Medical Waiver Question

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
symapthy4thedevildog
USMC Veteran

Medical Waiver Question

Post by symapthy4thedevildog »

My brother is trying to enlist in the MO National Guard, and he's hit a road block. About 7 years ago, he had surgery to remove like 10" of his colon, they called it a "Diverticulytis" (sic, Im sure). It in no way affects anything physically with him. He's submitted all this paperwork and other stuff through MEPS to the NGB, gotten nowhere, his waiver won't be approved. He even has doctor letters, from the Chief Surgeon at Golden Valley Mem. Hosp. saying "He's fully qualified for military service, and if someone says he isn't, I'd like to talk with them". Anyway, he's been trying for almost a year to enlist, was even offered a full time Guard job (he's an ASE and GM Master Technician) and still can't get anywhere. Haha, he even called his congressman (that was his recruiters advice!!!). Its pretty frustrating, my brother wants to serve, he's a kick ass mechanic and any military service could use that expertise, but I personally think its just not going to happen. I figured I would ask on this forum, seems to be a lot of Rangers and others that have experience with a LOT of stuff...any advice appreciated, thanks!!
CJ Walden
USMC 00-05 (0481)
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Medical Waiver Question

Post by hit_it »

The Army doesn't give a shit if some "doctor" would like to speak with them concerning the qualification of a certain individual to enlist. His opinion has no bearing on whether or not the Army is willing to accept him as fit for service. The idea that he would be able to sway the Army into changing it's enlistment standard by phone is laughable.

Saying that, I don't know if the surgery your brother had is a waiverable operation or not. AR 40-501 will let us know for sure.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
symapthy4thedevildog
USMC Veteran

Re: Medical Waiver Question

Post by symapthy4thedevildog »

I told him as much. Getting politicians involved and stuff like that, only going to piss people off. Thanks for the Army Regulation, Ranger MSG Hit_it, I'll pass it on to my brother, see if he can dig anything up.
CJ Walden
USMC 00-05 (0481)

Return to “Recruitment Process”