Prior Service hypothetical

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
DWDriveOn
US Army

Prior Service hypothetical

Post by DWDriveOn »

MSG hit_it, or anyone else that has the answer,

Wasn't sure if I fell into the category that could PM you MSG hit_it. I'm sure this question has come up before, but in the deep dark depths of this board, I couldn't find it, perhaps no one has had the unique circumstance such as myself.

Hypothetically speaking, (even though I hate dealing with hypothetical questions), In Dec of this year I plan to scan my options for reclassing. If 11B shows up, I will take it (crossing fingers). Now, because I will be prior service injected per-se into a OSUT class, can I still get a contract from 75th to attend Airborne then RASP (or visa versa)? Or would I need to complete OSUT (as a reclass), then go to a duty station, THEN contact the recruiters at 75th?

If this has been answered before my bad, and I'll knock out 50. Regardless, thanks for reading.
"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Prior Service hypothetical

Post by hit_it »

You should be able to amend you contract in OSUT, as any other Soldier could. However you should not be able to get the contract oming back in.

My opinion, especially given today's recruiting market, is that you may have trouble coming in anyway so ask what you want and if you can get it then it's a plus.

Good Luck.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

DW, you are currently on active duty, I'm not sure that 'prior service' rules apply to you, that's for those with a break in service, You are in an entirely different rubric.
Best to speak with a retention NCO, unless you are double checking one through this.

(check me on this, I am neither a recruiter, retention or anything else besides a nostalgic FOG!)
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

I talked to my Retention NCO yesterday, and pretty much asked him - "Hey is 11 open?" apparently only 11C is open right now. Granted I have 6 months till I re-up so the In/Out calls can change pretty easily by then. MSG hit_it, Ranger K.Ingraham was right, I am still on AD, with no breaks in service. I guess it's just a confusion of wording on my part, I should have said "Reclassing hypothetical.". It's really just a matter of re-upping.

This is what my Retention NCO said - "I can easily get you a contract to 75th cause they're looking for people, and Airborne even easier." - I have faith in my Retention NCO, he has been doing it since he was a SSG, and now he's a MSG. When you go to him for options, he asks you "What do you want." - and can almost guarantee getting whatever it is obviously MILPER permitting. I guess when you do it for a long time, you gain a lot of useful connections.

Anyway, now it's just a waiting game.

Thanks for the responses.
"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Use your time well. Get into better shape, learn the Creed, get up on your basic skills. Work the range details, Get a current Ranger handbook & learn oporders.
Look for tips in the PT & training forums here and elsewhere.
So long as you don't quit, it is doable.

The hardest part is making it once you're in Regiment.
As an "import" converted from a "soft skill", you'll have to be much better to be thought half as good, so be ready to "drink from a fire hose" to learn and master your new skills. 11 series aren't the only killers in the line platoons - consider 13F as well.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

Roger Ranger K.Ingraham, I got plenty of free time during this deployment to work out, while everyone else goes to the gym I just hit it hard in my living space, we got a pullup bar hung up in our "building", as well as plenty enough space for Pushups, Situps and nice hills on our FOB for running. When I'm not doing much else, I tend to spend my time reading FMs and the Ranger Handbook.

Our EO has spent extensive time in the SOF world, he is a crewchief so he spent most of his career in 160th, about the most high speed guy in our company, apart from a SGM who has done it all, his son just got into the big D. So I have a few other resources on ground that I use frequently, when I just need some advice or help.

I'm not a quitter, life is too short to quit at anything. Honestly, out of all the people I've met during my time in TRADOC, (basic & ait), over 15 have gone to RIP/RASP... 1 has made it. I already know why the rest failed, most of them quit and some got hurt. I see THAT as fraud waste and abuse. It's sad to see people try something only to give up cause "they didn't know what they were going into".

I will go into RASP with one mentality... Scroll or Cast. I've read a book called "Get Selected for Special Forces". And honestly, you can apply all the fundamentals to anything that you do. It all comes down to Self-Confidence, the moment you doubt yourself and your abilities, you lose the drive to complete the mission whatever it may be. Also people who think they performed badly will quit, when all they need to do is take a moment to think in retrospect, and see what happens later on down the road.

Once again, thank you Ranger K.Ingraham for the insight, I will continue to train, read and learn. December isn't too far off. However I have more than a year to prep for RASP. I'll be using it as wisely as I know how.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It sounds as if you have your ducks in a row. It only remains for you to go down the pipeline.
Now corny as it sounds: stay safe over there.
Keep us posted.

RS 9-76

DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

Roger Ranger K.Ingraham.

I have a few questions now for any Ranger on these boards. Regarding my career advancement.
My NCO is urging me to go to a promotion board, he has stated many times he wants me to be a NCO, and thinks I will do a great job. However, I have one issue. I will be reclassing to Combat Arms in a year or so, from a Support MOS, a VERY support MOS.

Going from Paralegal to either Infantry or Forward Observer, both at the tip of the spear. Now I have no combat experience whatsoever. I'm currently downrange, and granted, I haven't left the wire yet, and I may soon, but mostly by air, doubt I will be doing any RCPs or anything of that nature.

If I were to go to the Promotion board, Pin Sergeant, then go into a new MOS (combat arms), then go to Ranger Regiment... How filled will my plate be? I would be willing to bet, Ranger School would be right after RASP, at the very least. How much would every move get scrutinized? Is this going to stunt my career, or make it grow?

I have the utmost confidence in myself that I would be an outstanding leader. Should I just be reading as many ARs, FMs and TCs as I can? Has anyone ever taken this route before, that you know of?

I am open to as much input as you can all give me. Thank you Rangers.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Not to be a dick or anything, but an experienced 11B from the big army coming to regiment has his plate full. a paralegal from the big army switching over to take a team leader spot? I don't see that working out too well.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

So to give a little insight into what has happened since I have been downrange. I took all of the advice of the Rangers here and rejected going to the board here, not only due to the fact that I would lose my slot to 19D school but also because I didn't want to go to the Ranger Regiment as an inexperienced 11B Sergeant (if 11B even opened up when my reup window opens back up).

Fast forward a few weeks, I get some sort of random motivation and put it in my head I want to be a Corporal. I want to gain experience of being an NCO without sacraficing my slot to 19D. So to go to my NCOIC (also PLT SGT) and lay down my case of why I want to be a Corporal, knowing that the chance of it happening is extremely low. I am in the HHC of a Brigade and a support MOS, technically there is no need for a Corporal. However, I am in a SL2(E5) slot and I am the most experienced in my shop after my NCOIC. He says he will get back to me on it, but he likes my motivation.

Fast forward a few more weeks, the other NCO in our shop has to leave theater early, while my NCOIC is on Emergency Leave, so I take the reigns and keep the shop under control, considering I am doing an SFC's job, a SSG's job and my job - to say the least, I was overwhelmed but I got the mission done. My NCOIC gets back and tells me, hey you're probably gonna get what you want. He talks to our BDE CSM and he approves it, saying that I will be the first and probably only Corporal in this Brigade, and he wants me to be better than the Buck Sergeants. So in my head I am like hell yea! No more pay, but plenty of responsibility and a chance to get some experience.

Fast forward to today... I will be getting my Corporal probably sometime in the next couple weeks, tops (pending the Birdman's approval). Well I am sitting at my desk today and get an e-mail. "Your school has been cancelled" or words to that effect. All that goes through my head is "OH SHIT!", so I run up to my C.C. and he is like alright, too easy. What happened is I am stationed OCONUS (GM), and when I return from theater (AFG), I have stabilization for a certain period of time - my school date is during that period of time. Therefore, they cancelled my school. So he explains I can get another school date for that same MOS if I waive stabilization almost 95% chance... or, I don't waive stabilization and probably will not be able to get another school date. Leaving me with the option to pick any other job that is BALANCED or UNDERSTRENGTH!

At this point my eyes light up like it's christmas and I just found out I got a brand new Ferrari or something. So I say, alright - how about 11B? He goes, HAH - too easy. I go, and Airborne? -- He goes, probably not airborne. -- Ranger? -- He types a few letters in and whaddya know -- there is a Ranger shortage. HELL YEAH! Then he warns me, you know you will go to 75th right? I go, yeah that's where I want to go. -- He warns me again, you're sure? -- Yep! -- Alright, we can probably do this, I got you.

I now I feel like I actually woke up and got the Ferrari. There is a pretty good chance right now that I will be able to reclass in January for 11B with a supplimentary order to RASP. I am so unbelievably exstatic right now, overwhelmed with joy. I will keep you all posted, everything happens for a reason I always say - finally some good came out of something that looked bad.

Out. :D
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Awesome! work hard and don't waste that slot. your on deployment so you should have no outside distractions besides your job and preparing for what's to come.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
DWDriveOn
US Army

Post by DWDriveOn »

Thanks Ranger goon175,

I have learned the hard way not to put all my eggs in one basket. Things have changed so much for Career Counselors. The next time I can re-up is March 2012 and I have to choose between 11B/13F, leaning towards 11B though. He can no longer guarantee me orders to RASP so I have been e-mailing one of the NCOs at Regimental Recruiting. Obviously he has said I can apply as a Paralegal - but I don't want to do this job anymore.

I am trying to figure out (anyone feel free to chime in), whether you can still talk to your Drill Sergeants in OSUT/AIT and put a bug in their ear about how much you want to go to RASP. I am going to have to take a shot in the dark and choose either 11B or 13F and just suck it up - worst case scenario I get assigned somewhere else then drop my RASP 1 packet.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-DW
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drink Water, Drive On.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I know Regiment needs 13F's, picking that MOS might put the odds in your favor. And I also know from what I have read that for someone in the service who is re-enlisting for RASP, that they re-enlist for station of choice (taking one of the stations that has a Ranger Batt.) and then the Regiment gets your orders for RASP prior to you PCS'ing, and if you don't make it you still obviously PCS to that station.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Recruitment Process”