Recruitment Process thus far.

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Gilbot
Future Soldier

Recruitment Process thus far.

Post by Gilbot »

Hello Rangers,
I am essentially just beginning my recruitment process, and I am just making sure that everything has gone to, and is going to plan, so I will do my best to maintain a current standing whenever possible.
I just turned 17 last Wednesday, and the plan with my recruiter was to reserve a job on the following Thursday, and then go to MEPS that following week. However, after an appointment with my Physician, all our plans came to a screeching halt. The ear tube I had put in 7 months ago was still in my eardrum. With this, I could not reserve a job, nor go to MEPS, so it put a damper on all of my Recruiter and I's plans. I am contacting my ENT this week to see how the ear is healing, and if I can get it surgically removed at all. My only question is for any Ranger who has seen a recruit with ear tubes, and what their knowledge on them is, with the tube history and what not, would it be best for me to enlist 11x Opt.4, with my history, plus the rarity of the Opt. 40, or am I still in good contention for either contract?
Thank you, Rangers, for taking time out of all of your days to read through my post.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: Recruitment Process thus far.

Post by hit_it »

I honestly do not remember if you will need a waiver for this. I am under the impression you will, and it may hamper your chances, but I can't be sure in this case.

Hopefully, Goon175 will chime in with some advice for you to clarify.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Gilbot
Future Soldier

Post by Gilbot »

Thank you for your quick response, and providing some perspective, MSG hit_it.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I'm down at ALC right now so I can't really look at anything pertaining to waivers. But I can tell you that you will not be cleared to phys with any pending medical situation. Should you require surgery, you will have to wait 6 months from time of surgery to start the enlistment process
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Gilbot
Future Soldier

Post by Gilbot »

Thank you, Ranger goon175, for taking time out of your schedule to provide as much information as you could. Rangers, as a quick sitrep, I have an appointment with my ENT this upcoming Thursday, and I will provide more in-depth information following the appointment.
Gilbot
Future Soldier

Post by Gilbot »

Rangers, I have fantastic news. My Ear tube has already fallen out. My doctor simply looked into my ear and told me that it was just sitting in my ear canal. Everything has healed up perfectly, even to the point of me not noticing it was gone. What this means is that I am going tomorrow to talk about some things with my recruiter, and hopefully reserve my job, and then heading to MEPS sometime next week to sign my contracts, contingent on me being qualified, and what I want being available.
Thank you very much for your time, Rangers, and I will provide another sitrep following the meeting with my recruiter.

Return to “Recruitment Process”