**UPDATE** USAREC Opt. 40 contracts (As Of 12/06/2018)

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
goon175
Ranger

**UPDATE** USAREC Opt. 40 contracts (As Of 12/06/2018)

Post by goon175 »

USAREC MSG 10-139
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
241600 May 2010 (EST) USAREC MESSAGE 10-139
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
To: All Recruiting Personnel

SUBJECT: Recruiting for U.S. Army Ranger 40 Option (Updated)

1. This is an immediate message; Deliver to all recruiting personnel
immediately.

2. This message is valid for 2 years from date of publication or until
rescinded or superseded.

3. The purpose of this message is to announce changes to the qualifications of
the Option 40, U.S. Army Ranger.

4. The following prerequisites/qualifications must be met:

a. AFQT Score of 50 with a 107 GT Score for all applicants (non-waiverable)
b. Must be a US Citizen (non-waiverable)
c. Must be able to obtain/maintain a SECRET Security Clearance
(non-waiverable)
d. No moral waivers (drug or criminal history)
e. Physical profile of 111221
f. PT Score of 240 or above (no less than 80 points in each event upon
completion of AIT)

5. Guidance Counselors will ensure all potential applicants for 40 Option are
aware of this message and the requirements to be a U.S. Army Ranger.

6. These requirement can be found on the G3 web page under Enlistment
Eligibility.
Processing Division, Recruiting Operation Branch, MOS Quick Reference Guide.

7. Point of contact for this message through your chain of command is EEPD, ROC
at 1-800-688-9203, Option 1.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Re: Current USAREC message on Opt. 40 contracts

Post by goon175 »

I would like to add that you can find out if you require a moral waiver in AR 601-210 to meet the requirement of "no moral waivers (drug or criminal history)".
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Also, AR 40-501 will answer any questions you have on the myriad of medical issues that are presented in these forums. Both AR 40-501 and AR 601-210 can be found on Google.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Good info Goon! This will help kill a lot of "double tap" questions.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I'm gunna sticky this so it stays up top.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Thanks for posting this.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

As some of you are seeing on some of the DEP's posts, there were some (75) opt. 40 contracts put on the system yesterday. They will go quick. if you are a senior that graduates after june 6th, you wont be able to get it. I suggest any of you who are wanting this and are qualified as per the above message, move quickly. For those of you who get one of these, don't waste it. I have 4 guys I am mentoring right now who can't get it, so please take this option seriously.

RLTW!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

There were 111 11x Opt. 40's on the system yesterday. I believe they were coded for high school graduates though. Hope this helps for those of you looking.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Dan24
USMC Veteran

Post by Dan24 »

Rangers,
I've taken to cold calling area recruiters in an effort to see if any of them will be honest with me in regards to the information that is being posted on this site. In all instances the answer has been "no you cannot get Option 40 as prior service". Would it be better to schedule an appointment and then ask? I looked up "prior service" in the dictionary and it was next to "dirty whore". From previous posts those who were successful had their best luck at MEPS. If the recruiters are telling me flat out "no" how am i supposed to finagle my way to MEPS? The only way I can think of is lying, i.e. telling them I will take a certain contract and then telling the monitor I will only take Option 40. Thoughts?
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

The recruiters are probably telling you the truth. 'PS' takes up a service slot, which are finite. Non PS gets the army a certain number of bucks under the assumption that the recruit must be trained. PS has already been trained. Maybe not in something the army can use but for the big picture government-wise, you're already trained. What the service doesn't use in each budget year they dont get next year. You take a slot, the army gets no bucks for it. From the macro perspective, you are a drain so the army doesn't want you.

Now, option 40s are rare and getting more so. Most kids using that option don't keep it through AIT/OSUT, much less all the way to, and almost none through RASP. So what is the benefit to the army or Regiment to even have an opt40 program? Almost none, except it draws into the army kids who would otherwise join other services in order to fail enroute to the SEAL or PJ programs.
Your best bet is to prove yourself to the army, whatever you did in the Marines is just a big yawn, you must prove yourself in the army pipeline. What the army is doing now, as a primary source of ranger hopefuls, is to mine the proven commodity, those who are proving themselves in AIT/OSUT by being in the top 10-20% of their classes academicaly and who can max in PT. The regiment has reached out to TRADOC on this. The drills will recommend the best prospects to the ranger laison/recruiters and those who want to can have a chance at airborne/RASP.

My understanding is that PS get no enlistment options, although this changes from time to time. If you can, get the airborne opt.4, that will at least get you to Ft Benning and the army will not have to pay you TDY (that's 'TAD' to you sailors & Marines) and you can present your credentials to the Ranger laison at jump school.
If you really want it and have what it takes, you should have no problem accepting the risk by enlisting cold and doing your best.

Bottom line is that this is all about money. You don't matter, no matter how 'hooyah' you are because the line at the Ranger door is long. Some stud will fill your slot - Regiment will not miss you.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on February 22nd, 2011, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Did you read this?

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is exactly what the recruiters will reference.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Dan24
USMC Veteran

Post by Dan24 »

Rangers,

Ranger goon175, I've read viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56008 dozens of times and it has proved very helpful, thank you for posting it.
Ranger K.Ingraham, thank you for your post, it double tapped on things I had previously heard. If enlisting with an Option 4 is what I need to do then so be it. I was under the impression that this site in no way advocated enlisting with anything other than an Option 40? I did however get ahold of a recruiter who told me to "come on in stud, we'll talk about it". Proceeding.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Did you read this part?
b. If no vacancy exists, the following MOSs will be used for retraining:

(1) Grades E-1 thru E-4 - 18X.
Not trying to bust your balls here bro, but Prior Service guys are put under alot of restrictions. Right now, as an E-4, 18x (Special Forces Candidate) is the only thing you will be able to get. A couple years ago when the enlistment policy for the army was "come one, come all", yeah, prior service guys could get all sorts of shit waived, deals cut, etc. It's not that way these days. I learned this lesson the hard way my first month out on recruiting, had a dude that spent 4 years in the Navy on a SWCC crew, super squared away, in great shape, etc. etc. and wanted to be a Ranger more than anything in the world, and by my estimation, would have made it. Guess what? couldn't do a damn thing for him. It sucks. But its the way things are right now. I would say that you are lucky right now that you even have 18x as an option. I don't know what your views are of SF or Ranger, and what your basing your career decisions on, but either one you will be contributing alot to the GWOT. Be prepared to walk into that recruiters office and have him sell 18x to you.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Dan24
USMC Veteran

Post by Dan24 »

Ranger goon175,

I appreciate the time you are taking to go through this barney style with me. My gut feeling on this is that PS guys are nagging and plugging away as if there is no tomorrow and finally somebody with some say in the chain of command is saying "fine, fine, give him a shot" even though it goes against the pubs. Maybe this is wrong. If I could be given a shot at SF I would take it. Is it my first choice? No, and believe me I know I sound like an ass for even saying that but it's the truth. The history, ethos and name that the Regiment has made for itself and that I heard of while in Iraq is where my mind is at. Endstate I want to be pulling triggers again, but on the next level. I meet with the recruiter next week and will post a sitrep afterwards.

Return to “Recruitment Process”