Option 40 Contract question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Option 40 Contract question

Post by PerryB »

I am a Army Guidance Counselor at the one of the Meps in texas. I always try and square away my applicants. I am not about slamming anyone into the Army. My question is if I have a young man that wants to enlist with option 40 and only support mos's are open for option 40 contracts is it better to enlist a future ranger into say 12Y or 92G w/ option 40 or have them go 11X without a option 40 and try to volunteer for RASP at OSUT? Thanks I just want to do right by these young men that are dedicated to serve their country.

Perry
goon175
Ranger

Re: Option 40 Contract question

Post by goon175 »

Whatever MOS they enlist for is what they will do in Regiment (should they make it). The advice that I give is that if you want to be an 11B/C in Regiment, then enlist for that. If, in my personal opinion I think they will make a good Ranger, I will do anything in my power to get them an opt. 40 in there contract. If I cannot, I tell them I will have it to them before they ship, as you well know the average FS waits 6-8 months to ship right now. If I am not a shitbag recruiter I will hold true on my promise. IF I cannot for whatever reason get it to them before they ship, then I make sure that the right people have there name so that it is just not luck of the draw when they are in OSUT/BCT/AIT. In my opinion, taking a kid who wants to shoot people in the face as a Ranger, and telling him a 92Y w/ opt. 40 "is basically the same thing" is more criminal than telling a guy hey, take 11x and I will stay on top of it for you. Regiment is unique in the fact that we are one of the only units out there that puts our support soldiers through the same selection process as the "shooters/operators/ninjas" or whatever, which in my opinion gives us the best lot of support soldiers in the U.S. Army. BUT, they are still support soldiers. There MOS does not change when they get to Regiment. And, as many think, it is not all about "getting your foot in the door" as some G.C.'s out there have tried to tell me (people not from Regiment telling me how it works pisses me off to no end), as once you make it through RASP as a support soldier, they will be VERY reluctant (not impossible however) to let you reclass to 11B, as they have plenty of them, and it is very hard to find support soldiers that are motivated enough to make it through RASP, so they need to hold on to the ones they have.

PerryB, I hope this satisfies your question. Great to have you on the board, as I am sure you will be able to answer some of the technical scenarios we get on this board!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Re: Option 40 Contract question

Post by PerryB »

goon175, man thanks for the response. It answered a lot of my questions. You know what is crazy is that my son who is about week 12 of 11X OSUT told there are privates in his company that #1 didn't know they had a option 40 contract and had no idea what it means. #2 some privates with option 40 can not even bust a 200 on the APFT. I can't see how a GC would pull a option 40 for a kid and not explain what it means. I have always stressed how difficult it is, stressed getting in shape, memorizing the Ranger Creed, and now that I kow about this site it will be shared with everyone I enlist in to option 40. I also give the option 40 deps the 12 week work out plan from the RASP website. Thanks for all you do to help out these young men. I look forward to helping out when I can.

Perry

Return to “Recruitment Process”