help me find if my recruiter is full of crap!

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
M82a1snake
Embryo

help me find if my recruiter is full of crap!

Post by M82a1snake »

Rangers, yes its me again I know I'm supposed to post less read more which I have. I really need a ranger opinion on this matter. MY recruiter Staff Sergeant EDB an 18 year veteran of Army keeps telling me to sign a plain old 11x contract because there is alot of 11x coming up currently on the system but no option 40 11x. (or 11x or 13f option 40's) plenty of cook option 40's and such. He had the Nerve to tell me about how all you guys on the forum here aren't real rangers and imposers guiding me in a "false direction" and said if any of them even knew how it really is, they would say how easy it is to gain airborne after ait or OSUT and how easy it is if you have great p.t. marks to get an invitation by the recruiting rangers that come to ait and or airborne and give a seminar and then can go to r.a.s.p. 1 & 2. He said no one knows his job better than him. So I asked his permission to give you guys his number and email to contact him and let me know or him know as how hard or "easy" it is to get a slot to go rasp or airborne out of Osut. Any input greatly appreciated. p.s. please don't get mad that I posted again I really don't want to loose any privileges on this forum. thanks ahead of time!
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
George S. Patton
P.T.
PU:76 (PROPER FORM)
SU:79
2MILE 13:31
4MILE 31:09
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: help me find if my recruiter is full of crap!

Post by K.Ingraham »

I won't repeat what the current, active recruiters active on this site right now have been posting in the last month or so.
Your recruiter isn't entirely wrong, he is simply placing an incredibly positive spin on things. Regiment is sourcing the majority of volunteers from the top prospects in OSUT/AIT. 11X/opt40 is doable, but slots are fewer and fleeting. Your recruiter has to make frequent checks. If he doesn't want to, then either find one who will or make an honest self-assesment and decide if you are willing to trade four years of your life for the opportunity to excel and the risk that you won't.

Don't lock on just being a prime mover for an M-4 carbine. Consider the other skills being offered (well, maybe not cook... :P ). Commo is critical, the mission is impossible without it. A good intel analyst will kill more bad guys than dozens of riflemen. The medic learns skills useful in real life while the 11B will be interesting to listen to for a few minutes. The medic has the most difficult route to Regiment plus he gets to fight on the objective with the riflemen - after all, he can't treat the wounded unless he can stand in the same place that got the 11B shot or blown up, and then he must think cooly and logicaly under extreme pressure and apply his training. There is nothing more prestigious than to be a respected medic.

Looky here:
https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75t ... uiting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to the lengthy list of enlisted MOS codes employed by the Regiment. Figure out what they are & broaden your search. If you really want to be 11B/13F, that is excellent, be the pointy tip of the spear and live the life to the fullest, just be aware they aren't the only ones in the line platoon or company.
Whichever job you try out for, you will have to have the top PT and academic scores.
The first step in the selection process is for you to make an informed decision.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on July 5th, 2011, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

K.Ingraham wrote:I won't repeat what the current, active recruiters active on this site right now have been posting in the last month or so.
Your recruiter isn't entirely wrong, he is simply placing an incredibly positive spin on things. Regiment is sourcing the majority of volunteers from the top prospects in OSUT/AIT. 11X/opt40 is doable, but slots are fewer and fleeting. Your recruiter has to make frequent checks. If he doesn't want to, then either find one who will or make an honest self-assesment and decide if you are willing to trade four years of your life for the opportunity to excel and the risk that you won't.

Don't lock on just being a prime mover for an M-4 carbine. Consider the other skills being offered (well, maybe not cook... :P ). Commo is critical, the mission is impossible without it. A good intel analyst will kill more bad guys than dozens of Rangers. The medic learns skills useful in real life while the 11B will be interesting to listen to for a few minutes. The medic has the most difficult route to Regiment plus he gets to fight on the objective with the riflemen - after all, he can't treat the wounded unless he can stand in the same place that got the 11B shot or blown up, and then he must think cooly and logicaly under extreme pressure and apply his training. There is nothing more prestigious than to be a respected medic.

Looky here:
https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75t ... uiting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to the lengthy list of enlisted MOS codes employed by the Regiment. Figure out what they are & broaden your search. If you really want to be 11B/13F, that is excellent, be the pointy tip of the spear and live the life to the fullest, just be aware they aren't the only ones in the line platoon or company.
Whichever job you try out for, you will have to have the top PT and academic scores.
The first step in the selection process is for you to make an informed decision.
This is the most professional, informational, and quality post you will ever read on this forum.

Heed Ranger Ingraham's advice.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

In the past I have spoken with members of the Ranger Recruiting Detachment. I can assure you that the advice you got from Ranger K.ingraham is right on target. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

While you are at it why don't you take the guys name off your post.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Baseplate wrote:While you are at it why don't you take the guys name off your post.
Good point Baseplate.

Remember your place here young man. Your recruiter is a professional NCO who is making his own decisions about how best to accomplish HIS mission - which is to get you into the Army. There are no Rangers here who will reproach him on the say-so or on behalf of some kid from the internet.

Welcome to adult life. You're about to make the first of many potentially life-altering decisions. You have to weigh the evidence that you have before you, assess the sources and make a rational decision without enough guidance and then accept the risks inherent in the course you choose. Hmm, I think I just summed up real life. Cool. and here I am, just taking a break from work. :D
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I took the OPSEC liberty. His recruiter's identity has been obscured.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

This is what I miss when I'm out doing night training? You guys have all the fun.

Great advice all.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

It is really easy to get the Ranger contract during basic/osut these days, as long as your not a complete shit head. that being said, recruiters these days have about a 24-48 hour window each month to snag opt. 40's. Most (98%) recruiters don't know this, and if they are not looking for jobs for someone who qualifies for an opt. 40 during that window, they would never know they are there. Because I specifically target individuals who I think would make good Rangers, I am constantly checking for that contract to be available. For the average recruiter out there, he probably only gets a 1-2 people every year who both qualify for and want that elusive 11x opt. 40 contract, so he naturally won't be as knowleadgable on the availability. As Ranger Ingraham stated, there primary purpose is to get you in the army, and if he is like 75% of recruiters out there, doesn't care what job you get as long as you join. Take care of yourself and make sure you are getting a contract that you are comfortable with (and that you have thoroughly researched, not just watched a 90 sec youtube video on), and don't knock the guy for trying to do his job (unless he's being a shithead about it).
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Ranger Goon175 is this 24-48 hr window the same each month and would it be possible to know when this window is? I finally heard back about my waiver for dependents and it was granted so I am off to MEPS next Tuesday morning to choose my job (looking for 68W) and sign the contract. I am trying to at least get airborne but really looking for the opt 40.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

no man, its one of those things that has to just be looked out for. there were 68W on the system today though, no airborne option though.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Recruitment Process”