but I know that there will be great opportunities put in front of me regardless. Of course I have to say thanks to members of this website as well as many of you have helped remain focused on the 25 meter target and never give up, despite setbacks. I am sure I will turn to this site multiple times in the future to help me be the best Officer I can.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote:
Listen to your PSG...but make your own decisions.

Get to know your men like they were family...but don't coddle them. Learn their names fast, schedule a one-on-one with each man as you can. You may find skillsets you never knew you had access to and leadership potentials as well.

Admit when you're wrong in front of your people. Being wrong isn't a weakness it's part of your learning process. Your men will respect you and trust you more if you show humility and a willingness to improve and learn. Doing this will also allow your subordinate leaders to feel they can make mistakes and learn from them as well.

Write your Squad Leaders NCOER's with your PSG's input, don't let anyone tell you the SL's work for the PSG. The SL's report to you in the fight not the PSG. Write your PSG's NCOER with advice from your CO (and hopefully the 1SG will throw in his two-bits as well).

There's no such thing as "NCO Buisness" it's PLATOON Buisness and you must be aware of what's going on. Let your NCO's handle it at the lowest levels, but be aware of it.

Good luck and welcome to the hardest and most rewarding job you'll ever have.
I think that every new LT ought to read this, by one of our own, RangerTough, and think a lot about what it says. I also think that if you have the opportunity to become a Platoon Leader, you should leap at the chance.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Rangers,

Been several months since my last update, but I am happy to say that I have commissioned in the US Army! I am very excited to have completed my degree in something not so interesting and very ready to start my career in the Army. I will be attending Ordnance BOLC July to November. I am currently assigned to go to the 82nd Sust BDE at Fort Bragg in December.

My main priorities at this point is to receive a Ranger School slot at OBC and attend Airborne School before reporting to my unit as well. My current info from the OBOLC website is that only 2 slots to Ranger School are offered per class so I know I have my work cut out for me between now and then.

Thank you for all the advice/guidance so far.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

A few OD officers will get RS in OBC. Do well in PT and impress your Branch Manager. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Recruitment Process”