SITREP-Marcus

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Edge
Ranger

SITREP-Marcus

Post by Edge »

Rangers,

I met with a recruiter today and began the pre-enlistment process towards enlisting in the Army. I stated that I wanted an 11x Option 40 and a ship date after May 2012, when I'll graduate college. He asked me a few questions such as why I wanted to be a Ranger, and what being a Ranger means to me. Another recruiter(it was those 2 and just me in the room) asked me what I knew about RS and how I felt about taking care of the man to my left and my right because RS is about what you can do and what they can do. They asked if I had ever been injured during football and I told them about my arthroscopic knee surgery in Nov '09 and explained fully the circumstances regarding that. They looked at each other and said I shouldn't have much problem acquiring an 11x Option 40 and that he would call his 1SG on Monday to see if they could actually write up a contract 14 months out instead of the standard 12. 18X was brought up only briefly to see if I had ever considered it due to my education and the research I had already done on the Regiment, to which I responded I had actually considered 18X first and later on decided I wanted an Option 40. Never once did he push it or try and discourage me in any other way and seems very willing to help me get where I want to go. If I can offer some advice to those in a similar position to me before you walk through that door know what you want and why, be able to present to that to the recruiter, walk in there ready to handle business like a man and not a kid with visions of Rambo in your eyes. Recruiters seem much more willing to put in the work when they can see you present yourself in a mature fashion.

I haven't accomplished anything yet but the ball is rolling Rangers.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75
goon175
Ranger

Re: SITREP-Marcus

Post by goon175 »

Recruiters seem much more willing to put in the work when they can see you present yourself in a mature fashion.
Wise words.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Rangers,

I cant get the 14 month write up as its only for high school seniors. In the mean time I'm filling out the paperwork I have and doing PT until I enter the 12-month window in May. I'll keep you updated when I have something until then I'm just biding my time.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

B Co 3/75
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Quick Update Rangers,

I took the practice test with my recruiter and received an AFQT of 83 I hadn't seen some of that math since freshman year of high school so I'll brush up on that and should be in the 90s on the real thing which I'm taking next Wednesday provided this jury duty business doesn't kick in.

I do have a question about AR 40-501 however which I think specifically Ranger Goon175 or MSG hit_it can help with when they have time in their schedules.

d. Current orthodontic appliances for continued treatment (V53.4) do not meet the standard. Retainer appliances are
permissible, provided all active orthodontic treatment has been satisfactorily completed. Individuals undergoing orthodontic
care are acceptable for enlistment in the Delayed Entry Program only if a civilian or military orthodontist
provides documentation that active orthodontic treatment will be completed prior to being sworn into active duty.

I have a permanent retainer on both my front upper and lower teeth which I have had for almost 7 years. It's basically just a skinny metal wire glued to the back of my teeth. The question I have is does this meet the definition of "current" and if so what's the liability to the army? My teeth as of now get rave reviews each time I go to the dentist and I don't see an orthodontist anymore so will this be an obstacle to acquiring an Option 40?

I searched "permanent retainer" and came up with nothing I also did a quick Google but aside from the first hit the info was kind of dated I figured the most current information could be found here.

B Co 3/75
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

I know that the only stipulation with Braces was that they had to be off prior to shipping and you had to provide a note from your dentist stating he would remove them. In the case of a removable retainer, there is nothing required. Your case is slightly different in that there is hardware, but I have not come across something like this myself. I would think you need to have that hardware removed prior to shipping. Be prepared to do so. The recruiter you work with should be able to run that to ground for you.

I never had to get a waiver for braces, so I would not think you need one for this as well.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Roger that MSG thank you.

B Co 3/75
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Rangers,

I took the ASVAB today and scored a 92. My GT score was 125.

B Co 3/75
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Quick update Rangers,

I went to see my recruiter today about pulling an option 40, NO-GO. My recruiter called the ROC about a slot and was told they can't pull me one, right now, because of my timeline of not leaving until after I graduate from college in May 2012. The way the ROC explained it to him then he explained it to me was that because the option 40 applies to training after the initial training(OSUT) that it would actually take place in FY 2013. Therefore, they are not as of yet authorized to pull ANY extra training for that time period even getting a simple airborne option couldn't be done. In order to remedy this problem I have to contact my academic advisor at school and have him send a letter with my academic progress(the 3rd such one) but also my specific date of commencement not just the month as on previous renditions. My recruiter asked would I only take an 11x Option 40 to which I replied no that I would more than happily take 11x, 13F, or 68w which I think will make it easier to acquire option 40 but also because the more I think about it the more attractive those MOS's become but if all that was available was a support MOS I would just take an airborne option and volunteer at OSUT/ABN. All in all, slightly frustrating but nothing more than an obstacle this merely the first gate of the pipeline starting to cull the herd...eyes on prize.

B Co 3/75
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Rangers,

Today I am happy to say that I went to MEPS and signed an 11x Option 40 contract with a ship date 20120604. This is one of the best days of my life but I know the road ahead is long, hard, and worth it. The ball is officially in my court.

I knocked out 50+1 for the Big Ranger in the sky for making this possible before posting this SITREP.

B Co 3/75
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Well congratulations. Now go out and earn it, and to quote a few folks around here.... "NEVER QUIT!!"
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

RangerX wrote:Well congratulations. Now go out and earn it, and to quote a few folks around here.... "NEVER QUIT!!"
Roger that RangerX.

B Co 3/75
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Edgerusher71

Post by Steadfast »

Edgerusher71 wrote:Rangers,

Today I am happy to say that I went to MEPS and signed an 11x Option 40 contract with a ship date 20120604. This is one of the best days of my life but I know the road ahead is long, hard, and worth it. The ball is officially in my court.

I knocked out 50+1 for the Big Ranger in the sky for making this possible before posting this SITREP.
Edgerusher71, congrats on securing your Opt 40. I've upgraded your title and sent you a PM.

excerpt:
for the Big Ranger in the sky
We refer to": Great Ranger In The Sky or GRITS.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Edge
Ranger

Re: Edgerusher71

Post by Edge »

Steadfast wrote:
Edgerusher71 wrote:Rangers,

Edgerusher71, congrats on securing your Opt 40. I've upgraded your title and sent you a PM.

excerpt:
for the Big Ranger in the sky
We refer to": Great Ranger In The Sky or GRITS.
Roger that Ranger Steadfast and thank you for squaring me away on the terminology.

B Co 3/75
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Rangers,

I checked into the hotel today as I ship out to Ft. Benning tomorrow, 20120604. I have been on this site a long time and I would like to thank you all for your help and the work that is done on this website. I would like to personally thank Ranger Invictus for being a great mentor and preparing me for what lies ahead. I'll post SITREP's about my progress as I work toward becoming a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Thank you again.

B Co 3/75

Return to “Recruitment Process”