opt 11x airborne opt 40 With med waiver

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
kp25
Embryo

opt 11x airborne opt 40 With med waiver

Post by kp25 »

I was offered the above contract even with my medical waiver. I had two pretty serious knee surgeries. I was approved to forgo the airborne physical at meps and given an opportunity in the army most said would not happen.

Just letting anybody know who had medical issues that one should never give up on their dreams.

Thank you to all the Rangers who had given their time to provide feedback for me through this process.

Kp25
11x opt 40
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: opt 11x airborne opt 40 With med waiver

Post by hit_it »

kp25 wrote:I was offered the above contract even with my medical waiver. I had two pretty serious knee surgeries. I was approved to forgo the airborne physical at meps and given an opportunity in the army most said would not happen.

Just letting anybody know who had medical issues that one should never give up on their dreams.

Thank you to all the Rangers who had given their time to provide feedback for me through this process.

Kp25
Explain the bolded part and congrats on your contract. What kind of surgery did you have?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
kp25
Embryo

Post by kp25 »

At meps initially I was denied to even tale the airborne physical because of 2x knee surgeries involving the same injury.

My recruiter applied for another waiver for me not to have to take the airborne physical at meps. I believe I have to take it after basic.

I had two chondroplasties done in 2007/2008. Orthoscopic procedure where they drill holes in you femur to help regrow torn cartilage. I have grade IV chondromalcia from the injury. I have minimal pain from it as I have rehabilitated extensively. I do long rucks, 12k runs, squat heavy with no pain.

Thanks

Kp25
11x opt 40
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I have never heard this.

Are you 100% sure you have a waiver to take the ABN physical AFTER you ship?

Do you have the reservation sheet of your contract?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
kp25
Embryo

Post by kp25 »

The contract states.
11x option:40
Title:US Army airborne ranger

Does that sound alright?

Thank you for yor concern, please keep me informed.

Kp25
11x opt 40
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I have never heard of this either. I really have no idea what kind of drug deal your recruiter worked out to get you this. Good for you though, although the life you are going to lead is not exactly easy on the knees
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
kp25
Embryo

Post by kp25 »

Thank you Ranger goon175,

I am aware that this is not going to be easy. I have spent an abundance of time beating my knee up climbing mountains, running up to 12 k in the soft sand, hard concrete etc just seeing if it will break and it hasn't. It does get a bit achey now and again, but I am still able to perform. Granted I am aware nothing I do in the civilian world compares to what is in store for me. But I feel confident that something else on my body will probably break before my knee does again.

I was playing football in Buffalo when my knee exploded. They told me my football career was over. I am 27 years old, I have been actively trying to get into the military for the past 2 years since I finished college. The Army is the only branch that would have me due to this medical issue. It has been a long haul and yet, my recruiter did some Gandolph wizardry to get me in I believe.

Thank you

kp25
11x opt 40
kp25
Embryo

Post by kp25 »

Ranger ZoneIV,

First of thank you for your concern. Yes it does say that I have to pass the airborne physical once I'm in basic. What I have been told from sources within the Army, outside of my recruiter is that waivers are much more common once in the Army.

Please let me know what you make of that concept when you have a free moment.

Thank you

Kp25
11x opt 40
kp25
Embryo

Post by kp25 »

Ranger ZoneIV,

I agree with you on all aspects. In hindsight, this is something I have been trying to do for a few years now and I jumped at the chance to get a tryout. I have learned in my. 27 years is that when something sounds too good to be true,it usually is. I really appreciate you giving me some perspective on this. Im usually the cynical one too.

Seriously, many thanks Ranger ZoneIV

Kp 25
11x opt 40
kp25
Embryo

Post by kp25 »

Ranger ZoneIV,

Permission to pm you?

Kp25
11x opt 40
kp25